Northwestern Mutual Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Northwestern Mutual Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Jun 19, 2017

2.3

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter and then arranged a phone call. Had an interview a week later. The job relies heavily on sales for the first couple years, and as you gain more experience moves into a financial advisor role. The interview itself was to the point and informative, and the interviewer was nice. Decided the job wasn't for me and declined a second interview-- for that I would have had two homework assignments, a survey you conduct against 10 people (5 known, 5 not) and create a list of 100 contacts and contact them.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Irvine, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The process was fairly standard. I went into a room with the head of recruitment and she really took the time to get to know me. It was a pleasant process and took about an hour. There was a career profile test and a Harrison test to see if I was a good fit for the job. Sadly, my lack of sales experience kept me from getting the job. I hope to work for them in the future however.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Baltimore, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

This seemed like a great entry-level opportunity until I realized it was solely based on commission. They tried to convince me that it would be an easy transition because I would be backed by experienced professionals, yet they also told me I would be doing most of the work independently and basically creating my own path. This did not seem like something that would work well for a recent graduate in my position.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in this position 10 years from now?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Took me through the whole team I was selected to work for. Talked to each of the top guys there. Then took me to the top floor of the building and asked a bunch of personality questions and how many people within my network I have that I could call and build my initial clientele base off of.

Interview Questions

• How many people do you think you could write down right now and ask about their financial situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farmingdale, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Farmingdale, NY).

Interview

I was recruited on Linkedin and asked to come in to interview with the recruiter. I was then told I still had two more interviews left before I would get an offer. They told me initially that there would be no requirement to sell insurance to family and friends, but in the second interview told me I'd be expected to meet with family and friends and even made me write a list of the people I'd be able to meet with in my first week. This struck me as a shady way of getting young college graduates to beg their family to buy insurance. The compensation was almost entirely commission. There are better ways to make money.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Submitted application online, got a phone call about two days later for a brief phone interview where the company was introduced to me. I came into the office the next day for an interview and learned that the role is essentially a sales role where you tap into your own personal network to try to get clients for the firm. Definitely not as what the role was advertised to be. Don't try to mislead college grads into this role, be up front right at the beginning of what the job actually is (cold calling your own network to sell life insurance and other forms of insurance) because its rude to waste people's time. And no, I don't want to sell insurance to my friends/familial network/former work network.

Interview Questions

• Where are you from? Where are mom and dad (so you can go to mommy and daddy for clients)? Describe your last work experiences.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

This was a very straight-forward hiring process. The Managing Director was a referral from his sister. He called me for a phone interview, then invited me up to the offices for an interview. The whole process took about two weeks and had 3 in-person interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

This was a position at the Russo Group. The interview was very casual. The attire, however, was business professional. The interviewer asked some overly personal questions like parents' work fields, number of siblings, amount of student debt, etc. A number of the questions were meant to get a sense of your "natural" or "base" network.

This is completely a sales job. The interviewer was honest about what the job entails. Declined to proceed with the recruiting process.

Interview Questions

• Which parts/members of your network would you sell products to, and how would you grow your network?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

easy, mostly behavioral and they ask that you recommend people as well. Make sure you're social and approachable. Nothing technical and the people are very nice. Its more of an interview to see whether you would be able to speak with clients in a friendly manner.

Interview Questions

Not the type of position I wanted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

short interview where they get to know you and online survey to determine your strengths. if i continued there would have been 4 interviews total and lead me to believe I would start right after interview process. having a willingness to sell to people you know personally is very important to the job.

Interview Questions

• Will you sell to your friends and family?   1 Answer