Northwestern Mutual Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 22, 2017

2.5

Investment Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (San Antonio, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview started with being contacted by a recruiter. The recruiter sat down with me for almost 2 hours and found out all about me. She took the time to find out what my interests were, my family/economic situation and what my driving forces were for considering that type of work. The next step was an online evaluation. I'm waiting those results now.

Interview Questions

• What do you consider great customer service.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (College Station, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very confusing. I came into the office closest to my university and interviewed there and was told that I would be reccommended to other offices across the state with no contact information given for other offices that I would potentially be working at.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and soon was called to schedule an interview. The interview was 1-on-1, and I was also introduced to some other staff members. It was only during the interview that I learned that it was going to be an all-commission (no base salary) sales activity by cold-calling individuals (not businesses) and that I would have to start with my personal network of people. Some days later, I had to fill out an online personality quiz which took me over an hour. After that, I never heard from them again.

Interview Questions

• How many people do you know personally that you could call to try and sell them our products?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

It was just a casual talk. More of getting to know the person and their background. They wanted to know if I would be able to use my contacts and relations to find potential clients. Though, they did not contact me again with a questionnaire that they were supposed to.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was scheduled to meet a recruiter in her office in the Pyramid building in San Francisco. The whole atmosphere was very professional, but the office workers seemed to be friendly, as I was greeted multiple times while waiting till it was time for the interview. The recruiter was very friendly, asked questions that were open ended, allowed for me to comfortably express my strengths and weakness, and what might be appropriate for myself and the company. In the end I wasn't a candidate they were looking for due to some unfortunate circumstances out of my control, the recruiter was very polite in rejecting me and even invited me to connect to her linked-in.

Interview Questions

• Do you have at least 200 contacts you could approach as potential clients?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Irvine, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The process was fairly standard. I went into a room with the head of recruitment and she really took the time to get to know me. It was a pleasant process and took about an hour. There was a career profile test and a Harrison test to see if I was a good fit for the job. Sadly, my lack of sales experience kept me from getting the job. I hope to work for them in the future however.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online on their website. I received a call after almost 2 weeks. The recruiter asked me about myself first. I was declined because I don't have permanent residence. I liked the overall experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Baltimore, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

This seemed like a great entry-level opportunity until I realized it was solely based on commission. They tried to convince me that it would be an easy transition because I would be backed by experienced professionals, yet they also told me I would be doing most of the work independently and basically creating my own path. This did not seem like something that would work well for a recent graduate in my position.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in this position 10 years from now?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Interview

Got interview through college career fair. the interview was several rounds, but they were all group interview which made things uncomfortable. there were 4-5 rounds that all the same group would go to. behavioral, one you had to make 5 min presentation about why you should be hired, final round they asked you to come back with a sheet filled out with a list of people you know who make over a certain amount of money each year who would want insurance. pretty sketchy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Submitted application online, got a phone call about two days later for a brief phone interview where the company was introduced to me. I came into the office the next day for an interview and learned that the role is essentially a sales role where you tap into your own personal network to try to get clients for the firm. Definitely not as what the role was advertised to be. Don't try to mislead college grads into this role, be up front right at the beginning of what the job actually is (cold calling your own network to sell life insurance and other forms of insurance) because its rude to waste people's time. And no, I don't want to sell insurance to my friends/familial network/former work network.

Interview Questions

• Where are you from? Where are mom and dad (so you can go to mommy and daddy for clients)? Describe your last work experiences.   Answer Question