Northwestern Mutual Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Northwestern Mutual Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2017

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Met with a recruiter on the phone and then met with the Managing Director. We discussed the career and the opportunity. First year income was slightly exaggerated but I'm still here and happy.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Advisor Interview

Interview

I met with the hiring recruiter, very professional,straight forward questions. Also met with the director, she worked with me to truly understand if this was the right position for me.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2017.

Interview

3 interviews that take less than a half hour each. They started off getting to know me, then in depth of how I could handle people, and then showed me what they were doing

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

The office in Manhattan on park ave., I entered and was greeted by the front desk to fill out a in-take form. Sat in the waiting room being 20 minutes early, I saw two candidates get taken in for interviews. The lobby is very nice, great office space.

I was greeted by hiring manager Caitlin, she was pleasantly outgoing. She went over my past experience, wanted to know what I had been doing since I graduated and what I wanted in a role. Very conversational lasted about 45 minutes and presented the personality test to me. She went over what the test results were and how they were good for sales lead role and called me back for a second interview.

The second round interview met with one of the managers. He was hesitant at first, he had a notepad to list what I wanted to talk about, before engaging in any conversation. He went over what the role was, how the structure of the company and then broke down in a presentation the numbers of what is needed to succeed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Poughkeepsie, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Poughkeepsie, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process is easy and done in a professional/relaxed environment. It is nothing to be too stressed about. Just like any interview process, come prepared with questions. The interviewer is friendly and more than happy to answer any questions or doubts you might have.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Provo, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

Very professional, looking for applicants with a desire to learn and grow in the financial world. The process was a total of two interviews and two assignments. One interview, then the two assignments, and then the second interview. Interviewers were very nice and friendly.

Anonymous Employee in Logan, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Logan, UT) in February 2017.

Interview

Met with multiple people from the office where i would work, to the CDO and Managing Partner. We talked a lot about how this job is difficult but very rewarding. Working with lots of different people as a FA and receiving lots of support from the home office.

Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Fairfax, VA) in February 2017.

Interview

Basically, there was a part involving a college meet up, there was a phone screening, then an in person interview, then an offer but it just was not for me.

Interview Questions

• What is most important to you in life   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY).

Interview

It was not what was described on the listing. Total insurance sales job with comission. Must generate own leads. Just wasn't worth the time spent. Wouldn't want to work here.

Interview Questions

• Could you sell to family? Could you close? Typical sales questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Fairfield, CT) in January 2017.

Interview

For me the process when like this:

Step 1:
    Meet with the Selection Manager, who goes over your resume and background, and talks about the company, very basic stuff. The Selection Manager will ask questions like what are your goals, what kind of income would you like to make and where do you see yourself in the future.

Step 2:
    The Selection Manager will send you an online personality assessment, to see if you have the personality to do the job. The test takes 30-45mins. Depending on how you do, they will schedule an interview with the District Director.

Step 3:
    Now you will meet with the District Director. The Director reviews your assessment scores and talks more about the position, and the financial products the company sells. Next, there will be questions about your professional network and the size of your network, since you will have to tap your network to build leads. At Northwestern Mutual you start from scratch, which means calling on family and friends.

Step 4:
    At the end of the meeting with the District Director, he/she will ask you to complete a specified number of "Market Surveys" which you will use to build your prospect list. When you complete the specified number of surveys, you can schedule the next interview. This list is important because you are going to use it to build your sales funnel. Ideally, you need a network of around 300 people.

Step 5:
    During this phase of the interview, you will talk about commissions and the required licenses to sell insurance and investment products. Also, they want to meet someone close to you (spouse, partner, family member) to ensure you have support during the start-up phase of your career. Additionally, they want to know if this is a good time for you financially and will help you create a budget to see how much you need to make to cover your expenses and be successful as an advisor.

Step 6:
    Finally, you're conditionally offered the position, if you pass the required licenses to sell insurance and investments.

I hope my experience helps in your decision-making process.