Northwestern Mutual Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,909 Interview Reviews

2.4

College Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Santa Monica, CA).

Interview

I thought it was extremely unprofessional when during the interview process, they asked me to refer 5 of my classmates for the same position. I still have 2 steps left in the process, and my friends have already been contacted. I thought this was extremely rude.

Interview Questions

• What kind of qualities do you think someone needs to succeed at NWM?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Very easy. Three interview process. First interview is laid back and you receive information on the position. Second interview you need to bring 10 questions for the interviewer. You receive homework after the second interview where you have to interview 10 people. Third interview you have to present a powerpoint on why you would benefit from working there and what they would benefit from having you there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY).

Interview

It was not what was described on the listing. Total insurance sales job with comission. Must generate own leads. Just wasn't worth the time spent. Wouldn't want to work here.

Interview Questions

• Could you sell to family? Could you close? Typical sales questions.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fairfield, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Fairfield, CT) in January 2017.

Interview

For me the process when like this:

Step 1:
    Meet with the Selection Manager, who goes over your resume and background, and talks about the company, very basic stuff. The Selection Manager will ask questions like what are your goals, what kind of income would you like to make and where do you see yourself in the future.

Step 2:
    The Selection Manager will send you an online personality assessment, to see if you have the personality to do the job. The test takes 30-45mins. Depending on how you do, they will schedule an interview with the District Director.

Step 3:
    Now you will meet with the District Director. The Director reviews your assessment scores and talks more about the position, and the financial products the company sells. Next, there will be questions about your professional network and the size of your network, since you will have to tap your network to build leads. At Northwestern Mutual you start from scratch, which means calling on family and friends.

Step 4:
    At the end of the meeting with the District Director, he/she will ask you to complete a specified number of "Market Surveys" which you will use to build your prospect list. When you complete the specified number of surveys, you can schedule the next interview. This list is important because you are going to use it to build your sales funnel. Ideally, you need a network of around 300 people.

Step 5:
    During this phase of the interview, you will talk about commissions and the required licenses to sell insurance and investment products. Also, they want to meet someone close to you (spouse, partner, family member) to ensure you have support during the start-up phase of your career. Additionally, they want to know if this is a good time for you financially and will help you create a budget to see how much you need to make to cover your expenses and be successful as an advisor.

Step 6:
    Finally, you're conditionally offered the position, if you pass the required licenses to sell insurance and investments.

I hope my experience helps in your decision-making process.

College Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Austin, TX).

Interview

Mostly behavioral questions. They will ask about your family and where you are located. The description of the internship seemed interesting. But was not clear what the intern would do. Turns out you will mostly be doing sales for insurance. Was not something I sign up for.

Interview Questions

• What are three words that describe your close friends?   1 Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview process took over a month. I met with 3 different people from Northwestern, each wanted to hear about my college career and work experience. This was a long, drawn-out process for a job that pays commission only.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about Northwestern and why did you choose to apply?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

They have 3 rounds of interview. The first round is talking to the one who emailed you, going through the resume and talk about their company. If you are interested. You will get to the next round. The manager will talk to you. Then in the 3rd round, they will talk about details

Interview Questions

It's all sales commission based salary. They only give you 5k as a beginner. Then you have to pass an exam to become insurance sales person. And then after one year. You need to pass another test, so you can become the financial advisor. You need pre-pay all the exam cost. And have to pass the exam in order to get the money back from the company. If you are really good at selling and have a good communication skill and strong social net work. Try it.

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Provo, UT) in January 2017.

Interview

There was a personality test to be done before the first interview. The person interviewing me used the personality test a lot to explain insights she gained from it. It wasn't the most difficult interview but in all reality they just have you sell life insurance to friends and family so may not be right for a lot of people.

Financial Repres Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Irvine, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Very standard 3 step interview process. 1st in person, 2nd on phone, 3rd in person. on 2nd interview, I was assigned a task of interview 10 people, (3 family, 3 acquaintances, 4 referrals) and from those 10 interviews, you need 50 contact names and numbers. This is a great example of what real work would be like. Very friendly. Great interview process

Interview Questions

• What are the most important things about a job to you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Cleveland, OH) in January 2017.

Interview

There's a 4-5 step interviewing process, basically you are being recruited to sell life insurance. They entice you with a 6k signing bonus but there is no base salary so if you don't like selling and cold calling it may not be the place for you. If you are okay with living off commission alone then give it a try. They do offer to sponsor you for licensing and training which is a plus.