Novell Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Novell Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Novell in October 2014.

Interview

Phone screen with a recruiter. Second interview with hiring manager and two co-workers. Asked a lot of questions about testing and development process and around Agile methodology and application. Technical interview with lead SDET that had an algorithm question, a code example and an API test whiteboard example. After the interviews, I heard back from the recruiter and then the hiring manager. There was frequent communication with the recruiter that was very helpful and provided lots of follow-up. Overall a good interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Technical interview felt somewhat rushed. There was a series of questions given a partially completed interface, how would you test it. A lot of leading questions and re-phrasing that made it difficult to understand where he was going with it. Lots of ambiguity.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Originally told that my salary requirements were too high and I accepted a different offer. Came back a few days later with an increased offer. Seemed like a disconnect between hiring manager and recruiter, but they were willing to go to bat for me.

Other Interview Reviews for Novell

Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Novell (Vienna, VA) in March 2008.

Interview

Very smooth and very friendly.

Interview Questions

• How to use Linux command to find any file in the OS contains certain string.   2 Answers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Novell (Chennai (India)) in January 2016.

Interview

- Telephonic Interview
    - Technical Round - Face to face with Panel of 2
    - Discussion with Hiring Manager & Sr. Mgr Round
    - HR Interview

Telephonic Interview 35 ~ 40 minutes after which a Face to Face was scheduled

Interview Questions

• Technical : Programming skills, Analytical Skills
      Hiring / Sr. Manager : Aptitude, Skills
      HR : Compensation

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It was pretty good and majorly focused on the technologies & projects i worked earlier. In depth analysis and root cause of the issues. Thinking out of box and business prespective will fetch you the fruits.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Novell in April 2013.

Interview

Skillset: C#.NET

Telephonic technical interview, followed by the full day interview of 4 rounds
    1) Technical F2F round (1 hour): Asked to write a simple XML file parser program, questions on remote debugging in .NET, assert mechanism, multi-threading
    2) Manager round: technical questions on real world application of data structures, algorithms complexity calculation, problem solving, puzzles
    3) Director round
    4) HR round

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I shown the desperation in accepting the offer which resulted in no salary negotiation, no joining bonus, lesser compensation than expected.

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Novell (Bengaluru (India)) in February 2013.

Interview

It was a written round with 3 in person interview. was asked Unix system programming files how they work. Detect Loop in linked list. It lasted for 6 hours. Had to travel to the office in Kudlu gate.

Interview Questions

• Unix system programming files how they work
      Loop in linked list

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Novell (Bengaluru (India)) in November 2012.

Interview

Three rounds of interview happened in Bangalore office. One round of Telephonic round, prior to two rounds of face to face interview and then an HR round on the same day. Overall interview process took 25 days

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Novell (New Delhi (India)) in May 2012.

Interview

The interview process consisted of pre screening, phone interviews and then face to face panel interview. There were two phone interviews, both of which were very technical and focused on the requirements of the job. After these, there was one more interview conducted in a panel consisting of the hiring manager, human resources manager and team leader from a peer organization. After this, the decision to move ahead with the offer and other logistics details were discussed and pursued.

Interview Questions

• Mostly focused on job requirements and how current skill set can match those.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Novell (Bengaluru (India)) in December 2011.

Interview

clean
    transparent
    fast
    ethical

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Novell in September 2010.

Interview

1. Written

Written questions includes 5 sections i. Aptitude ii. OS&Networks iii. Data Structure iv. Java v. C&C++

But while verifying they skip Aptitude part. So you have to score good in technical sections

2. F2F(2 rounds)

- First round was a 1 hr Java F2F. The interviewer asked almost everything from Java. So nothing to mention here. Almost every thing he asked me.

- Second F2F was more brain storming. The interviewer asked many data structure(basic of linked list, tree etc) questions, OS questions like thread, process. Some good java design related questions.

Mind it Whatever position it is, Novell interview gives more emphasis on data structure and algorithms.

Interview Questions

• 1. You have some classes like A, B, C . Which all classes can class D extend ?

2. Produce Consumer problem using concurrency ?

3. A lot of questions "static" in java.

4. Reverse of singly linked list. BST.

5. Stack implementation

6. Deadlock, process & thread

7. Create your own immutable object

8. How HashMap works.

9. Serialization specially how Externalizable works.

10. How to synchronize static class objects.