Nortel Networks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Nortel Networks Interview Questions

2.7

Communications Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Nortel Networks (Research Triangle Park, NC).

Interview

I was first emailed for writing samples and then completed a telephone interview with my soon-to-be supervisor. I was then asked in for an in-person interview with members of the team I'd be joining.
    The people interviewing me were most concerned I'd fit the dynamic of the team they had in place so it was difficult to know what skills and specialties to share that would or would not fit the space they had available.
    Other questions were typical: describe a situation where you overcame difficulties, etc.

Interview Questions

• I was asked for my perception of the company's current difficulties, which included preparing to declare bankruptcy. As a comms person, discussing these issues in a delicate but accurate manner was important for the job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was offered more than I'd ever made before and accepted eagerly.

Program Manager Interview

Interview

Great work environment. Easy hiring process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Nortel Networks.

Interview

Technical interviews - a full day process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join this company.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Product Manager Interview

Interview

As I was internal candidate, interview process was not that stricy .They mainly focussed on my product knowledge as it was inbound Product Mgmt position. My previous role was escallation lead for the same product line . They have checked my indepth domain knowledge, communication skill and social skill to match with the existing team

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate much as I was eagerly waiting for the position

Application

I interviewed at Nortel Networks in February 2010.

Interview

Initial coms : written and email contact.
    2 interviews the same day, 1 with supervisor which was very detailed, second with HR
    which was very very good. Perception of people : very open minded, informative and easy going, office very good, work culture very good.

Interview Questions

• Describe a business case where customer disagrees on your contributions and doesnt change his opinion, what would you do ?   Answer Question

Member of Scientific Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Nortel Networks (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in January 2008.

Interview

Sample code writing, behavioural questions, case studies, met with hr, met with other managers, new employees. gave office tour, met with hr. some on campus, some on site. flew to Ottawa.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here rather than in Toronto?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation possible

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Nortel Networks (Boston, MA) in January 2009.

Interview

The interview process what a bit strange as it was completely over the phone, and didn't require any face to face interaction (or even video chat interaction). There were a few one on one sections of the interview and then it finished with a group chat. There weren't many deep technology questions, instead mostly background questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no real negotation, it was very much 'take it or leave it'

Inside Sales Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Nortel Networks (Richardson, TX) in June 2007.

Interview

Interviewed over the phone only but this is not the typical process. Normally candidates interview with one or two of the inside sales managers and then the sales director. My interview went extremely well and I did not find it in anyway challenging. I was hired the next week. This company was the best company to work for with regard to the friendly people, all of the groups and activities they sponsor and the great benefits they offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe my personality   Answer Question
    • Explain a time when I was faced with a difficult problem and handled it with creatively and innovatively   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. I was told that the position had a set base and set commission rate leaving very little room for negotiation

Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nortel Networks in January 2007.

Interview

First, there was a fairly standard phone interview directly with the manager - no HR involvement. Standard questions were asked: Describe your experience with software development, projects worked on and a chance to ask some questions at the end. After that, an on-site interview was scheduled within a week.

The on-site interview was a panel interview with several people, including the manager, team lead and possible co-workers. Was asked to write code on a whiteboard, implementing fairly straightforward methods to demonstrate that I understood the language and problem domains. Talked a bit about the code and discussed alternate ways to arrive at the solution. Was then asked again to describe projects and past experience.

Overall, a fair process and they were quick to get back to me, within a week.

Interview Questions

• Implement a method to accomplish X (where X is a fairly trivial problem) and describe what exceptions it should throw, as well as what parameters it should take and the return type.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much leeway with negotiations, though relocation was provided after some haggling.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nortel Networks (Ottawa, ON (Canada)) in June 2007.

Interview

I interviewed with 2 people that were the lead managers for the project. It was fairly informal and lasted about one hour. The skills they were looking for were quite specific and I had them due to my previous experience, so that contributed to make the interview less formal and less technical.