Northrop Grumman Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 21, 2017

2.4

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

I attended the Black Engineers of the Year Awards (BEYA). They had plenty of recruiters onsite. Compared with other companies there, they had the most energy and enthusiasm to hire and speech with potential employees. The interview was across the street. It was mostly behavior. Overall, it was a great experience and an made an outstanding impression.

Interview Questions

• They asked for my geographical preference.   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

I was able to get an interview from a regional conference. My experience was very pleasant. The recruiters seemed to be knowledgeable about the engineering process. They were definitely interested in candidates that were passionate about the company.

Interview Questions

• Name something that makes yourself valuable to the company?   Answer Question

Program Manager II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Washington, DC).

Interview

Started with a phone interview with HR. Then an appointment was set for a face to face interview. After this there was a panel interview with mostly operational questions. Then there was a personality test given. This was in a group setting and mostly straightforward. The meetings were very relaxed and cordial in the setting. There was some 1:1 face time with a few in the group during tours. This was for a sensitive program and only limited information was given at the time.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

Phone screen. Very basic questions surrounding experience as it relates to position. No behavioral or technical questions. The recruiter simply checked to see if I met the basic qualifications for the position and then scheduled a second phone interview with hiring manager \team. I declined the interview because I was not interested in the position after getting further details from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience with each aspect of the jobs basic qualifications   1 Answer

I declined because I was not interested in the position.

Mechanical Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

Interviewed at an engineering conference. There was a pre-screen with your resume to see if basic qualifications are met followed by a 30 minute interview. I was fortunate enough to be given an "on-the-spot" offer. This is not uncommon depending on staffing needs. I have heard of lengthier processes from my peer group. I believe I was fortunate to get in this way.

Interview Questions

• Example of a difficult engineering problem you solved and the steps you took to solve it.   Answer Question

Computer Systems Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Washington, DC) in May 2013.

Interview

Applied online with my resume and recieved a call from the recruiter asking if I was available for a phone interview, Was offered the job and flew out and met the customer and they were pleased with my in person interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you make yourself a part of our team?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiation was mostly about salary and starting time. I asked for their salary range and asked for a little above it and recieved it. I asked to start immediately and I was started within 2 weeks.

Systems and Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Washington, DC) in March 2013.

Interview

NGC is a big company and it shows. You don't really have an offer until you have a written one in hand - even if the recruiter says they're going forward with an offer and you'll see it in a few days.

The long version:

Two recruiters told me that they wanted me to interview for three NGC positions. My first two interviews went so well that one recruiter advised me to abandon the third lead. One recruiter emails me on a Thursday to tell me that they're going forward with an offer and that I should hear something early the next week.

I didn't hear anything for two weeks after I was told I would be getting an offer in a few days. I delayed accepting another offer to give NGC a chance to follow through on their promised offer. My emails/voicemails to the recruiter went unanswered.

I eventually had to give up on NGC based on the recruiters' lack of response. I accepted another offer and courteously informed all my POC at NGC that I am withdrawing my interest. Only then did that job-offering recruiter reply back to tell me that they filled the position internally.

Since I had already withdrawn, I cannot fathom any professional purpose justifying their telling me that they have selected another candidate. (you didn't really withdraw your interest, we rejected you!) That information would have been relevant and professional before I withdrew. Instead, the recruiter ignored me while I tried to give them consideration with another offer in hand.

Everybody in the interviews themselves were very nice, pleasant, and professional. My negative experience came afterwards with the recruiters and, possibly, the hiring managers.

In theory, I had three leads, two very interested hiring managers, and one offer of employment. In reality, I had bad communication, recruiters not returning my calls, a false job offer, and a spiteful response telling me that my withdrawal was moot because I would not have been hired anyway.

Interview Questions

• Nobody interviewing me was at/above my level of knowledge. The interview questions were actually their current problems and my answers seemed like they were more like "free consulting ideas" than an evaluation of my abilities and experience.   Answer Question

Military Capabilities Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Washington, DC) in January 2013.

Interview

This being my first interview while transitioning out of the military, I had no idea what to expect. When I sat down and interviewed with the hiring manager for a job I was currently doing in uniform, it seemed to go well. The hiring manager acted like my friend and everything seemed like it would work out in my favor. I was told I would hear back from the interviewer in few days, but it took over two weeks to hear anything and it was simply that I was no longer in consideration and I would be contacted by the company. I was never contacted by the company. During the whole interview process the hiring manager acted as if it was a foregone conclusion that the job was mine.

Cyber Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Washington, DC) in March 2012.

Interview

Met company recruiter at a career fair. Did a 2:1 on-site interview. I described all technical experiences on my resume. I was asked a few other behavioral questions.

About 2 weeks later i was called in for an on-site interview with a senior engineer/manager. I re-explained technical experience on my resume. It was stated verbally at the end of the interview that I would get an offer.

I got an offer about 3-5 days later.

Interview Questions

• You seem like a hardware focused guy. Would you be interested in a position that is software focused.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my starting salary. I thought the salary was average and a 10% increase would have put it in the competitive range. I called my HR recruiter back and requested a 10% increase and stated a few reasons why. (Experience etc.).

I was told the offer was a standard college offer but that they would check. A few days later i was told an increase was not possible. I responded that i would need more time to determine if i would accept the offer at that price point. The HR recruiter called back later that day stating they could get a 5% increase.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Northrop Grumman (Washington, DC) in November 2011.

Interview

HR sent email and called to inform the interview location and time. I was greeted at the reception area by the HR person and was asked if I would like to have water or coffee. I was taken to a conference room and asked to wait for the manager and technical lead.

Interview Questions

• Explain the features of MS Exchange   1 Answer