OANDA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 14, 2017

2.7

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I had previously interviewed for a contract position, and received an offer I declined in order to return to a previous employer. HR kept track of when I would be ready to interview again and got in touch. We arranged to have me come into the office for two one-hour interviews, back to back.

The first was with a recruiter, plus two engineers. We talked a fair amount about my background, and experience with key technologies, then moved onto technical questions. They started with a series of questions that were well outside my stated areas of strength, which was pretty humiliating and definitely got things started on the wrong foot. It's surprisingly hard to do well once you're off your game. They then moved on to a few questions that were more relevant to my experience and areas of interest, which was much more welcome.

The second interview was with two other engineers, both managers. They again started with my background, and we talked about what I'd been doing since I last interviewed with the company. They were very interested in understanding what motivated me to come in for another interview, and what I was looking for in an employer. When we moved to technical questions, they struggled to find appropriate questions that I hadn't answered before. I think I made a good impression. We ended the interview by talking about what it would take to get me on board with the company, and then did a short tour of the office space.

The next day, HR got in touch to let me know they would like to extend an offer, and to get ballpark salary information. I got the offer letter about two weeks later. I had received other offers in the meantime, and did ask for some changes to the package offer. My recruiter really went to bat for me, but although they were able to make some changes, I decided to accept a position elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Given a simple polynomial expression, calculate the derivative.   Answer Question
    • Given a currency value, add thousand-separator commas.   Answer Question
    • How do you create a function that increments a variable that isn't accessible from outside the function?   1 Answer

OANDA is a small company that can't offer the same kinds of compensation that other larger organizations can. This doesn't simply mean monetary compensation, but also the reputational currency of having worked at world-class technology companies.

C++ Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Done through school coop program, submitted resume and received a 45 minute skype interview. This consisted of 10 minutes of past experience. A few verbal questions about deadlock, OOP (they asked difference between inheritance and composition I was caught off guard).

Interview Questions

• When you type in "google.ca" in your browser, what happens behind the scenes when fetching HTML   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2008.

Interview

The first interview was over the phone - the recruiter simply listed off a few programming and networking questions which are designed to weed out those without any experience. The second interview was by a panel of three people + recruiter. The questions were mostly on programming, with a few trick questions. A lot of networking questions may be asked depending on the interviewer. A second interview was later assigned with two more senior members, which consisted mostly of explaining processes and generic questions.

Interview Questions

• I can't recall the exact code, but it's a simple loop which has two variables inside it. One of the variables is auto-incremented, but under a certain condition the last increment is lost.   Answer Question
    • How would you find if two threads are in dead-lock? How do you resolve dead-lock?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The recruiters will lowball your salary expectations, if you feel confident you may want to stick to your figures. From the experience of others, the company is not willing to accommodate demands for longer vacations. Options in the company and bonuses are not provided on paper.

Client Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2017.

Interview

First, it was a phone interview, common questions why OANDA, tell more about yourself, really nothing special. HR was pleasant, the interview was not hectic. I was invited for an onsite interview to talk to the manager. HR promised to contact me at the end of the week and inform me about the results (in any case). Never heard back. Followed up with an email - no response. In a week the job was reposted, so I assume, I didn't get a job. But if you meet someone in person, you can expect at least a rejection email. Based on interviews posted here, seems to be common practice for Toronto office.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about yourself, behavioral questions, career goals   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at OANDA (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

phone call, then sit down for interview. it's quite easy process and processed very fast.

nothing much special and normal interview process with team manager, division manger。Qs like what's your strength and weakness, what's your contribution to your past work.

Administration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by the company - went through a phone screen, an in-person interview and a skype interview - total of 3+ hours and they never even bothered to contact me to let me know I didn't get the job, even after I sent an e-mail requesting an update - I'm assuming I didn't get the job...

Interview Questions

• Just the usual boring interview questions - nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

Received phone call after resume was found online. Recruiter asked questions that screened the candidate in terms of their current situation and what they are looking for. Discussed company background, culture and the available role. At in person interview was asked to demonstrate systems knowledge and given a scenario to showcase thought process and troubleshooting skills.

Interview Questions

• Recall a difficult troubleshooting case you had to resolve from your previous experience and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Straight forward. One on one interview. Standard interview. They will ask the questions that are relevant to the job. Good work culture. Both fast and exciting at the same time. Good managers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negatives

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at OANDA.

Interview

Two rounds face to face, mostly technical and behavioural questions.
    Decision was taken quickly.Manager and Director took the interview. It was quick. friendly people
    I was informed the next day that i have been selected. got the offer next week.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied on their website. I got an email from the in-house Recruiter with OANDA Corporation. She scheduled a call and we talked for 40 minutes. She was such a nice woman. She scheduled an interview for next week. I met 2 project managers on the team. After 3 weeks, I got an email from the recruiter and saying that I as a Product manager am not a good match for this position and the Product team would be a better fit for me given my career plans and ambitions which was a total truth.