Northwestern Mutual Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 14, 2017

2.5

453 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New Haven, CT) in June 2017.

Interview

The interview was very personable, they ask a lot about you and your life to get to know you, it is a multiple step process. They want to see if you have a market to sell life insurance to. I decided that I did not have enough people to sell to and did not pursue a third interview. They were also offering commission with no salary.

Interview Questions

• They ask a lot about who you know that you could build a market for life insurance.   Answer Question

Associate Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Chicago, IL) in June 2017.

Interview

The recruiter was very easy to speak with and friendly. The interview process started with a phone screening then several online tests, a Skype interview, and a final face to face interview. The recruiter spoke highly of me but the Financial Representative I met with seemed to have little interest in me. The rep didn't ask me many questions just talked about the position. The rep seemed as if the decision was made before I even got there. However, the questions that were asked were pretty simple nothing out of the ordinary.

Financial Advisor Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied through college website. Was contacted by the recruiter and interviewed at the Park Ave office in New York City. The interview was straightforward with scenario based question. Very laid back. The advisor was very nice and the interview was not very long

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual in May 2017.

Interview

What does your family do? (initial thought: WTF? Relevant to work?)
    3 words to describe yourself
    What is your greatest achievement?
    3 things you gained from part-time job?
    What are some strengths you describe yourself as a professional?

This so-called internship program is a very cunning way for Northwestern to exploit college students. They want you to come up a list of 100 people to sell their products. You get 1000 for joining the program, 500-1000 bonus, and the rest is from commission. This is why I hate sales job. I don’t like lying to people to earn a living. The commission I potentially earn will be from selling products which may not benefit the clients at all. Nice try. Northwestern.

Interview Questions

• What are some strengths you describe yourself as a professional?   1 Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

The interview was one hour long and very detailed. The whole process was very relaxed and conversational. I was able to clearly understand the role and what would be expected of me.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

Multiple rounds of interviews. The company wants new hires to sell products to family members. Interviewer was very nice though and the interview process was very enjoyable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Memphis, TN) in March 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview, which was not mentioned until you got there. Caught me off guard, it was a lecture rather than an interview. There was no possible way to get to know someone with 5 other people in the room. Spent the entire time going over a slide show of "Why we are the best." Overall it was good interview experience. Said they were interviewing 100 other candidates in the same setting and then would go back and choose 5-10 to call back for a second interview. Very interesting process they have overall.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to do when you graduate?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Cleveland, OH) in March 2017.

Interview

A couple phone interviews and I was immediately turned off from the possibility of interning with them. The position was to sell life insurance as an intern with the minimum goal of getting 4 "lives" throughout the summer internship.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to give up your personal contacts in order to do this job?   1 Answer
    • What do your parents do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Portland, ME) in March 2017.

Interview

was really good .explain thing clearly about the training and the salary with benefits.show the process of the job and the responsibility.I enjoy the interview and hope I will enjoy working with them

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Syracuse, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Went in for a face to face interview just to get to know me a little better, asked basic information about myself. Then a second skype interview asked me to fill surveys (trying to get you to sell their products). Had the third interview but decided it wasn't for me and canceled it.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you overcame adversity, and how did you accomplish it?   Answer Question
    • Do you feel comfortable selling our products?   Answer Question