ON Semiconductor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 1, 2017

2.9

Firmware Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (San Jose, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Got phone call after applying online within a week. Very difficult and the guy is looking for a particular skill. I have done a project on ARM Cache configuration in one of my graduate courses and mentioned in my resume. He is looking for ARM MCU system design. I never listened that word, that is the first time and it took me 5 seconds to get that word. I told I don't have any course work in that, he asked the I2C protocols, I didn't prepared that as I am having a busy schedule with my semester. The HR will send a list of questions to fill, after responding to that email, she will schedule the interview without asking your possibility. I am having a mid exam and a programming assignment to submit. She haven't gave a single day time. He asked mostly on the MCU system design even though I said I don't know. He asked some basic C questions, interrupt, unsigned. He is looking for the exact keywords. He is a chinese guy, so it took me more time to understand the questions. He is expecting a lot from graduate students. In the end he understood and had seen my resume , understood, I am towards VLSI and told he don't have any openings. Never apply to the position that you doesn't fit and don'y have confidence. It is waste of time and you will loose your confidence.

Interview Questions

• MCU system design, I2C protocols, basic C questions. Some difficult questions on logic design,   Answer Question
    • How can you make a second bit of 32 bits to zero without changing the other bits. How can you toggle the second bit without effecting the other bits. Similar kind of questions like this   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warwick, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (Warwick, RI) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied online with received an email to set up a "Phone Screen Availability Request" with Human Resources from main office in Arizona, who then forwarded my answers to one of the site App engineers. Received and email from engineer stating he wanted to call me and talk to me about the job. After talking a few minutes about the job, he started with some tech questioning, I wasn't expecting any tech questions until the face to face interview. I was caught completely off guard, even though it was easy question my mind was on eating my Subway sandwich, had no pencil or paper. Engineer's voice sunk after I gave him the wrong answer, and said he has other candidates he has to interview and would let me know. (We both knew we wouldn't be speaking to each other ever again :) ).

Anyways I sent him a thank you for the interview email, no response...about a week later got an email stating there found someone else. Would of been nice to sit down and meet face to face oh well, my lost your gain.

Hopefully you can learn from my experience, as for me.. I just accepted my an offer with Raytheon, Cheers.

God works in mysterious ways :)

Interview Questions

• HR
      1. Why have you identified ON Semiconductor as a possible employer?
      2. What would you consider to be your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
      3. What is your expected graduation date, major, and GPA?
      4. What courses have been most interesting and engaging for you?
      5. What are your current career aspirations/goals?
      6. Are you currently authorized to work within the United States?
      7. Will you now or in the future require sponsorship?
      8. Are you available to start January 9, 2017?
      9. If you do not already currently live in the immediate area, are you open to relocating?
      10. Are you available to work part time during the school semester based on school schedule?
      11. Do you currently have any pending offers/interviews?
      12. What is your availability for a follow up interview during normal business hours?
      13. Please provide an electronic unofficial transcript showing the following semester’s enrollment.

Engineer Phone interview

1. You have two resistors in parallel, of equal resistance, you need 10 ohms what is the value of each resistor.
      1 Answer

Manufacturimg Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gresham, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (Gresham, OR) in November 2016.

Interview

They first called me and i spoke to someone for about 20 minutes. Then they called me in for an interview where i spoke with 2 HR reps for 15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Have you had a time when you had a disagreement with a co-worker? How did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Mixed Signal Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through employee referral. First round was supposed to be phone interview. But they were coming to the career fair at my university that week. So, I had an interview with the hiring manager at the career fair. Second round was onsite interview. It was not hard but I was not prepared and I got a reject.

Interview Questions

• Questions about power conversion and a pre-decided questionaire including basic questions about circuit analysis.   Answer Question

Security Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (Portland, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was a panel interview with the site manager, regional manger, and world manger. It was initially intimidating however they did a good job of easing the situation. The interview lasted about an hour and went back and forth between job history and experience and role responsibilities. Was told I would receive feedback one way or the other in a week or so and did not receive any notice.

Interview Questions

• Have you experience any personal or professional tragedies and how did you respond to it?   Answer Question

Supply Chain Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2016.

Interview

Pretty straight forward, interviewed with several people at once. Behavioral based questions, emphasis on past work experience is very important. I had a phone interview first and then they called me back for an in person interview in front of a panel.

Interview Questions

• Give me an experience in your past work history where you had a conflict with management or another employee. Tell me about the incident and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gresham, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (Gresham, OR) in July 2016.

Interview

The 1st step went well. I showed up early. I was greeted by staff, given instructions what to do next which I followed. We went to the 3rd floor. We gathered with others. Visual and hands on, of working environment. I so enjoyed all of the team work ghat went into welcoming us. They said everything straight up. What they are looking for. I was thinking more positive after leaving.

Interview Questions

• Can you stand,walk,for 12 hour shifts?   1 Answer

Middleware Architect Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor.

Interview

A very structured process. Had a telephone interview and then an in person interview. I had 5 rounds of in person interview. It is professional structure. I did get an offer. I decided to pass the offer because the salary I was offered was not at par. The culture in my opinion is not a dynamic IT culture, it is more of old fashioned manufacturing culture

Power Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (Providence, RI) in May 2016.

Interview

First you do a half hour phone session. If good, you go on for a on site interview set. Lots of technical questions and some behavioral. I interviewed with some highly awkward and unprofessional people, along with a few good ones (Hiring manager included). One guy seemed like he was trying to stump me, bad attitude, abrupt, insulting and was very rude about my work, my thesis, etc. He also brought up borderline "illegal" questions that you should never ask anyone at the interview (actually a few of them did this).

Most 1:1 interviews was just tech question after tech question with no look at my work, background or questions on who I am. They didnt care about much of me, only if I could answer a lot of technical questions and if I fitted in with them politically.

Hiring manager was very kind, but seemed like he doesn't have enough say to keep people he likes. I did very well I thought, but since I didnt remember equations off the top of my head, especially after feeling extremely anxious being consistently and uncomfortably grilled (the guy said he was trying to stump me), I was suddenly labeled as I didnt know my stuff according to hiring manager when I talked to him after I was given a email decision by HR. I did however told him he forgot a negative once I did remember the equation, which he responded: well, I guess you are right, after he tried to prove me wrong....just bad.

HR is kind, and the other folks are nice. Its a cubical farm with bad lighting, so I am not that disappointed, however I dont like being told I dont know my material if I cannot remember an non-typical equation that I dont use daily. HR being located in a different time zone and disconnected from opposite coast does not help this process, but they are very professional and kind if you have any concerns or questions.

Interview Questions

• Switches, power topologies, power control, first order high/low pass, converters, power supply, output wave-forms, equations on transfer functions for first order systems (Although I found out they where not suppose to ask equation questions by HR).   Answer Question

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (San Jose, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

1st round was telephonic and 2nd round was on-site. Before the on-site interview, the hiring manager asked to send any past project code for review.

For the telephonic round, they went through my profile and asked questions related to my projects in detail. Before closing, they asked a small programming question in C.
    Before the on-site interview day, the hiring manager asked to send any of my past project code for review.

The on-site interview was one round of C programming interview. After which, the hiring manager had a talk with me about the company and role. Altogether, the experience of the interview process was good and professional.

Interview Questions

• For the telephonic round, write a program in C to implement dynamic multi-dimensional array.
      For the on-site round, they asked simple programming questions in C
      - How to optimize a given sample program
      - Find errors in a sample program
      - Structure memory alignment
      - Given a linked list, sort the nodes into odd and even linked lists.
      Answer Question