North Star Resource Group Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

North Star Resource Group Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated May 17, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2017.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and was contacted via email about setting up a phone screening. I had a call where they asked basic background and what I was looking for in my career. The phone call ended with them requesting assessments to be completed online. This was a road block: if the assessments were good, I moved on. If they were bad, it was over. The assessments were acceptable and I was asked to set up an in-person. They gave me videos to watch and react to to bring to the meeting. I met with a recruiting member and had a good conversation. They followed up for a second in-person interview. I came in a week or so later and spoke with the national director of recruiting and development. The purpose of this meeting was to answer lingering questions and "scare me" about the position. This went well and the HR director told me that he would call me with a "final project". This happened on April 13th and it is now May 17th and I have not heard a word from them. I have followed up three times but have not gotten a single response. They completed ghosted me. Very unprofessional manner to do business. If they decided not to proceed, fine, but give some notice and don't make empty promises. Not trustworthy in my opinion for a company that claims to put a focus on the people of the community.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for North Star Resource Group

Financial Advisor/ Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

Deliberate and well thought out process starting with a focus on me, as an individual, and slowly moving towards North Star's mission statement, and how I can add value to the organization. You will have the chance to interview/be interviewed by your future co workers (current advisors) along with others in the organization

Interview Questions

• Knowing the 4-year industry average retention rate for a Financial Advisor is around 17%, what are you going to do to beat the 'odds?'   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Austin, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

When I first applied, it was part of my job application spam to every company hiring, since I just graduated college. They are really fond of Longhorns, so I think that got me a leg up. There was an initial phone interview which was about fifteen minutes long. The woman on the phone was very nice and helped to set me up with an interview in office. When I entered, the woman I had spoken to on the phone led me to the conference room where I watched two videos. She gave me two pamphlets and a magazine to read highlighting female in the workforce. After I finished watching the movies, I was sent to one gentleman, who asked me questions about my future and what I was hoping to gain. Make sure you practice the generic questions about your future. This gentleman was friendly, but direct and shotgun'd questions at me, one after another. He talked a lot about what the company does. When I finished meeting with him, I was set in the conference room, where I was met a few minutes by another gentleman who asked me a couple more questions. He was more laid back it appeared. When I was finished with him, the young lady who initially helped me told me that she would e-mail me about the feedback. When I got home, I saw an e-mail stating that there was very positive feedback about myself, blah blah, and that they wanted to set up another meeting with the big guy. It was set for A MONTH later! As if I had nothing better to do. The e-mail also stated that they wanted me to go out and interview with other financial firms to see which one I liked better. When I finally met with the top guy, he was nice and told me about all the great things that would come. He wanted me to go down to Houston to meet my potential mentor. I did. She was nice and seemed down to earth. I came back with an offer to intern and then start my training in January with the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The company wants you to go where they think there is a booming medical field that can be conquered. My advice- really look into what they want you to do. If sitting in front of a computer ‘researching’ sounds fun, do it. Research means going through every possible site looking for potential clients. I don’t know if there is any real negotiating with that you have to do to be part of the company, but you can try. I am sure you will be shot down, but asking can’t hurt.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Chicago, IL) in June 2011.

Interview

Overall, I was disappointed. This was strictly a sales position. There is no advisory role associated with this at all. It is very marketing focused where one has to bring in clients. The training period can last up to three years and the pay is not satisfactory to the work required. The interview process also takes a lengthy time. I believe it consists of five or six steps. I would recommend shortening the interview process to two or three interviews.

Interview Questions

• In the past two years, what have you done that was primarily for personal growth and self-development?   Answer Question
    • What appeals to you about this career?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2011.

Interview

After getting to the office 15 mins early I was asked to wait in a lobby for roughly 25 mins. The lobby is not on the same floor as the office. I was then asked to ride up the padded elevator to the fourth floor. I was wearing professional business attire and well prepared for the interview. I was greeted on the fourth floor by a lady in jeans and a fleece. The interview took approximately 5 mins. I was asked about 3 questions and the interviewer didn't look me in the eye even once. When she was done writing on a pad of paper (clearly unprepared and unaware an interview was even taking place) she looked at me and gave me a list of reasons why I was not a good fit for the company, none of which seemed to make any sense at all as to how they pertained to the job I was applying for. Her tone was incredibly condescending, a peculiar recruitment approach. She talked at me as if I was in middle school. I have had interviews with many companies in the same industry and have never had one as terrible as this. I tried to ask a couple questions I had prepared for the interview but ended up forcing out a smile and leaving. I felt terrible for coming and even worse for trying. If this is their recruiting practice I would seriously reconsider getting on board with this organization.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2011.

Interview

I learned about this job at my university career fair. The recruiter seemed really nice, we had an interview on campus the following day where she asked general interview questions, nothing difficult. She talked to me a couple days later and we set up a time to come to the office to talk to people that work there about the job and expectations. The whole thing took about 3 hours, they had me watch 3 videos about selling the financial products and I talked to 2 people in the training part of the job and one of the senior advisors. Everyone was really nice and it did seem like a really fun work environment but my perception of the job was completely wrong. It is 100% cold calling to get people to come to dinners where the senior advisors make a presentation in the hopes that someone will decide to use them. Not what I had in mind for my career.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a conflict on the job and how you went about resolving it.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group in January 2010.

Interview

I reached out to a local office regarding a marketing internship in my senior year of college. I had my initial interview with the office manager, then a national level recruiter then the senior partner in the branch office.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about becoming a financial advisor? What makes North Star unique?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was none.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2009.

Interview

very professional environment but the interview was very informal and seemed to be part of a multi-interview process

Interview Questions

• what is the hardest thing you have had to do in your life?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Portland, OR) in October 2009.

Interview

had a phone call with the regional manager, he convinced me to come in for a one on one interview. The RM talked about making > six figures in less than 6 years and focused only on money and nothing else. The interview seemed a little unorganized and often times I would be told one thing would happen, only to be followed by something different

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. It was an informational interview   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group in December 2011.

Interview

Emailed a "Talent Recruitment" employee with a brief cover letter and resume. Phone interview was scheduled a couple days later. Interviewer was not friendly at all, but the questions were pretty standard (i.e. strengths, weaknesses, time you failed, time you succeeded).

Interview Questions

• What is one of your weaknesses?   1 Answer