Novogradac & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 25, 2017

2.7

Junior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (Bethesda, MD) in August 2016.

Interview

1. Apply via company website.
    2. Comprehensive phone interview with executive assistant.
    3. Formal interview with member of firm and skills assessment test.
    4. Phone or in person interview with Partner of firm.

Interview Questions

• Please complete a skills assessment. (~30 minutes - 1 hour)   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Spoke with their internal recruiter on the phone. Casual phone conversation with simple questions about my resume. Invited to the in-office interview. I was given a schedule of the interview with the names of the people I would meet.

The in-office interview was with three different teams to see who I would fit best with. Also included going out to lunch with a manager and partner. Very relaxed and friendly people who asked me primarily behavioral questions. Was given an offer the same day.

VERY unprofessional when it came to negotiating the offer. WARNING: From my short time interacting with people from the firm, it seems the negatives that other reviews have brought out are true.

1) Below average pay. Their offer was below what I would think would be offered to someone straight from college and below the Glassdoor average (I already had 1+ years of experience and am a CPA). While researching them, I found details about a CPA bonus, which was not offered to me.

2) HR will be very aggressive to find out your previous salary. In addition, HR will refuse to negotiate and continue to sweet talk you and try to persuade you to take their offer.

3) It seems that they were understaffed at the time I visited the office. The office was extremely empty, which confirms their hire and fire strategy to make it by during busy season. During the interview, I also heard mentions of the amount of excessive amount of interns they hire.

4) The staff who were present during my visit seemed extremely deflated. I did not get a single smile when I met eyes with someone. Office was dead silent and destitute.

5) They do not have any SEC (public) clients. Therefore, the experience you gain here will not directly translate if you desire to move on in the future. Also the niches that they work in (low-income housing and renewable energy) are not ideal industries for future prospects.

Interview Questions

• Are you eligible to sit for the CPA exam?   1 Answer

Staff Accountant Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company.

Interview

Very good and laid back. Genuine and down to earth. Seemed somewhat unprepared, but still able to learn a lot about the potential candidate. Works around your schedule. Good overall.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (Saint Louis, MO) in July 2016.

Interview

I made it past the phone screen and the interview with a manager and a staff member. The final part of the process was an interview with the partner. I listened to the guy ramble on about tax credits for most the interview and then didn't even get an offer.

Staff Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company in June 2016.

Interview

I applied online through Linkedin and within two days I received a call from an HR and on the spot, I had a phone interview. We discussed my resume and future roles. After that, I didn't hear anything for around two weeks and then I received a call for the in-person interview which was scheduled two weeks later, as one of the interviewers was on vacation. The in-person interview was scheduled for three hours and I was supposed to meet three interviewers but on the interview day, I met four interviewers and my interview lasted for almost four hours. After in person interview, it took almost three weeks to give an employment offer. The in-person interview was mostly focused on me - like what I like to do in my spare time, what are my strengths and weaknesses etc. They also discussed the industry they operate in and what projects will be assigned to staff. Overall it was a neutral experience.

Interview Questions

• What's one thing you liked and disliked about your immediate supervisor?   Answer Question

Accounting Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company.

Interview

Very nice and friendly people there. Office interview 30 minutes with two group managers. They go through my resume and try to know more about my background. Have a tour in their office show me their kitchen and snacks bar.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

The first interview is a phone interview from one of the supervisors to screen initial candidates. Most of the questions asked were aimed to know why you selected Novoco and the position.
    The in-person interview is with 2 managers. Both interpersonal and technical questions (basic debits, credits, accruals and deferrals related to rental properties) are asked. The managers are super-friendly, so the easier it is to have a conversation with clear and concrete basics, the better shape you will be in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, and why Novoco (Novogradac & Company, LLP)?   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company.

Interview

3 interviews and small oral quiz on basic accounting. You will be asked about previous jobs experiences and why you want to work at Novo. Know about the company and be prepared to ask good questions at the end of the interview. Overall good interview process.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

The hiring process took about a month. I applied online and received a call from the internal recruiter 2 days later. After have a short conversation, I received an opportunity to go in for an interview. When I got there, I was actually expecting an assessment test to judge your knowledge in accounting, but apparently they stopped issuing those recently. So for the panel interview, I was initially greeted by a staff accountant, who I had a short conversation with about my background (They do not make the decision to hire you, they are just there to greet and walk you out after the interview). After that, I met with a manager and supervisor. It did not really feel like an interview because it felt more of a friendly conversation. They were really down to earth and really wanted to get to know you and tell you more about the firm. After that, I met with another manager, a senior associate, and a higher level staff accountant. Overall, they just want to see if you are a good fit for their team, and the company. After all that is done and over with, the staff accountant I met with earlier showed me around the building and walked me out. Prior to the interview, I was given a call a week later that I had received the offer!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.
      Why Accounting?
      How did you hear about Novogradac?
      How do you overcome stress?
      What are your hobbies outside of work?
      Tell me about a problem you faced, and how you dealt with it?
      What is your 5 year plan?
      Are you willing to work long hours?   Answer Question

Accounting Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company.

Interview

Three 30 minute interviews back to back. The interviews were quite conversational with a few behavioral questions, a few simple technical questions, and a few questions on your resume.
    Have a list of scenarios for behavioral questions. Know your resume. Ask good questions that you genuinely want to have answered and not just cookie cutter questions from the internet.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your biggest failure.
      What was your favorite and least favorite class?
      Tell me about a time you showed leadership.
      Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult teammate.
      What is the difference between balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows?
      What is depreciation and how would we record it?   Answer Question