OHSU Research Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

OHSU Research Associate Interview Questions

2.4

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in May 2015.

Interview

I submitted my application online (OHSU has an awful careers site that is un-intuitive and difficult to maneuver) and received an email within a couple days from the PI who posted the job. We arranged a phone interview, and concluded it by agreed to schedule a follow-up interview that would include a presentation. Then I never heard from the PI again, as they did not respond to any of my follow up emails about the next interview.

Interview Questions

• How has your research experience prepared you for this position?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for OHSU

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OHSU.

Interview

These vary depending on the supervisor and the department. The online job system seemed simple to use and the results to job queries came within a week or two. It's not perfect, as HR is charged with the initial screening, but pretty good.

Interview Questions

• None really. Basic interview; I suspect a bit of vetting came before the final interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to slightly negotiate on salary, but it was still quite lower than at my former job. It's grant supported, so I don't know they had much wiggle room. Also some departments seem to rank based on the lowest common denominator. For instance, in other departments someone with my experience would be a Senior Research Associate. In others, that person would be a Research Assistant.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in March 2012.

Interview

I was in Michigan back then, my current boss called and talked to me for 15 min, then called my referral and probably talked for another 10 min, and I was hired later that evening. I was hired in March but only started my new job in July due to visa application and yes, they do provide you with H1B visa. If they said they don't, look for another PI.

Interview Questions

• What kind of research do you do? Any relevant research skills?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in August 2011.

Interview

cant remember too much detail. applied online while working at OHSU. 1 phone call to set up interview with both potential supervisors. short interview.

Negotiation

they asked what i would like to make...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at OHSU (Portland, OR) in August 2010.

Interview

My telephone interview with the research staff was positive, but I had to pay for an in-person interview trip at my own expense at my "level" (e.g., non-clinician). Subsequently, I had a positive interview, but the job was offered to another candidate. I was told I was one of two top candidates and must give references. Though this somewhat makes sense, I caution against giving references unless you are THE candidate. Otherwise, it alerts your present employer that you are "looking". I was then offered another position, but I eventually declined because the salary range at OHSU for my job description was dismally low with no relocation, etc. There was no negotiation on the salary.

Everyone I interviewed with was wonderful. I would have LOVED to work with this group.

Interview Questions

I did some research on glassdoor.com and see that 14 Research Associates at OHSU have submitted their salaries. Though I still would have accepted a paycut to work with this group and live in Portland, the low end of the range, the "baseline" salary, was the only offer though I have 17 years experience (this was more than 30K less than I now earn). Of the 14 OHSU submitters for this type job on glassdoor.com, 12 have less than one year experience in the job. Also, there was a complaint among those that I interviewed with that training a new person is long and tedious, then they leave.

Management should take note of this. Research investigator/physicians are highly prized for their cutting edge research protocols and institutions should keep them happy. Keeping a well trained research support staff, and actively recruiting fresh talent honed elsewhere, will help keep their PI's happy while the study team works together for the benefit of the patient and scarce research dollars.