ON Semiconductor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 4, 2017

2.9

Power Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Providence, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (Providence, RI) in May 2016.

Interview

First you do a half hour phone session. If good, you go on for a on site interview set. Lots of technical questions and some behavioral. I interviewed with some highly awkward and unprofessional people, along with a few good ones (Hiring manager included). One guy seemed like he was trying to stump me, bad attitude, abrupt, insulting and was very rude about my work, my thesis, etc. He also brought up borderline "illegal" questions that you should never ask anyone at the interview (actually a few of them did this).

Most 1:1 interviews was just tech question after tech question with no look at my work, background or questions on who I am. They didnt care about much of me, only if I could answer a lot of technical questions and if I fitted in with them politically.

Hiring manager was very kind, but seemed like he doesn't have enough say to keep people he likes. I did very well I thought, but since I didnt remember equations off the top of my head, especially after feeling extremely anxious being consistently and uncomfortably grilled (the guy said he was trying to stump me), I was suddenly labeled as I didnt know my stuff according to hiring manager when I talked to him after I was given a email decision by HR. I did however told him he forgot a negative once I did remember the equation, which he responded: well, I guess you are right, after he tried to prove me wrong....just bad.

HR is kind, and the other folks are nice. Its a cubical farm with bad lighting, so I am not that disappointed, however I dont like being told I dont know my material if I cannot remember an non-typical equation that I dont use daily. HR being located in a different time zone and disconnected from opposite coast does not help this process, but they are very professional and kind if you have any concerns or questions.

Interview Questions

• Switches, power topologies, power control, first order high/low pass, converters, power supply, output wave-forms, equations on transfer functions for first order systems (Although I found out they where not suppose to ask equation questions by HR).   Answer Question

Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (San Jose, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

1st round was telephonic and 2nd round was on-site. Before the on-site interview, the hiring manager asked to send any past project code for review.

For the telephonic round, they went through my profile and asked questions related to my projects in detail. Before closing, they asked a small programming question in C.
    Before the on-site interview day, the hiring manager asked to send any of my past project code for review.

The on-site interview was one round of C programming interview. After which, the hiring manager had a talk with me about the company and role. Altogether, the experience of the interview process was good and professional.

Interview Questions

• For the telephonic round, write a program in C to implement dynamic multi-dimensional array.
      For the on-site round, they asked simple programming questions in C
      - How to optimize a given sample program
      - Find errors in a sample program
      - Structure memory alignment
      - Given a linked list, sort the nodes into odd and even linked lists.
      Answer Question

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

pretty informal and warm people. the interview wasn't very tough and since I was already did my technical homework about their products, it went better than what they expected. the team (who I eventually worked with) has been supportive in teaching me and guiding me like i hoped.

Interview Questions

• asked if i knew how a typical product that the team works on behaves under different electrical conditions   Answer Question

Junior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online via the company's website and by emailing a cover letter and resume to regional recruiter. Then had two 30 minute interviews with two senior level employees in Finance.

Test Maintenance Inter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pocatello, ID

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (Pocatello, ID) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied, they called me a couple weeks later and set up a phone interview. After the interview, they called me about a week later to inform me that they had selected me for the position.

Interview Questions

• What are you studying? What do you know about various electronics and components?   Answer Question

Compliance & Ethics Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (Phoenix, AZ) in February 2016.

Interview

After applying, I was contacted by a recruiter from the HR department who set up and conducted a 30-minute telephone interview. The questions mostly focused on my resume and my expectations for the positions. I was invited on-site to participate in three 45-minute interviews - one with the same recruiter and two with representatives from the Corporate Legal team. Interviewers were cordial and were able to answer my questions. Several questions were about my ability to handle potential job responsibilities, but I wouldn't qualify any of the questions as "quiz" or skill-based questions. I was informed via telephone a few days after the interview that the company would not be extending an offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you assist other compliance-assigned professionals in fulfilling their obligations?   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Corvallis, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (Corvallis, OR) in February 2016.

Interview

Went to through MECOP and never once did the compandy rep interview me. An ON Semiconductor employee was present in my interview panel but I never made conversation with him.

ETest Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pocatello, ID

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (Pocatello, ID) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview lasted about 8 hours. Started with a 60 minute presentation with a project that I worked on in the past. Spent 40 minutes with the presentation and 20 minutes with questions. After I broke away and had 5 one on one interviews. After the first two one on one interviews I went to lunch the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Device physics and how a transistor works. Draw and explain.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor in November 2015.

Interview

I applied for this internship of semiconductor device characterization (R&D) online. Two month later, an HR emailed me and set up a phone interview for me with hiring manager. The hiring manager called me two days later. He introduced his group and this intern position first, then asked me some questions about my background and current research (I'm a PhD student). And he also let me ask him several questions about this intern. He told me there will be no onsite interview for interns and they will decide after phone screen. I was rejected because my research background does not match this job very much.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about your current research. What's your ideal job after graduation?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ON Semiconductor (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Initially there was a phone interview with my primary boss. Then I was brought on site and interviewed with the HR department. Afterwards I was interview in person by my primary boss. Afterward I was interviewed by a secondary boss.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the aspects of engineering to you appreciate?   1 Answer