Northwestern Mutual Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Northwestern Mutual Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Feb 9, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poughkeepsie, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Poughkeepsie, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process is easy and done in a professional/relaxed environment. It is nothing to be too stressed about. Just like any interview process, come prepared with questions. The interviewer is friendly and more than happy to answer any questions or doubts you might have.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY).

Interview

It was not what was described on the listing. Total insurance sales job with comission. Must generate own leads. Just wasn't worth the time spent. Wouldn't want to work here.

Interview Questions

• Could you sell to family? Could you close? Typical sales questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Fairfield, CT) in January 2017.

Interview

For me the process when like this:

Step 1:
    Meet with the Selection Manager, who goes over your resume and background, and talks about the company, very basic stuff. The Selection Manager will ask questions like what are your goals, what kind of income would you like to make and where do you see yourself in the future.

Step 2:
    The Selection Manager will send you an online personality assessment, to see if you have the personality to do the job. The test takes 30-45mins. Depending on how you do, they will schedule an interview with the District Director.

Step 3:
    Now you will meet with the District Director. The Director reviews your assessment scores and talks more about the position, and the financial products the company sells. Next, there will be questions about your professional network and the size of your network, since you will have to tap your network to build leads. At Northwestern Mutual you start from scratch, which means calling on family and friends.

Step 4:
    At the end of the meeting with the District Director, he/she will ask you to complete a specified number of "Market Surveys" which you will use to build your prospect list. When you complete the specified number of surveys, you can schedule the next interview. This list is important because you are going to use it to build your sales funnel. Ideally, you need a network of around 300 people.

Step 5:
    During this phase of the interview, you will talk about commissions and the required licenses to sell insurance and investment products. Also, they want to meet someone close to you (spouse, partner, family member) to ensure you have support during the start-up phase of your career. Additionally, they want to know if this is a good time for you financially and will help you create a budget to see how much you need to make to cover your expenses and be successful as an advisor.

Step 6:
    Finally, you're conditionally offered the position, if you pass the required licenses to sell insurance and investments.

I hope my experience helps in your decision-making process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

They have 3 rounds of interview. The first round is talking to the one who emailed you, going through the resume and talk about their company. If you are interested. You will get to the next round. The manager will talk to you. Then in the 3rd round, they will talk about details

Interview Questions

It's all sales commission based salary. They only give you 5k as a beginner. Then you have to pass an exam to become insurance sales person. And then after one year. You need to pass another test, so you can become the financial advisor. You need pre-pay all the exam cost. And have to pass the exam in order to get the money back from the company. If you are really good at selling and have a good communication skill and strong social net work. Try it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Cleveland, OH) in January 2017.

Interview

There's a 4-5 step interviewing process, basically you are being recruited to sell life insurance. They entice you with a 6k signing bonus but there is no base salary so if you don't like selling and cold calling it may not be the place for you. If you are okay with living off commission alone then give it a try. They do offer to sponsor you for licensing and training which is a plus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Atlanta, GA) in December 2016.

Interview

4 different interviews with assignments. First Interview was just an in person interview where they described the company and the internship. The second interview I had to bring in a list of all my friends and family to show them how big my network is. Third I had to call 4 people on my list and ask them questions that they prepared. The last was a powerpoint presentation in front of 4 people.

Interview Questions

• What does your network look like   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Four rounds of interviews. They say that you can bring your family with you to the last interview (so they can sell life insurance to them). I was immediately turned off by their tactic and red flags shot up. I will not going to sell financial products to my family and friends.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The initial visit was an in-person interview at the office. Its purpose is to see whether we are a mutual fit. After sharing my experiences, the interviewer pitched the company's strengths as well. People with no prior licensing can only sell insurance at the beginning. The interviewer was approachable. It was an overall good experience, but the job is not for me.

Interview Questions

• What other companies in the industry do you know?   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in November 2016.

Interview

Gave me a phone call to set a phone interview next week. Though the interview, I noticed this job is nothing about financial, it is more like sales.This job does not have a base salary, and this job does not sponsor H1B, she can not offer this job to me.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Recruiter called me to conduct the initial phone interview. Then, she went through my resume and ask some behavior questions. Eg: What do you know about our company? why do you chose to become a financial adviser? Do you need sponsorship?