North Star Resource Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

2.7

Financial Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Chicago, IL) in April 2011.

Interview

I was asked to first take a short online assessment, only half-hour long. They ask 72 questions, and duplicate each one. The first time they ask you to answer as you believe would make the most favorable impression. The second time--same question--they'll ask you to answer as truthfully as possible.

Then when I came in, the interview was ridiculously easy, to the point of making me suspicious (sure enough, as you'll see...). Basically, she asked me if I had any questions. Then we went over my resume, where she asked me to talk about each one of my previous job experiences. And then, once more, she asked if I had any questions. That was it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous work experience. (honestly, this is all she asked, besides asking if I had any questions, that's why it was ridiculously easy)   Answer Question

I'd done my research beforehand, and found out you have to pay a lot of your own money to become licensed to sell financial services. Income's almost entirely commission. For every 20 client-meets during training, you only get $250. Overall, it's just not worth it, not at all. I've heard of people actually LOSING money at this job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Minneapolis, MN) in June 2011.

Interview

After getting to the office 15 mins early I was asked to wait in a lobby for roughly 25 mins. The lobby is not on the same floor as the office. I was then asked to ride up the padded elevator to the fourth floor. I was wearing professional business attire and well prepared for the interview. I was greeted on the fourth floor by a lady in jeans and a fleece. The interview took approximately 5 mins. I was asked about 3 questions and the interviewer didn't look me in the eye even once. When she was done writing on a pad of paper (clearly unprepared and unaware an interview was even taking place) she looked at me and gave me a list of reasons why I was not a good fit for the company, none of which seemed to make any sense at all as to how they pertained to the job I was applying for. Her tone was incredibly condescending, a peculiar recruitment approach. She talked at me as if I was in middle school. I have had interviews with many companies in the same industry and have never had one as terrible as this. I tried to ask a couple questions I had prepared for the interview but ended up forcing out a smile and leaving. I felt terrible for coming and even worse for trying. If this is their recruiting practice I would seriously reconsider getting on board with this organization.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Baltimore, MD) in January 2015.

Interview

Called by HR, personality test. Skype interview with VP. I think that it was pretty easy, just be cool and laid back. The managers seemed okay to talk too, but the interns looked pretty depressed. It looks like things could turn out bad for me as an intern, so I declined.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2009.

Interview

very professional environment but the interview was very informal and seemed to be part of a multi-interview process

Interview Questions

• what is the hardest thing you have had to do in your life?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Portland, OR) in October 2009.

Interview

had a phone call with the regional manager, he convinced me to come in for a one on one interview. The RM talked about making > six figures in less than 6 years and focused only on money and nothing else. The interview seemed a little unorganized and often times I would be told one thing would happen, only to be followed by something different

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions. It was an informational interview   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Minneapolis, MN) in May 2011.

Interview

I learned about this job at my university career fair. The recruiter seemed really nice, we had an interview on campus the following day where she asked general interview questions, nothing difficult. She talked to me a couple days later and we set up a time to come to the office to talk to people that work there about the job and expectations. The whole thing took about 3 hours, they had me watch 3 videos about selling the financial products and I talked to 2 people in the training part of the job and one of the senior advisors. Everyone was really nice and it did seem like a really fun work environment but my perception of the job was completely wrong. It is 100% cold calling to get people to come to dinners where the senior advisors make a presentation in the hopes that someone will decide to use them. Not what I had in mind for my career.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a conflict on the job and how you went about resolving it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Austin, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

When I first applied, it was part of my job application spam to every company hiring, since I just graduated college. They are really fond of Longhorns, so I think that got me a leg up. There was an initial phone interview which was about fifteen minutes long. The woman on the phone was very nice and helped to set me up with an interview in office. When I entered, the woman I had spoken to on the phone led me to the conference room where I watched two videos. She gave me two pamphlets and a magazine to read highlighting female in the workforce. After I finished watching the movies, I was sent to one gentleman, who asked me questions about my future and what I was hoping to gain. Make sure you practice the generic questions about your future. This gentleman was friendly, but direct and shotgun'd questions at me, one after another. He talked a lot about what the company does. When I finished meeting with him, I was set in the conference room, where I was met a few minutes by another gentleman who asked me a couple more questions. He was more laid back it appeared. When I was finished with him, the young lady who initially helped me told me that she would e-mail me about the feedback. When I got home, I saw an e-mail stating that there was very positive feedback about myself, blah blah, and that they wanted to set up another meeting with the big guy. It was set for A MONTH later! As if I had nothing better to do. The e-mail also stated that they wanted me to go out and interview with other financial firms to see which one I liked better. When I finally met with the top guy, he was nice and told me about all the great things that would come. He wanted me to go down to Houston to meet my potential mentor. I did. She was nice and seemed down to earth. I came back with an offer to intern and then start my training in January with the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The company wants you to go where they think there is a booming medical field that can be conquered. My advice- really look into what they want you to do. If sitting in front of a computer ‘researching’ sounds fun, do it. Research means going through every possible site looking for potential clients. I don’t know if there is any real negotiating with that you have to do to be part of the company, but you can try. I am sure you will be shot down, but asking can’t hurt.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Philadelphia, PA) in May 2012.

Interview

It was a good process. Phone screen with general questions. Then an in person interview where we talked about athletics and how that translates into cold calling/sales. Then the last one was with the senior director who is a really nice guy and very reasonable.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

There are three separate interviews with different advisers. All of the advisers are very nice and most of the process is just them explaining what they do and you asking them questions about your responsibilities. It is important to come prepared with questions to ask or the interview will be somewhat short.

Interview Questions

• They ask about some previous work history and what you know about their business.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at North Star Resource Group in August 2015.

Interview

The job interview was conducted in four separate parts. You spoke with four different people from the company. One was the head of their HR department. The next two were employees of the branch you would be intending to work at. And the fourth, at least for me, was the vice president of the company.