Northwestern Mutual Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,105 Interview Reviews

2.4

College Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process begins by a person from NWM emailing you to set up a phone interview. If you move on, its a group meeting about what NWM can provide. They give you an assignment of contacting your friends and family to set up your clientele to begin your internship. I hated the idea of having to use my inner circle to make money. No clients, no money.

Distribution Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Milwaukee, WI) in August 2017.

Interview

Pretty standard corporate interview process. Phone interview with HR, then in person interview with 2-3 team members. Mostly behavioral/background questions but a few accounting related technical questions. HR was friendly but the team was less professional. Seemed very much in a hurry, speaking quickly and with a poor attitude. Interviewer made little eye contact and acted like it was a huge drag to be interviewing someone.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

I received notification for a phone interview only days after applying. The phone interview went well and received an invitation for an interview with the hiring manager. Pretty simple interview, mostly behavioral questions to see if the fit was right.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your resume. What made you successful in X job?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Nothing too difficult just looking to get to know who you are as a person. The internship is not for everyone but can be a great experience for the right person.

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Interviewer's nice, professional and communicative. They guide you through the process on which the company is based. But for people that have not been previously exposed to a financial industry environment it may be a more difficult to get a full grasp of what everything really means and how it works.

Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

It's a phone screen interview. She only asked me about how many connections I currently have in San Francisco. And then she introduced some job responsibilities of this work. I thought I did not get the job because I didn't have many connections locally.

Productivity Consultant/Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Do you know the difference between a good company and a bad company? A good company asks you for some days and times you can interview onsite, a bad company doesn't ask, they tell you one single day and time, which in my case happened to be the Friday before a holiday weekend and I had planned to leave that day for a vacation.

My whole interview experience with this company was negative except for the first phone interview, which I found out the person I spoke with was not even a company employee, she was an external recruiter, no wonder she was great as everything after her was awful.

When I told the company I couldn't make the one date they gave for an onsite interview because of my vacation plans, they went dead silent. I guess they were trying to pressure me to change my plans. I communicated that I would be available any day within a two week period EXCEPT for that one. Strangely out of 10 possible days, they could only do that one day? I also said it would be much easier to arrange an interview PRIOR to the holiday as when companies come back from a holiday it's always extra busy and would be hard to arrange a day off when I had just taken one from my vacation. So what did they do? Ask me to come in for an interview the second day I got back putting me in a bad situation.

When I arrived and waited in their lobby another person came in who also was interviewing for the same job. How tacky! They couldn't stagger the time? We sat in uncomfortable silence and sat and sat because the Hiring Manager was late coming out. I was putting my stuff in my briefcase as I had decided to walk out as the behavior of this company was unacceptable and I realized I didn't want to work for such people. Right then the Hiring Manager came out so unfortunately I felt stuck. I didn't bother to even try in the interview, just wanted to get out of there as fast as possible to salvage the day I had to take off. I was told in the interview when they would have an answer, of course that date came and went. I followed up just to push them to be responsible, was given another date which of course passed...unprofessional AND disorganized. Finally do you know what I received? Not the standard generic email from the Hiring Manager or HR person saying they decided to 'move forward with another candidate, blah blah.' Oh no, not even that, I got a message from a robot, not kidding, it didn't address me by name it just said, "You are receiving this because you applied for a position, not selected,' and it didn't even have a human's name or signature line. Two months of my life I won't get back including two phone interviews and one onsite 3 hour interview with multiple people and that's how they treat a candidate? In a high talent markeplace?

Advice - run, don't walk, away from this company. Don't apply, but if you already have before reading this and they ask for an interview, decline. If this is how they treat people who don't even work for the yet, imagine how poorly they will treat you once you are on the payroll.

Interview Questions

• Generic interview questions, nothing insightful or interesting.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

The interview was pretty straightforward, with typical interview questions. It is recommended that you practice before you go, and have confidence in your answers. You must possess the ability to network frequently, and be able to complete a market survey.

Interview Questions

• What is the greatest obstacle you have had to overcome?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Pretty long process, started in June and started in September. They have you do these market surveys which should give you a good idea if selling to your friends and family is right for you.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Northwestern Mutual?   1 Answer

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Sioux Falls, SD) in July 2017.

Interview

Everyone was very welcoming. The interview process was very comfortable. The first interview they ask you basic interview questions. The second and third weren't so much as an interview as a high level job overview.

Interview Questions

• What are you're future personal, financial and career goals in 5 and 10 years?   Answer Question