North American Bancard User Experience/Information Architect Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1 Interview Review

2.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

User Experience/Information Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at North American Bancard (Troy, MI) in September 2013.

Interview

Interview was relatively brief and to the point. They spoke a good game, but I later learned they had no idea what UX really is. The environment is wide open (which has pros and cons), but it is extremely rigid. You can't eat in the workspace and can't take tags off the chairs.

Interview Questions

• Unexpected: Which college course did you find the most interesting?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no real negotiation. I wanted to move on, so I ended up taking a $10,000 pay cut. I learned why after I arrived. They didn't really have any idea what UX was and how to value someone with the experience I brought to the table. I spent 1% of my time there doing anything that was truly UX-related and I took that upon myself (as any UX professional would). When I offered notes on my heuristic analysis, I was told it wouldn't be needed.

A company like this does not really need UX professionals and I would advise anyone interested in a UX role in this environment to STEER CLEAR COMPLETELY. It can be a decent environment for IT pros, but not for usability and UX pros. They'll have you working on BA or UI initiatives and will leave UX by the wayside.