Northwestern Mutual Financial Advisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Northwestern Mutual Financial Advisor Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Spokane, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

Very informative interview and felt very welcome from the beginning. Felt no pressure to make a decision however they did make me feel wanted. Nice staff, wish I were in a better place in life to join.

Interview Questions

• How much do you need to make in order to be financially comfortable?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Very thorough process. Was a four part interview. Knew what type of company they were as I had become a client a few years prior. Many may come through the door but they, for the most part, are selective.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations. Commission based. Must be in a position to live rather lean the first six months or so

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Interview was very informational and casual, I was asked to tell about my past educational and work experience and something that's not on my resume about myself. Then majority of the time was the recruiter explaining the training and development program and how it work to start your own book of business.

Interview Questions

• typical behavioral questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (East Lansing, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

First you submit a resume, and after they have reviewed it they email you to set up an in person interview. At the initial interview they ask questions like where do you see yourself in 5 years? Did you play sports in high school? What do you like to do in your free time? That kind of stuff. If they like you then they will ask you to complete a survey that determines your personality type/how well suited you are to the position. If you get 2/3 or 3/3 they will ask you to come in and interview again and this time you will need to bring 10 questions of your own. If you pass this part you have to talk to 10 people and get them to answer a survey and then you need to make a presentation and present it.

Interview Questions

• Did you play sports in highschool?   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

1st Interview: Sat down with a very nice lady who weaved most of the interview questions into a conversation. The initial interview was more of a "get to know you" meeting. She did not ask much about my work background.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Newport Beach, CA).

Interview

Lengthy interview process. Went through an initial phone interview, then an in person with HR, then a personality test, then 2-3 more in person interviews (I've lost count!). They really want to make sure you are a good fit and are confident in your ability to perform given its all commission based and requires your own lead generation.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Group interview with 5 total being interviewed, 2 hiring managers, and 1 current intern. This was the first interview of 3 in the total process.
    I just got the second interview request and it will be a 1 on 1 interview with a managing partner.

Per the email:
    You will begin the interview with a 5-7 minute presentation. I have attached the guidelines for this presentation. There is no need for an official power point presentation, please approach this as the way to start a conversation around why you are excited about this opportunity.

Assignment
    Prepare a 5-7 minute presentation for your 2nd interview on the topics below. Be sure to bring an outline for your meeting. You may use an outline or note cards for your presentation.
    Topics to Cover
    1. What impresses you about Northwestern Mutual?
    2. How would the internship program benefit you?
    3. How would your participation in our program benefit our college team
    and Network Office?
    4. Articulate your understanding and knowledge of the internship
    program (i.e. expectations, job responsibilities, etc.)
    5. Most Amazing Future: What would you need to accomplish both
    personally and professionally in the next year, 3 years and 5 years for you to feel like you are living a truly amazing life and how would this internship program help you get there? Be as specific as possible (i.e. Living in San Francisco, owning a home, driving Porsche, having the time to help in the community, etc.) This portion is very important as your mentor we will be using your goals and motivators as a part of the coaching and mentoring process.
    Resources
    1. Promotional materials (handouts, brochures, etc). 2. Local website: www.sanfrancisco.nm.com
    3. Internship website: www.nminternship.com
    4. Company website: www.northwesternmutual.com

Interview Questions

• 1. If you could wake up today doing your dream job, what would it be and why?   Answer Question
    • If you could be anyone famous, who would it be and why?   1 Answer
    • What is a major goal of yours? Pretty much what is a big goal from your bucket list and explain why.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Tampa, FL) in September 2015.

Interview

Multiple interviews and questionaires. Friendly atmosphere. 2nd interview was very thorough and gave me enough information to decide that the job was not for me. Turns out that the job was 100% sales and very little financial advising.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New Orleans, LA) in August 2015.

Interview

You apply online, and you get a phone call from someone asking you to come in. Before you do your first interview, you are asked to fill out an online quiz that gauges your personality. This lets them see what kind of person you are and if you would be a good fit for the company.

If everything goes well, they move you on to the next step of the interview. You'll complete another quiz, except it's much longer, and they will call you in for a second interview. This interview is more to get to know who you are as a person, and they want to hear about you and your life.

Afterwards, the team leaders get together and discuss on whether or not they move you to the next step, and ultimately a job offer.

The entire process takes about 2-3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself personally, career wise, and financially in three years?   Answer Question
    • If you were to leave the room, and I had two of your friends come in. What would they tell me about you?   Answer Question
    • What have you done in recently to try to improve yourself?   Answer Question
    • What experience working in (insert volunteer work, extracurricular, etc here) has helped you work better at your current job?   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in August 2015.

Interview

Approached with job during investment portfolio review, was told that I would be a good candidate for being a financial advisor and asked to consider position with company. Commission based and very fast paced environment.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years   1 Answer