Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research Interview Questions

Updated Jan 25, 2017

3.1

Scientific Associate III Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research.

Interview

It was a 25 minute phone call to discuss the role and my experience. Interviewer was very upfront about the role, where they were at in the hiring process (was hoping to decide on candidates for on-site interview by the end of the day), and what they expected from the candidate. They were looking for someone with one skill set and was expecting the new hire to be responsible for just one type of assay. It was not what I was looking for and the skill that they wanted was not one of my top skills.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding skills needed for the role such as "what machine did you use for that assay?"   Answer Question
    • What do you think are your 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • What would your coworkers say about you?   Answer Question

Scientific Associate I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Very easy, more of a personality fit assessment. Was very casual and people are more concerned with whether or not you'll be a good fit on the team.

Director Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (Cambridge, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Slow process but the HR contact and hiring manager were extremely responsive to any of my inquiries (it was actually recommended). I applied online and was contacted the next week by the HR Recruiter. After a phone conversation with HR, very simple just focusing on background and fit with a research institute Hiring Manager contacted me the following week by email to set times for a phone conversation.

The first conversation with Hiring Manager felt more like a conversation she almost didnt ask any specific questions but wanted just to talk to me. It was schedule for 1hr and we went over by 15min just talking about NIBR and a little about my background. The only "real" interview question was where do you see yourself in 5 years. At the end of the conversation the hiring manager told me that NIBR is very slow in the hiring process and not try to read into anything if I am not contacted soon by HR. I sent her specific questions regarding the position and some conferences I attended in the meantime and she was always extreamly nice in getting back to me in a ver timely fashion.

After about a month and a half I was contacted by an admin assistant to setup a full day on interview on site. The full day was from 9am to 4pm and it was broken down into 1 hr meeting with many members of the team, some finance related some scientist that will have activity with the position. The meeting with the hiring manager was a lunch for 45min where we continue to talk about fit and expectation regarding the position.

I can say enough about how nice everyone was to me and they all asked easy questions and were concentrating more in fit. The final manager was with the leader for finance of the sector and he asked great interesting questions about my past experience giving me scenarios like "lets say you are now the CEO of comapny X, what would you have done differently to improve the performance of the company".

Later I understood that the process was long because they were looking at one internal candidate from Novartis from another state that finally moved to another position. I was one of 3 final candidates and they decided to move with another internal candidate which I understood. Even after the decision the hiring manager sent me a great note about the feedback she recieved from the other members of the team and asked me to stay in touch.

I will.

Interview Questions

• Where are the biggest investment in pharma at the moment?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What position would you like to be in?
      You have direct reports currently, this position doesnt have any direct reports, doyou think that could be a problem?

Scientific Associate II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (Cambridge, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online, got an email for phone interview in 3 days followed by a in person interview after 1.5 weeks. In-person interview was 4-5hrs long and included a lunch. Interview questions were not difficult but people were keenly observant of what I say and how I say. My references were checked the next day of my personal interview and I received the offer after 3 days of my reference check. The offer covered my expectations and hence I accepted it.

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research.

Interview

I had two rounds of interviews. First round, interview with hiring manager and coworkers, this took about 4 hours. Second round was interview with department director and human resource.
    Presentation was not required.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. The overall interview experience was good.

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research.

Interview

i had an all day interview with different people.

Study Support Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (Cambridge, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Contacted by lab head directly via email and asked to visit in very casual, informal fashion. Had 1:1 interview then series of group interviews. Rejected via form HR email for different job.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5-10 years?
      What is your greatest strength and greatest weakness?
      Why did you leave your last job?

Associate Scientist II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (San Diego, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Had 3 interviews. The process started with first phone interview followed by on site interview. Later on I went there personally and gave a presentation on my work. Later had interaction with hiring managers and also team of scientist. They all work on a similar project.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions, followed by HR   2 Answers

Investigator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (Cambridge, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied through the online portal and received an email for a phone interview from the hiring manager the next day for a Skype interview. The Skype interview was very positive and I was told I was the top candidate (job seemed tailored specifically to me) and that I would be contacted by HR regarding an on-site visit. I was asked to have 3 letters of reference sent on my behalf to the hiring manager right away, which were all positive. After a couple weeks I sent email inquiries to the hiring manager that were never returned. After a another week, I received a form-letter rejection email from HR.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions from the hiring manager were only about my research and technical details about my research that were applicable to the position. I was asked repeatedly and in depth about each skill I had on my resume and was told that it was a red flag to have so many diverse research skills and that I was probably lying about them. I assured the hiring manager that I was confident in my ability to walk in the door and execute any of those experimental skills, but was continuously questioned about them.   Answer Question

Lead Data Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research in August 2015.

Interview

Got a call from HR and asked about my interest and said the team will come back to me. They came back a month later and asked if I was ok for an interview. They set up the interview pretty fast. 4 face to face interviews of average difficulty. Mostly process questions, very detailed process questions. Like what do you do next and next step by step. Last was Director of DM and I thought his was the best interview difficult but interesting questions. Went in detail about my resume and wanted examples for everything and that makes sense.

Interview Questions

• describe the whole DM process
      many questions going in detail on my resume