O.C. Tanner Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

O.C. Tanner Software Developer Interview Questions

Software Developer Interview

Interview

The hiring process started well when a Director contacted me via email and scheduled a lunch interview. A couple architects and directors showed up for the initial meeting and asked general non-programming questions. Later, I was called in for an on-site interview where I was supposed to meet with the members of the prospective team. No one seemed to have received any training on conducting an interview. I was asked to pair program with one guy to write the game, Bingo. I have nothing against TDD, but I think it is a total waste of time if you write a test to test whether a constructor works as expected. Another guy brought his laptop and asked me to find out flaws in his code. After I did provide a few suggestions, this guy seemed a little pissed. The final straw was sitting in the cubicle with a QA. He showed me some ruby code for automation which had some basic flaws such as file name of the config file being hard coded in the project. Each QA has to change it to suit their personal dev machines. I suggested them change that to a convention. After a few hours of weirdness the director showed me around and started negotiating the salary. Maybe it's me, but it's hard to trust a manager who asks to accept less salary in lieu of a larger bonus. His spiel about importance of 100% code coverage & TDD nazism left a bad taste and showed how the company blindly followed advice of some consultant.

After this weird experience, I was unsure what to expect. Although I was able to answer programming questions, such as SQL join, I did not know how to feel. I waited for them to get back to me. Few days, weeks, months.. No one ever contacted or responded to my emails.