OTIS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at OTIS

2.8

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at OTIS (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Interviewed with 2 senior managers. It was a nice conversation and everything indicated the interview went well. In the end, I suppose they didnt think I was the right fit. I didnt receive a response after I sent emails thanking them for their time, etc. That's how I figured it wasn't going to work out.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at OTIS (Washington, DC) in November 2007.

Interview

My first interview with Otis, to join the company, was 1993. The last interview process was in 2000, when I was transferring from one office to a higher position in another office. During my time there Otis seemed to hire one of two types for their Account Manager positions. Either business school graduates (MBA) or people who had experience in elevator sales from other elevator companies. Rarely did I see candidates come, and succeed from any other backgrounds.

I entered from a MBA program so the process involved, interviewing, at my university, for a summer internship, then later interviewing for a position with the company. Ultimately Otis is about sales and new hires who wish to advance, need to spend time in the local offices where the sales are generated.

Typically, candidates will be brought in for a day or two of interviewing at the local office where there is an opening. This will have followed a phone interview with the location manager, and HR manager, and maybe the regional GM. Usually this takes a day, but in larger metro areas there may be several offices in close proximity and multiple positions available. In this case you may spend two days and visit several offices.

On the interview day, the local office will have scheduled anywhere from 4 to 6 meetings/interviews for the candidate. These would include: the Location Manager, Sales Manager, Superintendent, Manager of the department with the opening, HR manager for that area, one or two sales reps from the department and possibly the Regional GM. Basically they try to have everyone on the team have a look at the candidate. There may be fewer interviews at smaller offices.

Typically, the interviews will last 30 minutes to an hour. You will probably attend lunch with several of the people you have spoken to during the day. If things are going well, you may also have dinner with someone from the office, if you are coming from out of town to interview. Depending on schedules, the candidate may be taken on a tour of the area, or ride along with one of the other sales reps.

Generally, the questions are standard fare, and you will have it down pat, by the 4th interview. They want to know your history, your education, your knowledge of the product, sales, and how you get along with people. Probably, above all they want to see, how you handle and interact with people; both potential customers and the Otis team. Nothing happens successfully in Otis without the efforts of a team players; sales reps. mechanics, superintendents, engineers, corporate support, etc. so it is important that the candidate be able to work in this environment.

One challenge to candidates with strictly white collar backgrounds, is the field component of Otis. Sales reps work along with a blue collar workforce of technicians and superintendents that do the actual hands on installation and maintenance of the elevators. You will find that the most direct and in your face interviews will come from the Superintendent. They do not mince words and are not too interested in political correctness. They want to know if you are capable, a team player and can be trusted to do what you say. If you do not have your superintendent's respect, (they don't have to love you) you will not be very successful at Otis.

By the end of the day, you will have a good feel for where you stand. You may have an offer, but that typically comes a few days following your interview; after all the team members have had a chance to share their impressions of the candidate.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle or work with difficult team members of personalities?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Have a clear idea of what you have to have and do as much research as possible, about what the position offers. There were set ranges of salary for each position. There may be some wiggle room regarding relocation expenses. One must remember that Otis is a large corporation with standard policies and procedures.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OTIS (Milwaukee, WI) in March 2012.

Interview

The process was fairly simple and straightforward, seems like the interviewer was looking for personality fit more than experience. Work ethic and dependability strengths were assessed. Interviewed with one person and second interview with two people, second one was the supervisor I would have.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   1 Answer
    • What value do you see yourself adding to our company?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They made and offer and I made a counter offer, which they accepted. I was able to get a higher starting salary.

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at OTIS (Atlanta, GA) in June 2016.

Interview

Interview was coordinated through Lucas Group Executive recruiter. HR and management reps from Otis were very approachable during the process and were not trying to add to the overall stress but focused on determining candidate skills and fit for both the role and the company. HR was timely with follow up phone contacts and responses to queries on the way ahead were prompt. Very professional experience.

Interview Questions

• How does your experience specifically qualify you for this role?   Answer Question

Technical Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Blacksburg, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at OTIS (Blacksburg, VA) in September 2015.

Interview

One time interview at my campus. It was a one on one interview with the regional manager. He let me choose where i wanted to work for the summer (if it was available) and was a really great guy. He ended up getting promoted by the time i started so never really kept in touch with him as I started the internship

Interview Questions

• What exeperice have you had with customer service   1 Answer

Technical Sales Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at OTIS in September 2014.

Interview

I met with the Otis Elevator representatives at my schools career fair. After having a great conversation with one of the head sales men, he asked me if I would like to have an interview the following day. The next day I had the interview and it was mainly asking about myself and why I wanted to get into sales. He told me more about the position, the company, and answered all the questions that I had. I thought the interview went really well, the interviewer seemed very interested but the following day I was notified that I had not moved on to the next round.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to convince a group of people to change their mind and follow your lead   Answer Question

Senior Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Florence, SC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at OTIS (Florence, SC) in June 2015.

Interview

- HR Phone Screen
    - Interview with Hiring Manager
    - Onsite Interview with all of the Senior Managers.

All of the interactions went very well and I had positive feedback while in the interview. The company is definitely going through a revival and has a lot of work to do but the products were impressive and the people passionate about the work. Upon leaving I had high hopes of an offer but was given the feedback that I am not qualified for the job and they wanted someone with more experience. This is a HUGE miss on their part. My resume/CV clearly outlined my experience and there was complete transparency both on my resume and in person. Then to get the feedback that I did not have enough experience indicates to me that they did not even view my resume before asking me to come in for an interview. In addition, I am still waiting after 5 weeks for the reimbursement for my travel expenses.

The hiring manager was very nice and got me connected with others in the company but all of the jobs I have been approached with 2-5yr experience engineering jobs and I have that much experience being an engineering manager not to mention my decade of experience as a individual contributor (engineer).

Finance Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at OTIS.

Interview

Got the interview through a staffing agency. 30 minute interview with one person; very typical process and interview questions asked. Heard back about the decision quickly (within several days).

Sales Trainee Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at OTIS.

Interview

On campus interview followed by panel interview (3 rounds/2 interviewers) and 5 minute presentation at headquarters. Interviewers were really friendly and encouraging. The presentation is short - they just want to determine your presentation skills.

Sales Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at OTIS (Houston, TX) in October 2018.

Interview

I got recruited from an on-campus job fair. I did an over the phone interview that was very casual and then invited to their "super day" in Houston. Most of the interviews (there were 6 in total) were average questions you would get anywhere. Strengths, weaknesses, leadership experience, etc. One interviewer was pretty hard with the "tell me why we should hire you" type questions. It's important to them that you are serious about them as a company. They all will ask what you know about Otis.