Northwestern Mutual Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,166 Interview Reviews

2.4

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Oak Brook, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

Long and Lengthy but great people and comfortable interview process. Took about 4 interviews with different people and personality quiz. Very relaxed, if you be yourself you are fine they have a great culture and do a lot for you to succeed.

Interview Questions

• Wanted to get to no more about me as a person on an individual basis. Asked about what I do outside of work for fun. Why I want to work for Nothwestern Mutual, and talk about my background and experience   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation they have a contract as it is commission only and pay very well if you are able to produce.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Interview process was lenghty and thorough to ensure that only hardworking individuals who will succeed at the job are hired. There is work to do between interviews which many people find odd but it gives you a taste of the job before you actually start and shows how hard you are willing to work.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your best traits?   1 Answer

Legal Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Milwaukee, WI) in January 2017.

Interview

They contacted me at 11:00 a.m. and asked me if I could come in at 1:30 p.m. for an interview. The interview went very well and seemed to cover all bases as far as expectations of job performance/s. It was pretty intensive, which I didn't mind, but it went for 3 hours and exhausted everyone involved in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Where I went to high school.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Traverse City, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Traverse City, MI) in December 2016.

Interview

The process is competitive. Only one out of 80 interviewees are offered a contract. There are approximately four interviews in total. The first is a short interview with a presentation at the end. Then there is values screening and psychological evaluations. Secondly, there is an in-depth interview with the director. This is followed by a homework assignment involving surveys and a presentation of findings. Lastly, there is an interview with a panel of other representatives.

Financial Representative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MS

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Jackson, MS) in July 2013.

Interview

I had a phone call for initial screening, then an hour and half interview with the current assistant and the office manager. Then I was called to another 2 hour interview with the current assistant and the financial planner that I would be working for. It was way too long to answer the questions that I had.

Interview Questions

• Mostly the interviewers just asked what it was that I did not like to do.   1 Answer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

Stared with an interview with the HR head. Then a week later a panel interview. Then an interview with the head of the local company. Then a talk about compensation and a requirement to complete market surveys. This is when the reality sets in and if you can do it or not. The employees are extremely professional and courteous.

I could not do a position that is 100% commission

College Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Dallas, TX) in March 2012.

Interview

Initial Communication is vague as to what the interview process is or involves, let alone what the job is. Info sessions take place at your school or other similar location, after which you will have the opportunity to sign up for the first of at least three interviews. Know that they are looking at both your character and your behavior. They do not necessarily care about grades, while they do appreciate and respect well earned grades, do not put off an application or pursuit of this program just because your grades are not the best. You should then have two more interviews further exploring your suitability for the job.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult problem I faced was my indecision. The program demands your unwavering dedication and focus. If you cannot make that commitment, do not expect to get an offer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It's an internship, there really isn't much of a negotiation phase given the nature of the program.

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Boston, MA) in May 2011.

Interview

This was one of the most long winded, and excruciatingly painful interviews I have ever endured. I was first contacted by Northwestern Mutual after they claimed my contact information at a career fair held at my college. Due to the displacement between my college (NY), and the office I was applying for (Boston, MA), I was first interviewed over the phone. During the phone interview I was asked the typical questions, greatest challenges, biggest failures, etc. After I passed this stage I was asked to come in to a group interview in their Boston offices. I drove the 5 hours from college to their office in Boston and waited in their lobby with several other current college students. Finally we were all ushered into a room with a insurance agent who didn't look entirely excited about the presentation he had likely given a dozen times that month. The presentation was typical of any insurance company, a general run through on the difference between term and whole life insurance packages. After about 45 minutes the sales associate handed out a packets to everyone in the room, and we were told that in order to move to the next round of interviews these packets had to be filled entirely. The packets consisted of ten forms, each of which were three pages long. A single form required you to call a friend of the family, a relative, a former associate - anyone within your social 'circle', and ask them a variety of different questions all of which pertained in one way or another to life insurance. I need not mention what NWM likely does with the countless pages of information they get from the people they don't hire. These surveys also contained a an additional page and a half of questions directed toward you about how you felt about the phone interview and other questions along that nature. The Boston office boasted that they were the only branch that required for 10 of these nightmarish surveys, and I overheard an applicant saying that another branch only required 2. After about 5-6 hours of actual work - plus another 2 hours at least for coordinating these phone interviews, they were completed. ( They require that you meet half these people in person, but since I was displaced from the area in which I was to be expected to sell they made an exception)

Interview Questions

• What was your biggest failure/success   1 Answer

'Cold Calling' friends of the family and other people whom I've grown to respect and admire just to talk about insurance was one of the most degrading experiences of my life. If you value your network of friends, don't turn them over to Northwestern.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Colorado Springs, CO) in January 2009.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and interviewed. There was an aptitude test required before the interview. After the interview, there was another more thorough aptitude test for personality and sales skills. A score below means there will be no offer. Further interv. with managing director and managing partner, plus informational sessions with 2-3 veteren reps. They require Life and Health + 6 and 63 if you are offered a contract. There is a small stipend during the 3-4 week training process and they reimburse you for a passed test. NMFN is the finest company of its type in the nation but the job is 100% commission and ought to be 90% insurance product sales in the first 2 years in order to make it. They require 2-3 meetings a week, Managing director, mentor, and monday morning accountability sales reporting meeting. The average veteren rep makes 150K+ per year. Top reps make 300-400k.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Tracy Bannick Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Denver, CO) in February 2009.

Interview

The interview process started on an on campus event, in which I handed off my resume. Then three days later I was given a phone call and a date for a face to face interview. After the face to face interview, I was given a personality test to determine my skills as a financial adviser then a second presentation interview was scheduled.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which a person at work needed your assistance and required your assistance.   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to work to achieve a goal.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Indianapolis, IN) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview was about an hour long. The downtown Indianapolis office was very nice, located at the top of the Salesforce tower. Be prepared for the interview process, and know about the company before you walk in the door. Be professional.

Interview Questions

• Why does finance interest you?   1 Answer
    • What have your previous careers done to prepare you for this position?   Answer Question