Northwestern Mutual Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Northwestern Mutual Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2017

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Irvine, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The process was fairly standard. I went into a room with the head of recruitment and she really took the time to get to know me. It was a pleasant process and took about an hour. There was a career profile test and a Harrison test to see if I was a good fit for the job. Sadly, my lack of sales experience kept me from getting the job. I hope to work for them in the future however.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied online on their website. I received a call after almost 2 weeks. The recruiter asked me about myself first. I was declined because I don't have permanent residence. I liked the overall experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Baltimore, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

This seemed like a great entry-level opportunity until I realized it was solely based on commission. They tried to convince me that it would be an easy transition because I would be backed by experienced professionals, yet they also told me I would be doing most of the work independently and basically creating my own path. This did not seem like something that would work well for a recent graduate in my position.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in this position 10 years from now?   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Interview

Got interview through college career fair. the interview was several rounds, but they were all group interview which made things uncomfortable. there were 4-5 rounds that all the same group would go to. behavioral, one you had to make 5 min presentation about why you should be hired, final round they asked you to come back with a sheet filled out with a list of people you know who make over a certain amount of money each year who would want insurance. pretty sketchy

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Submitted application online, got a phone call about two days later for a brief phone interview where the company was introduced to me. I came into the office the next day for an interview and learned that the role is essentially a sales role where you tap into your own personal network to try to get clients for the firm. Definitely not as what the role was advertised to be. Don't try to mislead college grads into this role, be up front right at the beginning of what the job actually is (cold calling your own network to sell life insurance and other forms of insurance) because its rude to waste people's time. And no, I don't want to sell insurance to my friends/familial network/former work network.

Interview Questions

• Where are you from? Where are mom and dad (so you can go to mommy and daddy for clients)? Describe your last work experiences.   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

applied through college career center, received a face to face interview invitation two days later. Submitted an online personality evaluation before face to face interview for one hour. Was asked to do another personality test

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwood, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Greenwood, IN) in June 2016.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. I actually felt like the interviewer was trying to learn about me. It didn't feel like I was being recruited. (Different than other experiences with the industry) I wanted the job, but by the end of the interview we came to a mutual decision that now probably wasn't the right time. I actually referred a colleague/friend of mine for the position. I'm looking forward to revisiting the opportunity in 6 months to a year.

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in a career? Lot's of "why's, or tell me more about that".   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

short interview where they get to know you and online survey to determine your strengths. if i continued there would have been 4 interviews total and lead me to believe I would start right after interview process. having a willingness to sell to people you know personally is very important to the job.

Interview Questions

• Will you sell to your friends and family?   1 Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

You do an introductory interview and then they do a second interview. They ask you basic questions like where do you live and other basic stuff. They let you know right away if you are of interest or not yet they ask too many personal questions. Overall, this place is only for those who have money to spend since this place does not offer a salary and they rely on you to use your own network.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual.

Interview

They made you complete an excel with at least 60 names of people between the age of 25 and 50 that you knew and make a powerpoint presentation about the company and yourself. I was uncomfortable with the 60 names because that is who you would be selling to and I do not want to sell to my friends and family.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that you faced adversity and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question