OANDA Interview Questions in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 14, 2017

11 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Client Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2017.

Interview

First, it was a phone interview, common questions why OANDA, tell more about yourself, really nothing special. HR was pleasant, the interview was not hectic. I was invited for an onsite interview to talk to the manager. HR promised to contact me at the end of the week and inform me about the results (in any case). Never heard back. Followed up with an email - no response. In a week the job was reposted, so I assume, I didn't get a job. But if you meet someone in person, you can expect at least a rejection email. Based on interviews posted here, seems to be common practice for Toronto office.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about yourself, behavioral questions, career goals   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

Received phone call after resume was found online. Recruiter asked questions that screened the candidate in terms of their current situation and what they are looking for. Discussed company background, culture and the available role. At in person interview was asked to demonstrate systems knowledge and given a scenario to showcase thought process and troubleshooting skills.

Interview Questions

• Recall a difficult troubleshooting case you had to resolve from your previous experience and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Quantitative Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online through their website. Got a response within the next few days.
    First interview was 30 min phone call with HR. I was asked basics HR questions (nothing complicated or unexpected). Then had to do an home assignment (details below). Easy assignment if you know the basics of data science.
    Second interview was on-site for 1h30min. Some technical questions (nothing too complicated) about ML, and deep learning in general, and cloud/cluster computing (Spark, Hadoop).
    Follow-up with them the next week. Never received an answer (although I think I did pretty well answering their assignment and the in-person interview).

My opinion about this company: like many finance/investment companies, they are jumping into the ML/DL band wagon. However the amount of data they have is limited (5TB), have no big data infrastructure (no cloud computing, no local cluster), and only have 1 semi-expert in ML/DL in their trading team, no one else in the team know how to code. Conclusion: this is not the place for big data stuff.

Interview Questions

• Home assignment: OANDA operates a trading platform which allows clients to buy and sell currency pairs. When a client makes a trade to buy or a sell a currency pair, the company must decide to either (a) offset the exposure immediately by hedging the trade with a bank, or (b) hold the exposure for a period of time allowing the market to move before hedging the trade. If the company hedges the trade immediately, they will realize a small profit for each trade. If they hold the exposure, then they may realize a large profit or loss, depending if the market moves with or against the exposure.

You are tasked with determining (for each client trade) whether we should hedge the trade immediately or should hold on to the exposure for a period of time. Describe how you would perform this analysis, including what data, tools, or processes you would use. State your assumptions.

Comment from HR:
      The trading team is not looking for an exact solution, more to see your understanding of the problem, and for a proposal about how one would go about finding a solution to the problem. No formulas are required.   1 Answer

Administration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by the company - went through a phone screen, an in-person interview and a skype interview - total of 3+ hours and they never even bothered to contact me to let me know I didn't get the job, even after I sent an e-mail requesting an update - I'm assuming I didn't get the job...

Interview Questions

• Just the usual boring interview questions - nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Straight forward. One on one interview. Standard interview. They will ask the questions that are relevant to the job. Good work culture. Both fast and exciting at the same time. Good managers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negatives

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2015.

Interview

First Interview was a call from HR and Second interview was with 2 project managers in person. The third round interview is meeting the director. The second interview was 4 days after the HR screen.

Interview Questions

• What is so challenging for you in your current job at your current company ?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about one of the challenges you had in your job and tell us how you solved it   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2015.

Interview

I applied on their website. I got an email from the in-house Recruiter with OANDA Corporation. She scheduled a call and we talked for 40 minutes. She was such a nice woman. She scheduled an interview for next week. I met 2 project managers on the team. After 3 weeks, I got an email from the recruiter and saying that I as a Product manager am not a good match for this position and the Product team would be a better fit for me given my career plans and ambitions which was a total truth.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I had previously interviewed for a contract position, and received an offer I declined in order to return to a previous employer. HR kept track of when I would be ready to interview again and got in touch. We arranged to have me come into the office for two one-hour interviews, back to back.

The first was with a recruiter, plus two engineers. We talked a fair amount about my background, and experience with key technologies, then moved onto technical questions. They started with a series of questions that were well outside my stated areas of strength, which was pretty humiliating and definitely got things started on the wrong foot. It's surprisingly hard to do well once you're off your game. They then moved on to a few questions that were more relevant to my experience and areas of interest, which was much more welcome.

The second interview was with two other engineers, both managers. They again started with my background, and we talked about what I'd been doing since I last interviewed with the company. They were very interested in understanding what motivated me to come in for another interview, and what I was looking for in an employer. When we moved to technical questions, they struggled to find appropriate questions that I hadn't answered before. I think I made a good impression. We ended the interview by talking about what it would take to get me on board with the company, and then did a short tour of the office space.

The next day, HR got in touch to let me know they would like to extend an offer, and to get ballpark salary information. I got the offer letter about two weeks later. I had received other offers in the meantime, and did ask for some changes to the package offer. My recruiter really went to bat for me, but although they were able to make some changes, I decided to accept a position elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Given a simple polynomial expression, calculate the derivative.   Answer Question
    • Given a currency value, add thousand-separator commas.   Answer Question
    • How do you create a function that increments a variable that isn't accessible from outside the function?   1 Answer

OANDA is a small company that can't offer the same kinds of compensation that other larger organizations can. This doesn't simply mean monetary compensation, but also the reputational currency of having worked at world-class technology companies.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2013.

Interview

Telephonic HR questions.
    Technical on site interview one woman, one man and HR.
    Yes HR sits through the technical intv. Wierd!
    Basically the interviewers were technically incompetent, esp the woman.
    There was a programming problem they asked me to do on the board.

Interview Questions

• wite a program to find derivative of a polynomial of the form ax^2+bx+c   Answer Question

Low salary offered. The high salary their mods have posted here is fake.

C++ Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at OANDA (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Done through school coop program, submitted resume and received a 45 minute skype interview. This consisted of 10 minutes of past experience. A few verbal questions about deadlock, OOP (they asked difference between inheritance and composition I was caught off guard).

Interview Questions

• When you type in "google.ca" in your browser, what happens behind the scenes when fetching HTML   Answer Question