Oakland Unified School District Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Oakland Unified School District Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2017

2.0

IT Department Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oakland Unified School District.

Interview

Half hour in-person interview with a panel of 4 people. Showed up and they were running behind so I sat waiting for almost half an hour. I was asked very few questions, but to be fair interviews for government jobs (especially union positions) have much different processes and requirements for hiring. Withdrew from the process before it progressed.

Interview Questions

• Interestingly, I was asked just ONE question to test my technical expertise during an interview for a highly technical role in the technology department. The rest were generic interview questions about dealing with difficult high pressure situations, interacting with peers, why I want to work there, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Oakland Unified School District (Oakland, CA).

Interview

Had a weird interview where not many questions were asked, so I figured they'd already selected a candidate and went through with my interview anyways. A couple days later, they told me they had, so I thanked them and moved on, only to see the job reposted a couple days later. Ouch.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to violent behavior from a student?   Answer Question

Elementary Music Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Oakland Unified School District (Oakland, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

A telephone interview leads to an in-person interview, which leads to a sample class and a follow-up interview. That process is pretty standard for getting a teaching gig. I had experience working with elementary school age students, so it was not that big of a deal to prepare. I was also interviewing the Principal. Teaching any art requires administrative support and music is a place where students can really act up. Without a realistic conversation about how the school handles discipline issues, it is pointless to take a job in OUSD, as the behavior issues with over shadow any hopes you may have of creating a successful program. Too often, the schools and principals neglect to back up the enrichment teachers, which leads to so many problems and stress. I did not find that the schools I was interviewed in were being realistic about classroom management and school culture.

Interview Questions

• How do you create classroom culture? This is the type of question in which the administration is trying to ascertain that yu can handle a classroom of up to 34 Oakland children. The are trying to find out how you handle classroom expectations and protocols. This is a difficult thing to answer because even though you may say all the right things, the administration knows what you can really expect and does not willfully inform you of the realities a prep teacher will face. The questions keep coming about 'culturally appropriate' teaching and lowering your expectations, while at the same time they are trying to sell you and taking the job because they are desperate and there are not too many competent prospects.   1 Answer

Special Education Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Oakland Unified School District (Oakland, CA).

Interview

First there was a lesson sample in a group and a bunch of review questions about the lesson with one individual interviewer. Like many teaching interviews, they are much more concerned with your review of your lesson than the actual lesson itself. Later there were a few questions with the spec. ed. coordinator.

Interview Questions

• Do you think all students can succeed at high levels?   3 Answers

Negotiation

There is no negotiation phase

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Oakland Unified School District (Oakland, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

It was a simple interview, mostly meeting the principal after submitting my resume on Edjoin. It is important to be trained in Balanced Literacy and prepared to meet the needs of an inner-city classroom socially and emotionally. Important to understand that you will be a leader in multiple capacities.

Interview Questions

• Do you know balanced literacy?

Do you feel like you are able to work with children with behavioral issues?

Are you willing to undergo training?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, fixed public salary based on your experience/ credentials.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oakland Unified School District in August 2013.

Interview

I wasn't directly hired through OUSD. Teach For America hired me, then placed me in Oakland. I got a call from a new principal and he hired me over the phone! Very simple. Very direct. Very desperate.

Negotiation

Nope

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oakland Unified School District.

Interview

Application is via edjoin. If you are selected you go through a phone screening or 3 references. The Principal or regional manager (if you are applying for a Principal job), interviews you. If you are selected, HR will get the recommendation. Once that happens HR will further check your credentials, and other paperwork....fingerprints, degrees, etc. Each interview is different, due to different sites, but the process is the same.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions. You most likely will be asked how to use data to improve schools, parent/community engagement, discipline , philosophy of education   Answer Question

Negotiation

You are place on a salary scale

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Oakland Unified School District (Oakland, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

I felt informed throughout the process. Each step of the interview was explained and the interviewers were warm and welcoming. The first step was a phone screening that focused mainly on behavioral questions. The second step was an in-person interview that focused more on technical skills.

Interview Questions

• Give some examples of how you have used data in the past to answer questions or solve problems.   Answer Question

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oakland Unified School District (Oakland, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

Brief interview then waited four weeks to get hired. I took a box of donuts in and the finished the process the same day. This is in spite of the fact they had an open position waiting for me.

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Oakland Unified School District (Oakland, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

I was a part of a program, Teach Tomorrow in Oakland, that specialized in bringing qualified people of color to teach in the Oakland School District. We went to an event that was, essentially, an interview fair.