Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Questions

Updated Feb 28, 2017

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Appleton, WI).

Interview

There are three "interviews". I use quotations because they call it a mutual selection. They offer you a position on the spot of the third interview as long as you can formulate a proper sentence, maybe even then, they'll still offer you a position as long as you keep going back. They make it out to be that you are doing such important life changing work but really you guilt trip your friends and family to by life insurance.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

There were 3 interviews which consisted of detailed questioning and a company specific project. We did the Same things a full time financial representative would do as interns. It was very insightful and gave an up close and personal look into all that is involved in that career.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 year   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Basic behavioral questions, and the person tries to become your good friend through out the interview. I was asked right away to go to the second round, but at the end they sneak in there that you have to go and find your own clientele. It is not worth it. I politely declined the next day

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to deal with a very difficult situation at work?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

I received an email asking to call a recruiter to set up a phone interview. The recruiter also asked me to fill out a personality questionnaire before the interview. The interviewer was pretty nice and asked mostly straightforward questions. After the interview, I was provided with more information about the internship, but was asked to fill out a "Market Survey", which was to interview 10 people and ask them certain questions about insurance and finances that you were provided with. The goal was to get 20 referrals from the people you interviewed, and could not continue with the next step of the interview process unless you did so. I decided not to continue with this process, as I did not feel comfortable with what I would be doing. If you are willing to talk to anyone, including family and friends, about getting insurance, than this may be a good opportunity for you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Seattle, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through career fair, and the next day they sent me an email to schedule a group interview. Nothing unexpected, and this is only the first round, but they mainly focus year-2 students, and is very client-facing.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Very easy. Three interview process. First interview is laid back and you receive information on the position. Second interview you need to bring 10 questions for the interviewer. You receive homework after the second interview where you have to interview 10 people. Third interview you have to present a powerpoint on why you would benefit from working there and what they would benefit from having you there.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process took over a month. I met with 3 different people from Northwestern, each wanted to hear about my college career and work experience. This was a long, drawn-out process for a job that pays commission only.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about Northwestern and why did you choose to apply?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Provo, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

There was a personality test to be done before the first interview. The person interviewing me used the personality test a lot to explain insights she gained from it. It wasn't the most difficult interview but in all reality they just have you sell life insurance to friends and family so may not be right for a lot of people.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Cincinnati, OH) in January 2017.

Interview

There were three interviews that span over 3 weeks. The first interview was laid back and conversational - we talked about my motives and my past. Near the end, I took a personality test that took 10-15 minutes. We reviewed the results and luckily they match with someone who is a successful financial representative. The second interview was with a financial representative and it too was relatively laid back. He felt comfortable enough with how the interview went and asked me back for a final interview, which was with the regional manager. The final interview was more informative than the previous two. He did not ask questions that I was not anticipating and were similar to the previous interview questions. He extended an offer at the end of the interview - he did not give me a timeframe to accept. Had to get fingerprinted, background check, and fill out extensive work history online, which took about 2-3 hours.

Interview Questions

• -Tell me a time when you have been in the top 10% of something I.e. sports, academics, etc.
      -What are your motives.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Charles, LA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Lake Charles, LA) in January 2017.

Interview

First contact came from a friend who works in the office, wanting to know if I was curious in talking with a recruiter about the position. Talked on the phone with recruiter the next morning and scheduled a meeting with them the following week. Meeting went very well and was conducted very professionally. Our first meeting consisted of basic interview questions, as well as a short video about a day in the life of a Financial Rep. My next interview was the following week, where I met with the same recruiter and another person and talked more about what the job would be like. Overall the process went very well and was the most professional interview I have ever been in.

Interview Questions

Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Appleton, WI Tell me about your family
Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Pittsburgh, PA Where do you see yourself in 5 year
Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Chicago, IL Name a time when you had to deal with a very difficult situation at work?
Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Seattle, WA How do you see yourself in five years?
Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Where do you see yourself in 3-5 years?
Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview New York, NY How did you hear about Northwestern and why did you choose to apply?
Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Provo, UT What does success look like for you?
Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Cincinnati, OH -Tell me a time when you have been in the top 10% of something I.e. sports, academics, etc. -What are your motives.
Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Lake Charles, LA Where do you want to be in 5 years?