Novogradac & Company Staff Accountant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Novogradac & Company Staff Accountant Interview Questions

Interviews at Novogradac & Company

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (Boston, MA) in November 2012.

Interview

I applied online through my school website, experience.com. I had to send them a transcript, resume, cover letter and their online application. I went to their Boston office and was first asked to take a small test and to prepare a writing sample. This took be about 45 minutes. I was then interview by 3 "senior accountants", all about 20 minutes each. Questions were fairly simple, but make sure you understand the job description very well! They asked me questions like "Do you like to work on a team or by yourself" and the job description clearly stated that you would be working within a team.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult/unexpected part of the interview was the small test and writing sample. I had not heard of other firms doing this so it was very out of the blue, but the test was simple. Make sure you know WHY you want to work for novogradac & company and HOW you are a good fit for the job and their company   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate, it was only a 3 month busy season internship

Other Interview Reviews for Novogradac & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Just interviewed recently and I must say it was the WORST company that I've seen EVER! The moment I stepped in their building, I had the feeling that I was inside a shoe factory. I couldn't find any motivation of getting a job there after seeing the building itself.

Interview Questions

• Why public accounting at Novogradac?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (San Francisco, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online and about a week later, I got an email to schedule for a phone interview. After the phone interview, I got invited for an office visit/in person interview. Everyone was extremely friendly, sociable.

They make you take a basic accounting/excel test.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Novogradac? Why not PWC or Deloitte?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

1st round is a phone screen. They ask basic questions, but make sure you do research about the firm and its niches.

2nd round is a onsite office interview with a senior. More behavorial questions. After the interview, there's an assessment test composed of accounting, excel, and writing. It's timed and so make sure you know your basic accounting and excel skills.

3rd round was another onsite office interview with an associate, senior, manager, and supervisor. More behavorial questions with a few accounting questions.

I was notified that I would get an offer two days later and got the official offer once my background check cleared. The whole process took about 3 weeks, the recruiter did a good job letting me know where I was at in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• What are some things you look for in the financial statements as an investor?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't try.

Staff Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company in August 2014.

Staff Accountant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call for initial screening within a week.
    Then, I received an email to schedule an onsite interview. The interview consisted of mostly behavioral questions. After that, I was asked to take an assessment test which I was notified about earlier when I scheduled the interview. It has three parts: a short paragraph on why you want to work in public accounting and why Novogradac, excel spreadsheet, and some accounting questions. I was told that I would be given 45 minutes, but they insisted that I turn in the test after 25 minutes. At that point I assumed that I am not getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• The accounting part on the assessment test could be tricky.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (Portland, OR) in October 2013.

Interview

First round interview - 30 minutes on-campus. Asked a few questions about why accounting and why Novogradac. It was a fairly relaxed process - we spent about 5-10 minutes talking about myself, 10-15 minutes answering some questions, and another 5 or so at the end asking a few questions about the company. I recommend learning about the company, more than on a superficial level.

Round two was with four different people: staff accountant, senior manager, principal, and partner. 45 minute practical exam, very basic excel work, a short word document essay with proper formatting, and a few pages worth of accounting problems, roughly at the intermediate level. each interview was ~30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• I was surprised when the partner asked about what my needs were and what I was asking for. He basically said "I want to make sure that we're meeting your needs as much as we're looking for a good hire."   1 Answer

Staff Accountant Interview

Interview

First round - phone interview
    Second round - interview with Senior Accountant and then assessment exam.
    Third round - Interview with Staff, Senior Accountant, Manager, and Principal

Staff Accountant Interview

Interview

I applied online through the company's website and received an email from a recruiter to set-up a phone interview. The interview questions over the phone were basic. Next was an office visit that consisted of an interview with a current staff accountant and an exam covering accounting and excel. The last phase was another office visit with 2-3 more interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Novogradac & Company (San Francisco, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

HR Opening Interview - answering any questions about firm.
    Main interview with Senior. They asked what was my favorite class. Review of resume. Discussion of the work and how they work in teams. Basic information on size of firm.
    HR Follow-up after assessment test - Would I be willing to work as an intern first?

Interview Questions

• Assessment Test Including Excel (2 Excel worksheets - one focused on format changes and the other on basic formula and table formatting.   Answer Question
    • Assessment Test - Calculation of Depreciation and Year-End Depreciation journal entries, know basic accounts - whether debits vs. credits, posting a few journal entries and then putting into trial balance, calculating depreciation and amortization, review of notes about financial condition and taking the correct information and making final depreciation and amortization calculation.   Answer Question
    • Word Document - Why Public Accounting at Novogradac - 2 paragraphs.   Answer Question

Other opportunities.