Northwestern Mutual Interview Questions in Wisconsin | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 27, 2017

2.7

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

Very long process, requires 3 interviews and a test-like thing for your third interview. Want you to sell insurance to your family and friends. I dont recumbent this company for an internship.

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Appleton, WI).

Interview

There are three "interviews". I use quotations because they call it a mutual selection. They offer you a position on the spot of the third interview as long as you can formulate a proper sentence, maybe even then, they'll still offer you a position as long as you keep going back. They make it out to be that you are doing such important life changing work but really you guilt trip your friends and family to by life insurance.

Legal Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Milwaukee, WI) in January 2017.

Interview

They contacted me at 11:00 a.m. and asked me if I could come in at 1:30 p.m. for an interview. The interview went very well and seemed to cover all bases as far as expectations of job performance/s. It was pretty intensive, which I didn't mind, but it went for 3 hours and exhausted everyone involved in the interview.

Interview Questions

• Where I went to high school.   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (La Crosse, WI).

Interview

The interview process consisted of multiple rounds of interviews. I only did the first one as I found out afterwards the culture fit and job was not for me. The asked a lot about where my family and friends were located and if I would feel comfortable reaching out to them to sell insurance to.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and your connections with others.   Answer Question

College Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Milwaukee, WI).

Interview

Very simple process. Three interview series. Meet with HR, then a Rep, then Managing Director. After that you will either get an offer or not. It was a very standard process to go through and was over the span of a two week period. Each interviewer was very personable and easy to talk to. It was ultimately a very fun process actually.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Madison, WI) in July 2016.

Interview

Company did a culture index and asked a lot of thought generating questions about myself, and I found out how I was wired when it came critical thinking and problem solving. Very open environment when it came to answering these questions. They want to know the real you

Interview Questions

• How do you see your self bringing a positive impact to your community?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Milwaukee, WI) in May 2016.

Interview

Several phone interviews. Discussions in person for the next stages of the project. Discussions based on the actual project and deliverables, with a set of members of the technical team. The questions did not sound like interview questions, but they were very specific to the project at hand.

Interview Questions

• Software architecture, enterprise architecture, design, applications of new technologies.   1 Answer

Javascript Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Milwaukee, WI) in March 2016.

Interview

Very simple process. Met with a single development lead who asked me a slew of technical questions. Short and sweet. Interview location was at a satellite space and not in the company's main buildings.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between React/Redux and Backbone javascript frameworks?   Answer Question

College Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Madison, WI) in February 2016.

Interview

Three stage interview Process with projects in- between Interviews

Interviews:
    1. Introductory interview with recruiter - ensures you' aligns with NWM's culture

2. Interview with Financial Representative and former intern

3. Final Interview with Hiring manager

Projects:
    1. Project 60 - "In an Excel Spreadsheet, list out:
    First name, last name, occupation, phone number/ e-mail of 60 qualified people that you are connected to that will prepare you for a successful internship.
    • Don’t preclude anyone, but keep in mind that these are individuals that you will begin calling on when you start this internship.
    • Individuals on this list must be in the Milwaukee area and at least 21 years of age."

2. College Internship Market Survey: gather information about the insurance industry by interviewing 12 people: 4 you know well by name, 4 acquaintances, 4 referrals. NW-M provides sheet of questions to guide your conversations, though the emphasize "DO NOT HAND THESE OUT" - probably because they want you to have regular conversations with people.

3. ? unknown. If you plan to enter this internship, there are certifications that Northwestern Mutual requires one to pass, and will reimburse for additional coursework.

Interview Questions

• Describe/ Tell me about yourself.

Tell me about your family

Who is someone in your life who influenced you the most.

Tell me about a time you learned from a mistake.

If you could do anything or run any business, what would you do and why.
      1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern Mutual (Milwaukee, WI) in February 2016.

Interview

A Recruiter called me and we spent some time talking about the opportunity. With in 1-2 days of sending in my resume an interview was set up right away. They pay for your parking and worked around my working schedule. They met me on time and they were all very well prepared. Personable yet got down to business. Allowed me time to ask questions as well. In less then two weeks I was given an offer and going to start in two weeks after I give my notice. Very impressive process that went fast yet they had me meet with several people on the project.

Interview Questions

• How do you avoid getting bogged down in the details of a project you have led?   Answer Question
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Took a few days but overall communication was good.