Northrop Grumman Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,033 Interview Reviews

2.6

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Baltimore, MD) in April 2017.

Interview

It was the single worst experience of my life interviewing with them. I started the application back in November, don't hear back but attend a live in person conference in February. There I was granted an in person interview where I impressed the manager there and he recommended me to the mission sector team. I don't hear back for another six weeks in march. Where they had me attend their virtual career fair where I had to wait in queue for one hour each to talk to two recruiters and HR. We were only granted 10 minutes each but I made the best of my situation and impressed the two there as well. They tend have me attend another interview event in Baltimore relating to a group interview panel. The entire interview took 6.5 hours and the recruiters there invited me to a software engineer interview, a position I was never qualified for or had any chance of succeeding. The worst part is they call out everyone at the event they wanted to hire one by one and tell them they are writing the offer letter as they speak and left the rejects in an isolated room. The recruiters there lied to my face, knew I didn't get the offer, and isolated me from the rest of my group in a dark corner because the hiring managers decided I wasn't qualified for a position I never applied for. They then wasted even more of my time by forcing me to wait for everyone else who got their offers to leave before I was let out of my corner to finally go home as if it wasn't bad enough I didn't get the offer but they had to waste even more of my time by making me the literal last person to leave the hotel. And to make matters more convoluted, they post three new model based/architecture systems engineer positions that I was qualified for the night before the interview but never granted me a chance to interview for that area of specialty. Before this interview process I looked up and idolized Northrop Grumman as one of my goal and dream jobs and they repaid me by stringing me along, giving me false hope, lying to me, isolating me, and effectively screwing me out of a job I was qualified for by posting the jobs right before my interview. This entire process took 6 months and I came out of it looking like a chump and absolutely worthless. If they want you for the job, they will bend over backwards to get you an interview but if they don't want you they will essentially treat you like trash. I have never lost so much respect for a company I used to admire and look up to as much as Northrop Grumman and never been treated so poorly during an interview I almost wanted to cry.

College Technical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview was primarily devoted to drawing static force diagrams on engineering drawings to test intuition of structural engineering. In general the interview was extremely intense. Those I have spoken to who interviewed with the same manager say he takes every opportunity to put you at unease, which is in perfect conformance to my experiences.

Interview Questions

• What were the greatest engineering challenges that you faced for this project?   Answer Question

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview with managers. 4 face to face interviews total. Mostly technical questions, some behavioral questions. Had to draw up a binary tree which was easy. Overall pretty difficult technical questions.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a call from a recruiter. After a few general questions (salary range, etc) she set me up with a 3 person panel telephone interview the following week. They asked a lot of job specific questions, and very few "standard" interview questions. I was as prepared as I could have been, but a lot of questions and desired qualifications were not listed in the job description.
    I felt pretty good after the interview, but didn't hear back from them or the recruiter. After a few days, I checked the application site and found my status had changed to "no longer under consideration". It seems a common trend for
    Companies to not inform you if you didn't get the job, even though a simple email would do.
    Oh well.

Composite Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pico Rivera, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Pico Rivera, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Flew from the east coast to Los Angeles, then caught a cab to Pico Rivera, CA. Got through the security screen, then into a small room with an engineering manager.

Interview Questions

• How much experience did I have with robots doing wet layups with graphite epoxy composites?   1 Answer
    • The interviewer fell asleep. I walked out, got in the same cab, went back to the airport, and went home.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview

The recruiting manager interviewed me over the phone for 30 minutes and then I went in for the in-person interview in Colorado Springs. Had to drive there from 120 miles away. The project manager was very pleasant but the technical interview was very difficult as the technical management asked questions many graduate students do not know. They seemed that they were unimpressed and had already had a guy that they were going to hire.

Interview Questions

• Las Vegas Method, Anonymous Interclassing   3 Answers
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   1 Answer

Operations Interview

Interview

Meeting with several in hiring and management many, many behavior based questions. Started with a phone screen, then onsite. Took several months to go between the initial interview, the onsite and negotiation. The salary was certainly non negotiable. Overall a very lengthy process and very long interview.

Interview Questions

• Basically, anything negative - what is your biggest weakness   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ogden, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Ogden, UT) in February 2012.

Interview

Applied on the Northrop website. Was contacted by phone to setup an interview within a few weeks. Interview panel consisted of 4 head engineers from different departments. I don't remember the questions asked. I only remember leaving the room feeling like the dumbest person in the world.

Interview Questions

• Only questions I remember were "How competent are you in finite element analyses?" and "What's your favorite class you've taken in college?"   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Palmdale, CA) in August 2009.

Interview

Interest by HR and Management and I had 1 interview by Chief Engineer and 2 other managers.

They indicated in the Job Description on what they wanted. I was prepared for the specifics. But turned the tables indicating they where looking for other specific experiences. End of interview. Waited 3 weeks for a response. Not selected Wishing future endevers. Basically it was of waste of my time.
    Management was not interested in lots of experience on what the requisition posted indicated.
    Poor HR Skills in there office. Culture white only.

Interview Questions

• What is your interpretation of the word comparability?   1 Answer
    • Are you a detailed person or a big picture person.   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport News, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Newport News, VA) in May 2008.

Interview

I was told from the beginning and for the duration of the interview that I was unqualified and would not like working in this particular department. Despite having listed my college degree and major field of study (physics), I was told that my degree had nothing to do with work at the shipyard. This made me ask exactly why I was being interviewed in the first place because I kept my degree and major no secret. I asked several times why I wouldn't like working in that department, and the question was ignored.

Within the first few minutes of the interview, I was being shown the door without an opportunity for me to ask questions, so I asked anyway. When I asked about educational opportunities and training within the company, I was directed to a social networking site that had nothing at all to do with training opportunities. Before leaving the interview, I was told that it didn't matter about my interview because they needed someone to start right away, and I was not immediately available due to my having to give notice at my current job.

Funny enough, I was called one month later with an offer for the job. That didn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about accepting the offer.

Interview Questions

The interview experience was terrible. The manager seemed like he hated everyone. The interview experience made me concerned about accepting this job. I couldn't understand how such a negative interview resulted in a job offer. I called HR and explained that I was nervous about accepting the offer due to the experience, and I would like to ask a couple of questions, mainly why am I receiving an offer after being told that I'm completely unqualified and that physics has nothing to do with anything at the shipyard. I never received an answer. They did call back a couple times, without answers to my questions, to ask me to sign the offer, which I ultimately declined. The main reasons for declining were fear of being fired for any reason due to a manager who seemed to hate me from first sight to working for someone who expects me to deliver on a goal without even telling me what that goal is supposed to be.