Northwestern Mutual Financial Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 17, 2017

2.4

772 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process took over a month. I met with 3 different people from Northwestern, each wanted to hear about my college career and work experience. This was a long, drawn-out process for a job that pays commission only.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about Northwestern and why did you choose to apply?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Provo, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

There was a personality test to be done before the first interview. The person interviewing me used the personality test a lot to explain insights she gained from it. It wasn't the most difficult interview but in all reality they just have you sell life insurance to friends and family so may not be right for a lot of people.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Cincinnati, OH) in January 2017.

Interview

There were three interviews that span over 3 weeks. The first interview was laid back and conversational - we talked about my motives and my past. Near the end, I took a personality test that took 10-15 minutes. We reviewed the results and luckily they match with someone who is a successful financial representative. The second interview was with a financial representative and it too was relatively laid back. He felt comfortable enough with how the interview went and asked me back for a final interview, which was with the regional manager. The final interview was more informative than the previous two. He did not ask questions that I was not anticipating and were similar to the previous interview questions. He extended an offer at the end of the interview - he did not give me a timeframe to accept. Had to get fingerprinted, background check, and fill out extensive work history online, which took about 2-3 hours.

Interview Questions

• -Tell me a time when you have been in the top 10% of something I.e. sports, academics, etc.
      -What are your motives.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Charles, LA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Lake Charles, LA) in January 2017.

Interview

First contact came from a friend who works in the office, wanting to know if I was curious in talking with a recruiter about the position. Talked on the phone with recruiter the next morning and scheduled a meeting with them the following week. Meeting went very well and was conducted very professionally. Our first meeting consisted of basic interview questions, as well as a short video about a day in the life of a Financial Rep. My next interview was the following week, where I met with the same recruiter and another person and talked more about what the job would be like. Overall the process went very well and was the most professional interview I have ever been in.

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Provo, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

Got the interview after going to an info session at BYU. First interview was with an HR director, the second with one of the junior managers. Pretty straightforward interview. They were really helpful and nice, and I got a pretty good idea of what I was getting into. Interviews were just 30 minutes long or so.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Richmond, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

Went in for a interview with a recruiter and asked basic questions about myself, my family, and background. Had to take a survey about my personality before my next interview where they asked me similar questions. They asked about connections then my next task was to meet with 5 people close to me, 4 people i know, and 4 referrals from those people and talk about their financial needs over coffee.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in January 2017.

Interview

3 step interview, First over phone, then in person where you will be asked to fill out 10 market surveys and talk with people you know and ask them questions and try to get as many references as possible

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years, 10, years and 20 years   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Tucson, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

You went into 3 separate interview and the last one is a presentation to a board of people . The first one is pretty casual they just ask you to tell you about yourself and they explain the internship.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want this job?
      How would you be successful at this job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Chicago, IL) in December 2016.

Interview

Very lengthy but seems like they will hire nearly anyone. They have about a 5 or 6 step process and they make you basically start doing the job before they hire you. The length of time it takes to complete this interview process is pretty absurd and I think it is designed to make you think it is super selective when it is definitely not.

Anonymous Employee in Traverse City, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Traverse City, MI) in December 2016.

Interview

The process is competitive. Only one out of 80 interviewees are offered a contract. There are approximately four interviews in total. The first is a short interview with a presentation at the end. Then there is values screening and psychological evaluations. Secondly, there is an in-depth interview with the director. This is followed by a homework assignment involving surveys and a presentation of findings. Lastly, there is an interview with a panel of other representatives.