Northwestern University Postdoctoral Fellow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 16, 2017

2.4

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

since i was here during my Ph.D i didn't go for interview process. I just talked with Ph.D advior and he accepted it. Therefore it was quite easy for me.

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in March 2014.

Interview

Talked with a few group members about their research. Gave a presentation on my own research. Had lunch with PI and two group members. Gave an offer the same day after my interview and talked about salary at the same time.

Interview Questions

Interview

CV review and interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in November 2013.

Interview

Was very casual and however was willing to listen to your story. It was not too time consuming but they showed that they cared about your research. Your presentation was reviewed by a group panel and you had personal interview with all the team members. This not only improved my exposure but it also help me evaluate the team and access whether I will be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• How can you contribute to our institutional values   1 Answer

Interview

This highly depends on the PI and the lab environment. Northwestern is a highly ranked university so it is important to have a good publication record and established set of lab skills before approaching faculty. Every PI has a different method in interviews and hiring, usually involving an individual meeting with the applicant and a research presentation of the applicant's past findings with current group members.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

Initial meeting with group leader. Gave a public talk to research group and other invited guests. Met others in the lab. Was told that funding was a problem at the moment so my employment was contingent on a grant coming through. In the meantime I worked on a fellowship to get funding. During that time group leader told me he found enough money to hire me.

Interview Questions

• Talk about my previous research. What was I currently working on?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

I was invited to campus for a seminar lecture. After that I met with the PI and other lab members. I asked them if this lab is a good fit for me. Within the next week I received an offer.

Interview Questions

• Questions about my PhD dissertation and even new emerging problems associated in the Northwestern lab.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Presentation of thesis work, group and PI interview.

Interview Questions

• So your joining our lab, right?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Over email and quick.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in December 2011.

Interview

I applied to an ad I saw on a society website. My PI flew me in and put me up in a hotel by the university. The whole process took a day. I gave a talk at around 9:30 and then spoke with my boss about potential projects. I then had individual interviews with different members of the lab.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

Applied online via email. Called for in person interview. Asked to do a research presentation. Did not hear anything for a month. Called them to follow up. A day later, I was offered the job. Negotiated the salary and joining date. All ended up in my favor and started the job a month later.