Northwestern Mutual Intern Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 21, 2017

2.3

322 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2016.

Interview

Thought I was going in for an accounting/finance internship. Turned out it was basically just a sales position. You are supposed to make phone calls all day to try to get people to come in.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Northwestern Mutual

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

Got a call for the interview but it was not well planned out. I ended up having an interview with a different representative but immediately when they heard that I am an F-1 visa student, they rejected the position to me in a very rude manner. Could have said that before driving down to their location and done it more professionally.

Interview Questions

• Why would you be a great fit for the position?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in October 2016.

Interview

Lengthy, took multiple weeks to complete. Seems like a scheme that they'll use your contacts that are mandatory for you to provide no matter if you get the job or not.

Other opportunities

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Orlando, FL) in October 2016.

Interview

Went it to the office and met with a recruiter. At first the interview was mainly about me (where I'm from, family, etc). Then we started talking about the job and how to be successful. It's basically about life insurance and your willingness to sell them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed and how you overcame it to succeed.   Answer Question
    • Questions about your family and where you're from.   Answer Question
    • Who's your role model   Answer Question
    • If they called your role model right now and described you in three words, what would it be?   Answer Question

They want you to sell life insurance to people you know.

Anonymous Employee in Oswego, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Oswego, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

3 interviews. 1st interview asked me: What I was looking for in a job. Basic interview questions.
    Had me take a personality survey to see if I was a good fit. Next interview I met with the CUD College Unit Director to discuss the job further and he asked me why I would be good at it and how I would go about recruiting clients. He had me take home 10 market surveys which I had to call ten people in my "market" and get their opinions around life insurance and NW mutual. 3rd interview we reviewed the surveys and he asked how they went and what people were saying. Had to then pass the LAH insurance exam for state of NY in order to get contracted. They paid for it and make sure your ready by making you pass a mock exam at the office.

Interview Questions

• If you're family was to describe you using 3 adjectives what would they be and why. Use examples.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Orlando, FL).

Interview

Met with the recruiters at my school's job fair. I forgot I even talked to them before they called me many months later. It was a basic interview, I only went to the first one of a possible three. It was pretty much just to get to know me and my family's background. Questions were all that you'd expect. I didn't follow up because I didn't think the job would benefit my career, and not to mention the man who interviewed me put the wrong name at the top of the email he sent me later the same day.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

It was very bizarre. While in the waiting room had to fill out a paper asking for at least five people you know that would be interested in working here. After that I considered leaving. The interview was nothing what I was expecting after reading the job listing online.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me more about things you've sold in the past.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Houston, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Multiple rounds of interviews, first round of questions were very straight forward but to be eligible for second round, applicant must bring list of potential "clients" using their network. Seemed like they were more interested in expanding their client book rather than hiring qualified candidates.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Got an email from campus recruiter and set up an interview. It went pretty smoothly. The interview platform was Skype. It lasted about twenty minutes. The job consisted of me contacting family and friends for their money and I did not feel comfortable with that so I had to decline. The overall experience was good

Interview Questions

• Went through my resume, pretty standard first round interview   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Only go to the phone interview. My main negative experience with the entire process was the level of unprofessionalism. I received an email at 1 AM the night before for a phone interview at 8 AM.

Interview Questions

• Basic fit questions: why are you interested in financial services? Strength and weaknesses, etc.   Answer Question