O'Melveny & Myers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at O'Melveny & Myers

2.7

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at O'Melveny & Myers (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Through OCI.

Negotiation

There is no negotiation on salary - it's fixed.

Associate Attorney Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at O'Melveny & Myers in March 2013.

Interview

Interview was casual and conversational with few direct questions about my prior work experience. It did not appear that the interviewers had a certain set of questions they were required to ask. I met with employees at all levels from partnership to first year associate. It was a bit hectic setting up the interview since my slate of interviewers was not finalized until nearly the day of, making it difficult to do my research.

Business Develop Interview

Anonymous Employee in Century City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at O'Melveny & Myers (Century City, CA).

Interview

Super nice people; the interview was so pleasant.

Interview Questions

• None really; it seemed like I was simply having a nice conversation   Answer Question

Negotiation

recruiter was involved; very easy

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at O'Melveny & Myers (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Beautiful San Francisco office. I met with 5 attorneys over the course of approximately 3 hours with each interview lasting about 30 minutes or so. The interview with the associate attorneys were very informal and conversational. However, the conversations with the partners were more focused and stressful. Overall the experience itself was very pleasant. My only complaint was that following the interview the company did not return any inquiries into the status of the hiring process. Following my interview I never heard from them again. I would be inclined to complain about this, but I am quickly learning that not hearing back from an employer after an in person interview is common practice in the legal industry.

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at O'Melveny & Myers (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Participated in on OCI: one screening interview on campus (20 mins) and one callback (half a day including lunch). The callback included 30 minute interviews with associates and partners. Lunch was with two associates.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation re salary. It is preset.

Legal Secretary Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at O'Melveny & Myers.

Interview

I applied for the position online and received an email asking if I was available to come into their SF office to complete the required prescreening and prerequisite testing. A few weeks later I was contacted by the hiring manger who conveyed that I was one of three applicants selected from the prescreening pool to be granted an in-person interview. I was asked to perform an in-person interview with the group of attorneys I would be supporting. The hiring manager was brief about the interview process but did divulge that I would be meeting with multiple associate attorneys and multiple partners. On the day of the interview, I arrived early and was taken into a small conference room. The interview process lasted approximately four hours as I met with a total of six professionals (2 partners, 4 associates). The process was draining yet enlightening. The questions from the associates were conversational in nature, whereas the questions from the partners were direct, thought provoking, why-should-we-hire you type of questions. If I was to rate the difficulty of the questions posed by the associates, I would rate it a 3/10. On the same scale, the partners' questions would be rated an 8/10. Overall, the experience was amazing. My only complaint was that despite being told unequivocally that I would hear one way or another on the status of the position, I never heard anything. I emailed and called the hiring manager in the days and weeks following the interview astutely aware of the fine line between following up and being burdensome. I even left a voicemail for the interview assistant who proctored my pre-testing to see if he could shed any light on the status of the position. To my disappointment, I never received word from anyone at this company following my interview.

Interview Questions

• Associates: Tell me about yourself.

Partners: Questions weren't overly intrusive or technically difficult but stress level and directness of the questions made this portion much more difficult.   Answer Question

Client Development Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at O'Melveny & Myers.

Interview

I was contacted shortly after submitting my application, with the first phone interview occurring about a week later. Following the phone interview were three video interviews. About 30 minutes after the video interviews, I was invited to visit the office. Since I am on the other side of the country, I asked if there would be compensation or the possibility to do another video interview instead of flying out. I never heard back from the firm after that inquiry.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose your college major? Why do you want this job? What would you do if you disagreed with a manager? How do you handle multiple, ambiguous projects? What are your plans five years from now?   Answer Question

Client Development Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at O'Melveny & Myers (Washington, DC) in July 2013.

Interview

After applying through the company website, I received a screening phone call. Afterwards, HR set up an in person interview with my would-be manager. For the last round, I had a phone call with three different people on the team, each about 10-15 minutes long. I dialed into a conference number and they each dial-ed in one by one. They were looking to fill the position quickly, so the whole process from the first screening and the final offer took less than 2 weeks.

Associate Interview

Interview

telephone interview first and then a second interview on spot with the associate/counsel. Both of them asked questions based on my personal experiences and working experience. And after that I raised questions about the position.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at O'Melveny & Myers (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in January 2017.

Interview

There are two rounds of interview in total: 1) interview with HR and a counsel (around 30 minutes) ; 2) 1:1 interview with partner (around 20 minutes). No other assessments required.

Interview Questions

• Competency based interview. Just make sure you know your CV inside out   Answer Question