Novell Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Novell Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Novell (Provo, UT) in May 2012.

Interview

The Novell or Attachmate recruiter contacted me looking for a developer with similar skills. I phone interviewed with the recruiter who was based out of New York and then had two different group interviews. One was with a set of developers and one was with a set of managers, one being the hiring manager. The phone interview went fine although I should have listened to my instincts and declined when she asked me one of the top 10 dumbest interview questions: "what interests you about Novell?" Hmm, you were hiring!

But I didn't listen and I went to do the interview anyway. The group interview with the developers went great. They seemed like seasoned professionals which thought about and solved the same types of problems that I work with every day. We hit it off exceptionally well.

Then the managers came in for the group interview to just "see if I was a good fit for the team." They continued for the next hour to ask the worst interview questions I have ever experienced.

"Where do you see yourself in five years?"
"Why do you want to work here?"
"Rate yourself."
"Why didn't you rate yourself perfect?"

When they asked for the second time, "Tell us in 1 minute why we should hire you over all the other candidates we have interviewed," I couldn't take it anymore and replied: "Did you want this answer different than the last time I answered it?" They both kept a completely straight face as if they hadn't asked the same dumb question twice, and replied, "yes, answer it differently." At that point I knew, even if they offered me the job, that I wouldn't want to work anywhere near these managers... ever!

Interview Questions

• How would people communicate in a perfect world?   27 Answers
  • Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer
  • Where would you rate yourself on a scale of 1-10 among all the other people that have interviewed for this job?   1 Answer
  • Describe yourself in three words.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Novell

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Novell (Provo, UT) in March 2007.

Interview

This was for an internship position that I took. The interview was fairly simple. I don't think there were any behavioral type questions. It was all mostly skill based with a few questions about previous employment and describing what I did in those positions. I interviewed first with one manager that asked me background type questions and then I was interviewed by another manager who asked me a slew of technical questions. Most were pretty simple, just testing if I knew my way around Linux and then a simple programming question and sort of a math question. Overall it was really pretty simple compared to other interviews that I have had since then for real jobs and not internships.

Interview Questions

• Convert a hex number to binary and visa versa   1 Answer

Negotiation

The negotiations are handled by the human resources department. The person that I talked to was very nice. Even though it was just an internship he treated me like I was going to be a regular employee, asking me how much time I needed to consider the offer and giving me control over my decision. It was nice

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Novell (Bengaluru (India)) in June 2016.

Interview

interview process was in many rounds which have 3 rounds 1 was apti. 2nd was TR and final HR.
    If u cleared Apti round then further rounds will be easy to clear.

Interview Questions

• 1 . Tell me about ur self and after that project n ur mention technology.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Novell (Bengaluru (India)) in May 2016.

Interview

The interview was conducted through freshersworld Novell campus. It have a very difficult technical test which consisted of questions from Networking, Data Structures, C programming, aptitude, etc. Followed by technical interview where they asked almost everything from java, c, data struuctures, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Novell (Bengaluru (India)) in February 2016.

Interview

Basically, a written MCQ test which had total of 50 questions with a time limit of 1hr. You will be provided with an OMR sheet and have o darken the answers. I got through the 1st round but next round was the technical HR round, it was very hard for me.

Interview Questions

• It was a general written test which included a set of general aptitude, C concepts and Java questions. The general apps had some logical conclusion and deduction, other questions were problems on ages, mixtures, simple interest, boats & streams and probability. C concepts had topics from networks, IP address, OSI Arch., and basic library questions. Java questions were mainly, find the output or error detection.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Novell (Bengaluru (India)) in January 2016.

Interview

Shortlisted candidates were called for interview. First round was aptitude test and complexity of the interview was relatively high. Only few (2) members were shortlisted out of 200 odd members. Company infrastructure, culture everything was good. They were very polite as well. It is required to prepare well for the aptitude.

Interview Questions

• Aptitude complexity was high.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mysore (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Novell (Mysore (India)) in August 2015.

Interview

First round was online test which included 10 general aptitude questions 20 technical questions covering subjects like c, os and networks followed by one coding question.
    After online test there were two technical interviews and one HR interview.
    In technical interview questions were asked about BST, deadlock,semaphores,inter process communication and some questions about the projects.
    HR interview had usual questions like tell me about yourself,strengths etc.

Interview Questions

• An array consists of only ones and zeros,sort the array in efficient way.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Novell (Bengaluru (India)) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied through Elitmus. the interview was held in Novell office.
    the interview was pretty good. I was asked to write a string reverse program and few questions on networking. like about OSI layers and TCP/ip
    And they check your attitude, the way u communicate and your confidence.

Interview Questions

• basic programs of c and c++
      networking-osi layers and tcp
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Novell (Bengaluru (India)) in April 2014.

Interview

Hi I attended Novell Interview on april, 2014. I had 6 rounds in total.

All the rounds were simple. They ask only the very basic questions
    1. Aptitude, verbal, technical (system concepts and coding snippets), Essay on open source was not required. [details about the questions are mentioned below]
    2. Programming interview.
    3. System concepts and testing concepts [how will u test a pen, tell us some test cases in ur project]
    4. Interview with Manager [other than technical questions]
    Since everybody was busy, my interview was moved to next day.
    5. Interview with Senior Manager [other than technical questions] - she was very kind.
    6. Interview with HR [She discussed about the company, benifts etc.]

Once you clear the first 2 rounds, you are almost selected.

Salary range 6 - 7 L for freshers. Value varies in between for candidates from PSG, NIT and others.

out of station candidates, if selected will get accomodation in a business class hotel for 15 days. They welcome you with big flower boquets etc.

This is for a full time employee through employee referal without any consultancies, contract, contigencies etc.

Novell is a very peaceful place to settle. Compared to many companies in bangalore, it has a very good work life balance. Sat and sun off. Good benefits. No work pressure. No timings. My managers are really kind.

Below are the questions i noted down after each rounds. All the best. :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Novell (Bengaluru (India)) in September 2014.

Interview

applied through elitmus, called for writtern test.
    rounds: written, techical rounds, hr.
    all are elimination rounds.
    around 200 members were called for written test and only 20 got selected for next round i.e for technical interview.
    and finally 2 members got selected.