Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Northwestern Mutual

1,004 Interview Reviews

2.4

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in May 2018.

Interview

This is generally a three or four interview process. Two with the Network Office Director of Development, one also with team members, and one with the senior Managing Director. While you may be an ideal candidate, and there may be a rush on your or their part, let me recommend you do at least three, ideally all four and avoid rushing. Some things can fly by very fast when you rush which really are better to have time to absorb, discuss, question. Like expected income. There is NO BASE. BUT, you might easily get that misimpression based on rushed and abbreviated interviews where the point is made that you can't fail to earn (typically a minimum of $75K in year one)... IF you perform the Granum production process and numbers. That's a BIG caveat which apparently sometimes gets glossed or lost in the process.

Prospects do a "market research" survey, which is essentially a prospecting and referrals try-out. It's a very useful exercise to see if you can have the conversations, get the intimacy, and get referrals. It also tee's up your warm market of contacts to whom to pitch business. Your performance on this also provides data on which they perform an expected first year income -- if you can prospect and get referrals at these rates, you should earn roughly X. Take that as suggestive, and in no way definitive.

This company, as all financial service companies, is undergoing rapid transformation in their processes and approach to market. Training and onboarding are thus also rapidly evolving, and are a moving target. Be prepared to improvise, work like a maniac, and accept a fairly high level of constant activity and risk in the first years. Recall that there's approximately an 80-90% attrition rate for reps over the first 5 years.

Otherwise, it's a great interview process for a great company with a great culture and maintains its position at the top of the market for a reason.

Interview Questions

• How comfortable are you in having intimate discussions about personal finance with people you know and people you don't know?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in August 2018.

Interview

First interview is all about your background and personality. The asked how big is your network. The also asked about the works of your family members. Finally they give a brief description about the company and what will you be doing there as their intern.

Anonymous Employee in Farmingdale, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Farmingdale, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

3 interviews, first was with the recruiter. The last 2 with the Managing Director. Takes about 3 weeks before an offer was presented. A brief assessment is required also which asks about your personal market.

Interview Questions

3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Anonymous Employee in Grand Forks, ND

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Grand Forks, ND) in January 2017.

Interview

ask about your background, put together presentation, hobbies. they like to ask a lot about your friends and everything you like to do. They like outgoing, sociable people. So be outgoing and be curious and interested in the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Do you see yourself calling people to meet with you?   1 Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2017.

Interview

I felt that the company's culture and vision is great but tough field. I would recommend to someone who doesn't mind working long hours as well as potentially not getting a paycheck every pay period

Interview Questions

• What are one of your strengths   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Macon, GA) in August 2018.

Interview

It was a very straightforward interview. The people at the Macon offices are friendly and willing to take some time to help you out. I was referred by a friend, so the process was easier.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in March 2018.

Interview

Just a casual conversation about my community involvement and also personality tests. i did a total of around 5-7 interviews which seemed a bit extensive, but they are trying to feel you out as a person.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Austin, TX).

Interview

Everyone is super nice and friendly and I connected immediately with each of my interviewers and had lots of stimulating talks! They are looking to see how personable you are, how professional you present yourself, whether you have the tenacity to beat the odds and stay with the company. Especially important is what your network is like, how many people locally do you know personally & professionally, what kind of connections you can make, and if you're new to town, they'll gauge your hustle, your personality test, previous performance, and general ability to connect.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you would be able to list 500 people you know with their name & contact information?   1 Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Met with a recruiter and the with a college program advisor, Both were a great experience. They explain in detail what is expected of you and make sure that you are a good fit for the opportunity that they have.

Anonymous Employee in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Providence, RI) in February 2018.

Interview

Applied online. Received interview few weeks later. Interview was in the office. (all behavioral questions) 2nd round interview was with Managing Director. (behavioral) Offer received within 2 months time. They also make you get a list of potential clients together to show them that you are committed.