Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Intern Interview Questions

2.5

41 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Chicago, IL) in April 2009.

Interview

Was referred by a family friend and was contacted by NMFN to schedule an interview. First round basically personality questions with a recruiter to see if you have the right personality. Second round is with a current Financial Representative. Pretty much the same type of interview. After that you're given "homework." Have to go out and contact 5 people and talk to them about their profession and have them recommend 5 more people for you to get in touch with. This is to see if you can get referrals as part of the business model. Final round interview is going over homework and more personality/fit questions.

Interview Questions

• Hardest thing was making sure you actually got names and numbers from the people you interviewed for homework. If they say I'll get back to you and you tell the interviewers that it looks like you don't have the initiative to close the deal. No brainteasers or anything. All about personality and fit.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation as an intern.

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New Orleans, LA) in January 2009.

Interview

Applied online, received a call back a few days later. First interview was with a recruiter and was pretty basic and explained what the position was and how the company is structured. First interview was followed by a take home personality test consisting of ~200 questions to see if your personality matches what they are looking for in their representatives. Second interview was with the Internship coordinator who was also a full time representative. He reviewed the results of the personality test and explained more about how the job works.

Interview Questions

• What were some of the goals you set for yourself, did you accomplish them, and if so, how?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Job was offered and I quickly accepted. Before accepting an offer for this position know that it is strictly and insurance sales position for which many people are not suited.

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2012.

Interview

Spoke to a representative during an internship fair, received a call requesting to set up an interview.
    Very comfortable setting, job requires outgoing personality and ability to get clients and network

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation, you take what they offer.

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in February 2012.

Interview

I met with a recruiter at a job fair, they were really friendly. I had an interview at their office, where we talk about the position. As I was being taken to meet with a recruiter I observed the office space. The work culture seems really friendly and comfortable. The interview process was really comfortable. I was not a nervous wreck. I was able to ask and answer questions without any pressure. It was as if I was having a friendly conversation over coffee with the interviewer. This shows that they really look for people they really can connect and communicate with on a personal and professional level because this position really takes a lot of communication skills with coworkers and clients. Overall, I believe that this was a good interview experience.

Interview Questions

• If I was an international student. They ask this because they don't hire international students.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in June 2011.

Interview

Typical Behavioral Questions: Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Interview Questions

• Whats makes you a good candidate?   1 Answer
    • How do you feel about being compensated mostly by commission?   1 Answer

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in December 2010.

Interview

I really started the interview process at college career fair by handing my resume to the recruiting team. After a review of my resume I was called and given an informal phone interview, then invited to a 1:1 interview with the recruiter I had met at the fair.

The first interview constituted of general questions of what I wanted out of employment and where I saw myself in 5 years. Then I was given an assignment to interview five of my family friends and ask them who they know who could help me if I choose this career. This was really the start of my network building.

The second interview was with the training officer who reviewed my first assignment. This interview consisted of more in-depth questions about past work experience and more about how you planned on being successful. After this interview I was to compile a lengthy list of family and friends. The list was to be a certain length, the number I don't recall but it was a lot, before I would be offered a position. This they said was two fold, one to be sure that you were ok with asking uncomfortable questions to family and friends such as, "will you do business with me" and two to make sure you had a market in which to start in. I had to turn my list over to management which made me weary, though I was told that the list was mine and mine alone, to this day I trust that they kept their word.

After completing the assignments and being offered the position a moderately in-depth background check was done. This is necessary as both NM and FINRA must approve of your employment. Lastly, before being contracted, you must attend and complete insurance licensing classes and obtain your insurance license.

The entire process can be as short or as long as you make it. All together from first contact with the company at the job fair to signed contract my process took about 4 months. However, the actual interview process from time of first contact to job offer was really only about 2 or 3 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Give one of your weaknesses and how you compensate for it.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2010.

Interview

I applied for the position through my career center website. I followed up to make sure the Recruiting Director received my resume. Within a week, I was called back to come in and interview. The financial representative spoke about Northwestern Mutual and how my position will fit in the company, asked me behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Do you know what resilience means? Expain one time you were resilient.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2010.

Interview

First interview is all questions about you, your past, your family, your values, your resume, and then they give you information on the company. Second interview is more specific questions about how you think you could be succussful in this business, how would you build your own clientele, how hard will you work, and then they give you an assignment to go meet people and see how they think you could fit into the financial services industry. The third interview they grill you again on how your market is, if you would be willing to work hard enough, and then they try to sell you on the company and the core products ie (Life Insurance).

Interview Questions

• You are young, how are you going to get people who are sometimes twice your age or more to respect you professionally?   1 Answer
    • Why should I give you, a sophomore, an intership over a candidate who is a senior in college and has a much better market than you do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Can negotiate your schedule to fit into school year and other organizations or activities.

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2009.

Interview

The interview process was conducted through my university and I had an interview first with the coordinator of the program answering basic questions about me, my resume and experience. The next interview was in the office and I interviewed with two financial advisors including the branch manager where they pretty much went over the guidelines to receive an offer

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you gave or offered service?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2009.

Interview

It was your general financial sales interview. First they pump you up about the company, show you how much money you can make. then they make it sound easy and possible to everyone. Then once they had me sucked in they put me through a personallity test, as well as a sales experince test. I passed both and was called in for a final interview. She asked all the typical questions, strength, weakness, where do you see your self in ten years. I thought it went well and I received an offer three days later. After completeing the internship I see Northwestern as it is, a pump and dump churn and burn operation. No salary only commission and worst of all after you work there fro a year you have to start paying lo lease your office space. they use you for your 100 contacts and anyone you do sell to will get follow up calles from your "co-workers" for the rest of their life. Overall bad experince and don't fall for it.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None