Nucor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Nucor

3.2

Regional Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Payne, AL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nucor (Fort Payne, AL) in August 2011.

Interview

One panel interview and a one on one interview. Each asked a different set of questions. Process took about 2 hours plus or minus. No tests were given. I was a current employee at another Nucor site so I did not have to fill out an application. Do interview in cases like this you just have to have your current managers recommendation.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What areas do you have problems with in your current job?   1 Answer

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Nucor.

Interview

They employed the good cop/bad cop strategy. Interview went on for over an hour and was painstakingly miserable. Made me feel so small and they just kept asking me to elaborate further and further whenever I gave an answer. One of them, they were both male, made a comment that they were already married and weren't looking for anything when I mentioned my boyfriend in an answer and they both laughed hard. It was really weird and made me feel uncomfortable. I walked out in the end not even asking when I'd hear back by because I would never want to work for this company.

Interview Questions

• When shown seven balls all of the same weight and an eighth heavier ball, what is the fewest amounts of steps you're able to determine the heaviest ball using only a balance and not being able to pick them up yourself? Talk us through your thought process.   Answer Question

Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Nucor (Washington, DC) in December 2018.

Interview

Apply online, take a personal assessment test, interview by several Nucor management members. Then additional interview(s) and hiring pool is formulated based on results. Very fair process but hard to stand out.

Chemical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nucor (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2017.

Interview

It was an on campus interview, which consisted of two back-to-back panel interviews with three people each. Both panels asked the same behavioral questions in the exact same way. I told a small joke in the very beginning of the interview and someone on the panel continued their outburst of laughter throughout the entire interview. The questions were not difficult, but it was hard to concentrate and speak over the laughter.

Mechanical Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houghton, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Nucor (Houghton, MI) in February 2015.

Interview

Two interviewers met me on campus after the career fair. Both were friendly and eager to learn about me. They look for employees with high "emotional intelligence"; the ability to effectively understand one's own emotions and the emotions of others in order to interact respectfully. There is a book on it by Travis Bradberry & Jean Greaves that they recommend.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you showed leadership in a group project?   Answer Question

Metallurgical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nucor.

Interview

Hour long interview consisting of personality questions, very easy to talk to the guys doing the interview. Nothing too technical or very personal, definitely focused on finding the right personalities for their company. Good experience overall!

Interview Questions

• What was a time when you have failed in the work place and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Metallurgical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Nucor (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2017.

Interview

It was a panel styled interview. It was very unprofessional and the recruiters were a bunch of clowns making inappropriate jokes and not answering my question seriously. I regret wasting my time going to the interview.

Interview Questions

• Name one time you had difficulty working with someone in a group?   Answer Question

Metallurgist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nucor.

Interview

Interview was scripted. Four to five rounds of similar questions posed by managers, sales representatives, and other plant personnel. Typical questions ranged from how the candidate feels about team environment, what their attitudes were concerning ethical behavior, and other generic strengths / weaknesses type.
    I think I subconsciously sabotaged my own interview because I couldn't see myself living in the rural area where the mill was located. Also, my personality did not mesh well with other plant personnel. When thinking about working at Nucor one must find an opening at their Berkeley (Charleston, SC) mill or accept that the job will be located in a remote area -- meaning you either commute a good distance from a mid-sized town or you live in a very small town.

Interview Questions

• "When was the last time that stands out when someone asked you to do something you knew was wrong and how did you respond?"   Answer Question

Metallurgist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Nucor in August 2016.

Interview

2 Panel interviews, 3 people in each interview. Panels consisted of engineers and managers.
    Interview questions consisted of about ten or so behavioral (STAR) questions. Technical questions regarding your work history are sprinkled in as well.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you made a mistake at work, and how did you correct it?   Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Nucor (Fort Wayne, IN) in November 2015.

Interview

First had a standard phone interview with hr that lasted about 40min then was called to set up an email with the recruiter/design team leader. That interview was over an hour and a half answering standard interview questions and just having a dialogue. Then they had me drive to site which was reimbursed where had an all day interview that consisted of two panel interviews, a plant tour, lunch, and a technical test. Everyone on the team has to like you and you must pass an in site drug test To get an offer.