Northrop Grumman Software Engineer III Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Northrop Grumman Software Engineer III Interview Questions

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Oklahoma City, OK) in February 2016.

Interview

Casual and friendly. Not a skills demonstration as I had expected it to be. Sat down for about 40 minutes with the immediate team supervisor, and a higher-level manager. The manager said he didn't like skills demonstrations, and found that just getting to know someone worked better for him. They talked about what they did, what the job would likely entail, and asked about my background.

Interview Questions

• In my previous job, WHO had asked me to build the systems I had put together? What kind of 'task form' had they used to task me? What documentation was in place to authorize me to innovate and be creative?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Northrop Grumman

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (San Diego, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

This interview was for Information Systems in San Diego for Systems Test group.

The process was very straightforward. I was called by the Hiring Manager about 2 months after I submitted my application. He asked a few general questions, then we scheduled an interview for the next week. The interview was a GROUP interview with Hiring manager + 3 senior engineers from the same group. Hiring manager asked the high level questions like "why are you making transition" etc. One of the senior engineers, however, gave me a paper quiz for LabVIEW code (this was a labVIEW developer position). The first quiz was on basics. Then he asked me to analyze some printed code. Finally, he asked me to find a bug in some code.

Overall, it was a good experience and the interview board was very nice. I was contacted a couple weeks later with an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

We were in negotiations for about 1.5 months. It took a while because the manager took a vacation and the recruiter left the company during the process. However, in the end, I ended up getting more than I had actually expected. Stick to email negotiations - you can stay concise and the information can be passed on from the recruiter to the hiring manager without being tainted. There was alot of room to push, but I had to justify my figures very well. Also remember that the recruiter is on your side.

Software Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman.

Interview

Overall the process was smooth. Upon applying on-line, got a call the next day from a recruiter to talk the basics: current compensation, availability, etc. The next day, a different HR person called to set up a phone interview, which was all confirmed by e-mail. Excellent process. Held phone interview with hiring team. Two days later my applicant status moved from interview to "interview pending feedback," where it has been now for more than a month. No further feedback from HR. I wish they would pay a little more attention to getting back to the applicant after the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the most difficult technical challenge you have faced in the course of your career?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (McLean, VA) in September 2010.

Interview

I applied for the job and got a call from the hiring manager directly. I was surprised that HR didnt call. A 30 minute phone interview happened in a few days time. The interviewer focussed on core java/j2ee based questions. There were some spring/hibernate questions as well which could be found online. I was called for an onsite interview in a few days and had similar technical round. The met the Program manager, who gave overview of the project and expectation.
    They also wanted other team members opinion and so I was asked to attend one more phone interview. This time the technical questions were more detailed and was at the level of syntax. Again, you can find these questions frequently asked in interviews and could be found online.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I had other offers, but gave them up for Northrop due to the company's reputation as a defense contractor. I also accepted a lower salary and called up the HR person and agreed to their offer even though it was 10k less than my demand. I could have probably waited for a few more days to HR to return with more concrete analysis.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (San Diego, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

Meet with HR briefly. Then meet with process managers for 30 minutes for standard "how do you handle conflict" type of questions. Next, meet with SW Engineers that asked my background and examples to test my skill level. While finishing up with HR, asked me if I could come back after lunch. They paid for lunch and when I returned, talked with project managers that I would be working for. 2.5 Hrs total not including lunch.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a work place conflict and if so, how did you solve it?   1 Answer
    • What's wrong with this code?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The campus/site/branch had a dedicated "Talent Acquisition" person. After being offered a 5% raise over my previous job, I requested either a larger raise (7% total) or a pay grade increase (from SW level 3 to 4). After a week they got back to me and gave me neither! They did give me a $3k signing bonus since I was moving from L.A. to San Diego. (Job was not eligible for relocation funds but the $3k was about equal to it.)

Software Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman in January 2009.

Interview

The interview was with HR as well as the technical manager. There was discussion of software design approaches, what your strength and weaknesses were, and an opportunity to speak with one of the staff members of the technical team. There was alot of chit chatting in the side offices.