Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017

2.4

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

In the first interview, we talked about career opportunities with Northwestern Mutual. After a good conversation, I was instructed to take a personality quiz. This would determine if was going to have a second interview. Finally, after the second interview, I was to identify my personal market by surveying people on my skills.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2016.

Interview

It took two interviews for me to realize it was just a recruiting effort on their part. So be careful if they mine your LinkedIn page and ask you to refer people from your network for them to call on. This might not be every Branch but the Callaway Black branch certainly utilizes interviews for employment leads with no intention of hiring you.

Interview Questions

• Do you know any good candidates?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Several rounds, firs just with the office recruiter where they are trying to find a culture fit to see if you can represent NM. Largely focused on sharing who I was as a person, why I was interested in this position and explaining the process of becoming a FR. This was the first of 3/4 more steps where you would would meet with a managing partner and other Financial Reps before getting the OK to onboard and jump into the role.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Providence, RI) in October 2016.

Interview

Very comfortable with fair questions that required some critical thinking. Not as demanding as I thought it would be. Very nice interviewers who showed genuine interest in learning more about me. The key to this interview was that by making me feel comfortable, I felt much more comfortable providing answers to them, thus creating a win-win situation for both sides.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a pretty comfortable interview. There are formal questions and then personality questions at the end which made it fairly balanced. I found the interviewer to be very nice and he asked about my experience, and the rest became a conversation that involved informal talk about college and my experiences.

Interview Questions

• Why do you see yourself at NM? Which of your experiences do you feel are most relevant for working here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Canton, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

They go from 1,500 in the first interview to 200 in the second interview and 50-100 in the final interview. Only after the third interview are you offered the job.

Interview Questions

• How do your skills and goals align with the open position?   Answer Question

I had another offer that was more enticing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Pretty basic phone interview. A lot of questions about my background and family. After the questions ended I was given a very detailed description of how the firm operates and was asked to come in for an interview.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Had a few interview, a couple different meetings. Whole process took a month. First time was just getting to know if it was a fit, where I'm from, etc. Then asked about my network. Then finally reviewed my network contacts and offered internship. Low pay but high commissions. Seems like a way for them to get more contacts, to sell more insurance, kinda scam-like.

Interview Questions

• names and numbers of 50 contacts, in the "market survey"   1 Answer
    • How well do you work in a group setting   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Very conversational, get to know if you have a personality they want to go over your resume and whether or not you are a conversationalist and on top of your stuff.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a recruiter who liked my profile on LinkedIn. She could not answer some of my specific questions, so she's suggested I speak further with a field director who is also an advisor. We had a good conversation, so he invited me to come in for a formal interview. Prior to that meeting, I was sent a couple of personality questionnaires. Northwestern believes firmly in the personality questionnaires, so they only let you come in for an interview if you get certain scores. The Next Step was a three-round interview day, where I met with the operations manager of the firm, followed by lunch with a top producer who told me the keys to be successful. After both of them gave me a thumbs up, the final step was to meet with the managing partner. He reviewed some of my experience and credentials, but also wanted to get an idea of some of my personal finances and home life. The reason he gets into the personal details is because in this job you could go a couple months without any pay, and if you don't have a supportive spouse, then you are almost certain to fail.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to get an idea of my personal finances. For example my debts and my typical monthly expenses.   Answer Question