Northrop Grumman Software Engineer II Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Northrop Grumman Software Engineer II Interview Questions

2.2

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Rude interviewer. Tried to play the intimidating card. First question: What my old manager would say about me if he was to call. "Well I was up for promotion when I was laid off"... what else is there to say, if you want to know more about how my previous coworkers judged my work performance, call them yourself, I'll supply the numbers. Complete waste of my time. How about you call him for yourself buddy.. BEFORE THE INTERVIEW. NO TIME FOR GAMES HERE. If you want time out of my life working for you, how about some respect.

Interview Questions

• How would your coworkers describe your work performance?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Northrop Grumman

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Gainesville, FL).

Interview

they held a "career fair" in Gainesville, FL. Turns out that this was actually standing in line to be interviewed on-the-spot. Only then did they tell me that they weren't hiring people there but they were recruiting for positions in St. Louis. I have no interest whatsoever in moving to St Louis. The online ad said nothing about this and just described it as a job fair.

Seriously? I wasted my time for that? I walked out the door on that one.

Interview Questions

• Are you interested in relocating to St. Louis?   1 Answer

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman in May 2016.

Interview

Waste of time. I applied online and was contacted by recruiter. After 3 weeks I contacted the recruiter and was selected for a phone interview. Then I had to fill up another online application. After several miscommunication incidents. Someone finally called the conference call and asked the same questions the recruiter asked. I had no opportunity to ask questions about the position and was quickly dismissed.
    It was obvious to me they already had a candidate and were just going through the motions of the hiring process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camarillo, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Camarillo, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone screening from the recruiter. From there, I was able to schedule an interview. It involved 6 people. They mainly asked questions about my experience. I am not sure they looked at my resume closely, because they assumed I recently graduated with very little job experience. After the first interview I was lead to believe they were interested in me. I came in to the second interview, where I was interviewed by a senior engineer. There were no technical questions involved in this process, which makes me wonder how the decision was made. I was lead on for 3 straight months(told they liked me and wanted to hire me but they needed some approval) about some issue in their structure. Even after accepting the inevitable, I was still told that they wanted to hire me and it was an issue with structure. Months later, I am rejected without any explanation, after leading me on for 3 months. I did not get a response after I sent an email asking for any feedback.

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

The interview process was a group interview with 2 other members, both from NG, but at the client's location (USPS). They were both very friendly and great people. If you were to go by the interview, I would have stayed with NG longer. However, NG doesn't dictate business requirements. There were some technical questions, but it was much more about your ability to work through problems than it was to write perfect code on the white board, although I did.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the specifics, other than writing a few queries to join tables, and to go across databases.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

Straightforward. Friendly and polite. They were most interested in determining if I had the skills to do the job effectively. I was honest with my strengths and weaknesses. Entire face to face interview lasted 2 hours with senior engineers.

Software Engineer II Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview

It was a new grad interview. It took 2 days. They paid for foods, flights, lodging. Interviewers were very nice and friendly. Pretty easy-going conversation on what I've done throughout college. No technical questions asked.

Engineer Software II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Oklahoma City, OK).

Interview

I was recruited into the interview process at a career fair through my university. They were in need of competent and enthusiastic software engineers for the B-2 modernization program out in Oklahoma City. The interview process was a 1-day affair where we rotated through hiring managers for different parts of the program.

Interview Questions

• What would be your dream position with us here at Northrop Grumman? (Often hard to narrow down exactly what you are interested in while still being open minded!)   Answer Question

I found a different offer in a location better for personal reasons.

Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Huntsville, AL) in June 2013.

Interview

Upon filling out an application directly on Northrop's Corporate website one weekend, I received an email from HR asking me to complete a questionnaire the following week which had questions like 1. Why do you think you would be a good fit for this position? 2. Why are you looking to leave your current job? 3. What (if any) of the job requirements do you meet for the job description? What salary do you make now and what salary are you asking for?

Once I filled out the questionnaire, I received an email the following day from HR to schedule an interview. We scheduled it for the following week.

I showed up wearing a suit and tie and was impressed by the level of friendliness and reception I was greeted with by the front desk and fellow passer by's when I arrived. The morale appeared to be very high over there. My POC, the hiring manager then came and greeted me and showed me around, basically giving me an overview of the project. It was very exciting to get introduced to the technology I would potentially get to play a part in developing on and see it first hand before the interview. It gave me a lot of enthusiasm and a way to bond with the hiring manager a little prior to the interview - which certainly eased the pressure.

We then conducted the interview along with an additional senior engineer for more technical-related questions. The hiring manager began the interview by asking me what I had been doing at my current job, and what my experience was with certain languages and source control. Next, the technical manager asked what specific areas of the project I worked on at my current job and the type of development processes we used . Upon answering those questions, we casually conversed about how my experience was inter-related and would prove useful on their project, and even got into some casual small talk and humorous reminiscing. Other questions were asked such as 1. What do aspects of Software Engineering you enjoy doing the most? 2. What's a typical development cycle for you where you work?

Concluding the interview, I could tell both of the managers were extremely satisfied about the experience, as was I, and they made to express how great of a fit I was for the role. It gave me great peace of mind and confidence that I would probably get the job. Sure enough, I received a call a couple days later from HR extending me an offer with higher a salary than I had initially requested! I immediately accepted the offer and was then directed to fill out necessary documents on their website to complete the offer, undergo the standard DoD background check, etc.

Overall, this was the best interview I had ever experienced period, and the management really made me excited to join the company and the project. My advice, come in prepared, relax, smile, and be yourself with a great attitude. These folks are great people, and you have no need to be nervous.

Interview Questions

• Nothing about the interview was difficult or unexpected. Just your standard interview formatted questions coupled with some lighted-hearted conversation to establish your social abilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation was simple and I feel I possibly undershot my potential target salary. However, the offer proved to be more than my target salary. So no complaints!

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (El Segundo, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

Northrop Grumman hosts 2-3 large job fairs every year. An alumni from my graduate program invited me to one of the job fairs. The job fair has many groups within the company looking for candidates to work on their projects so it is in your best interest to open many important looking people since impressing them lands you interviews. Beware of functional managers performing the interviews because you're likely going to be placed on a bad project where no one wants to work. If the team lead is not present at the interview, he or she is usually a jerk and no one wants to work for him or her. That is why the functional manager is performing the interview; the functional can seem nice but place you on a horrible project desperate for people because no one is willing to deal with the team lead. This happened to me.

Interview Questions

• How do you swap variables without using a temporary variable? Assume the variables are always integers.   2 Answers