OANDA Interview Questions in Canada | Glassdoor

2.4

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

Received phone call after resume was found online. Recruiter asked questions that screened the candidate in terms of their current situation and what they are looking for. Discussed company background, culture and the available role. At in person interview was asked to demonstrate systems knowledge and given a scenario to showcase thought process and troubleshooting skills.

Interview Questions

• Recall a difficult troubleshooting case you had to resolve from your previous experience and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Quantitative Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online through their website. Got a response within the next few days.
    First interview was 30 min phone call with HR. I was asked basics HR questions (nothing complicated or unexpected). Then had to do an home assignment (details below). Easy assignment if you know the basics of data science.
    Second interview was on-site for 1h30min. Some technical questions (nothing too complicated) about ML, and deep learning in general, and cloud/cluster computing (Spark, Hadoop).
    Follow-up with them the next week. Never received an answer (although I think I did pretty well answering their assignment and the in-person interview).

My opinion about this company: like many finance/investment companies, they are jumping into the ML/DL band wagon. However the amount of data they have is limited (5TB), have no big data infrastructure (no cloud computing, no local cluster), and only have 1 semi-expert in ML/DL in their trading team, no one else in the team know how to code. Conclusion: this is not the place for big data stuff.

Interview Questions

• Home assignment: OANDA operates a trading platform which allows clients to buy and sell currency pairs. When a client makes a trade to buy or a sell a currency pair, the company must decide to either (a) offset the exposure immediately by hedging the trade with a bank, or (b) hold the exposure for a period of time allowing the market to move before hedging the trade. If the company hedges the trade immediately, they will realize a small profit for each trade. If they hold the exposure, then they may realize a large profit or loss, depending if the market moves with or against the exposure.

You are tasked with determining (for each client trade) whether we should hedge the trade immediately or should hold on to the exposure for a period of time. Describe how you would perform this analysis, including what data, tools, or processes you would use. State your assumptions.

Comment from HR:
      The trading team is not looking for an exact solution, more to see your understanding of the problem, and for a proposal about how one would go about finding a solution to the problem. No formulas are required.   1 Answer

Partner Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OANDA in January 2017.

Interview

I received a phone call after a week of applying for the role. The interview was with a senior HR recruiter. The questions were simple soft questions about myself, my background, and my cultural fit with the company. At the end of the call, the rep told me that she would like to schedule the next round with the technical team, an asked for my availability. After I submitted my times, I heard nothing back for a week. I was given some excuse about her being sick. She then promised to get back to me in a few days. Again, I hear nothing. After the 3rd week, I ask again about the progress of my application. I then get told that they went with someone else without any apology.

I was also a customer of theirs. I have now moved my business to their competitor. I will never work for this company, and I am telling everyone I know to stay away from them.

Interview Questions

• When are you available for a chat with our managers?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2015.

Interview

First Interview was a call from HR and Second interview was with 2 project managers in person. The third round interview is meeting the director. The second interview was 4 days after the HR screen.

Interview Questions

• What is so challenging for you in your current job at your current company ?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about one of the challenges you had in your job and tell us how you solved it   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied on their website. I got an email from the in-house Recruiter with OANDA Corporation. She scheduled a call and we talked for 40 minutes. She was such a nice woman. She scheduled an interview for next week. I met 2 project managers on the team. After 3 weeks, I got an email from the recruiter and saying that I as a Product manager am not a good match for this position and the Product team would be a better fit for me given my career plans and ambitions which was a total truth.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2015.

Interview

I was contacted via email by the VP, Product Management to arrange a meeting to discuss the current opening for a Product Manager. An interview was scheduled by phone the following week. The initial interview was approximately 30 minutes in length. This involved reviewing my experience chronologically and providing details with respect to the position. I had a number of questions with respect to the role and the interview concluded with VP, Product Management indicating that based upon the initial discussion, it would be a benefit to arrange an onsite meeting to continue the interview process. There was no further communication from OANDA after the interview (over six weeks). The position was reposted a week ago, indicating that they have not found their candidate. I am surprised a company with the reputation of OANDA ended the interview process in such a manner. Hopefully, the latest set of candidates will have a more professional experience.

Interview Questions

• Can you discuss your experience in the development of a software solution?   Answer Question

C++ Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Done through school coop program, submitted resume and received a 45 minute skype interview. This consisted of 10 minutes of past experience. A few verbal questions about deadlock, OOP (they asked difference between inheritance and composition I was caught off guard).

Interview Questions

• When you type in "google.ca" in your browser, what happens behind the scenes when fetching HTML   Answer Question