Oaktree Capital Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 18, 2017

3.4

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

The process to arrive at an interview took about four weeks in total. The interview was extremely well-organized and happened over several rounds in one day. Each round was conducted by one to two employees of varying levels of seniority. The format gave me the impression that an offer would be contingent upon a unanimous "yes", or popular vote at the very least. This made it very nerve racking. The questions were characteristic of a typical interview, but there was a direct and somewhat sterile quality that lacked warmth. I noticed that it never felt like a natural conversation. It was a Q&A session from beginning to end. Everyone was polite and seemed very nice, although I did not notice the would-be report-to smile even once. There were a few instances where I was nervous and caught myself giving vague, people-pleaser answers. I was definitely most comfortable while interviewing with the more junior members who were newer to the company. They seemed to have a more genuine interest in me. I can usually get a read on people and their reactions quite well, but I left feeling like I was in the gray. I do consider this a positive experience because I took away a valuable lesson: it's better to take a risk in being yourself than to play it safe by mirroring a perceived standard.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company?   1 Answer

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Very thorough with multiple days and several people. Everyone was friendly and professional. The offices were well polished, lot's of glass, open door policy kind of vibe. Each day I went in, I would sit in an office - also glass - so you would see and people would see you as they walked by - and wait for interviewers to come and go. This puts you in the spotlight. Be sure to casually smile at each person as they go by. You never know one might be interviewing you next. The questions were standard issue. No big curveballs. Again, friendly dialogue. As you go up the chain, obviously more pointed about the who and what of your career. Company is keen on solving problems in innovative ways.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where a problem existed that required a novel approach, and how did you solve it.   Answer Question

Interview

In-person interview at Oaktree headquarters downtown; met with three members of the team and the hiring manager. Very professional atmosphere, likable people, seems like an awesome place to work. I had consecutive 30-min interviews with an Associate, a Sr. Associate, and a VP. Follow-up chat with the HR person. There seemed to be a good mix of personality types, but each of the interviewers was easy to get along with.

Interview Questions

• Nothing particularly difficult or unexpected. It was more of a "fit" interview as the position was entry-level.   Answer Question

Proposal Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital.

Interview

I learned about this job through a friend of mine. Got a phone interview which didn't go well - HR said "we need someone with finance experience," even though this is a marketing job, not finance. My contact complained and I got an in-person interview. It was all day - 9 am to 3 pm with no breaks - meeting with 8 people and taking 2 hours worth of "tests" - writing, analysis, etc. After all that, got a call from HR saying "we need someone with finance experience."

Interview Questions

• The 2 hours of tests, which one could truly only "ace" if they had already worked for Oaktree before.   Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Interview process was simple. One phone interview with HR, one phone interview with department Managing Director and then a full day of in person interviews with various people in the department.

Interview Questions

• No particuarlly difficult questions. The standard "name a weakness you have" is always tricky.   Answer Question

Proposal Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I heard of the open position through a friend who works there. I first had a phone interview with an HR specialist. The interview went fine - basically she went over my experience - and at the end said "Well just so you know you probably won't move on as they probably want someone with investment management experience." I thought this was odd bc my friend told me specifically that that was not a requirement, plus it was not a requirement in the job posting. And anyone could see from my res that I hadn't worked at a similar firm before. I got called in for interviews anyway - I think my friend pulled some strings. I was at the office from 9:30 am til 2:30 pm and met with 5 people. I also had to prepare a "case study," which apparently is common at Oaktree. This was a 90 minute "test" in which I had write 2 essays - 1 describing how analysts choose companies to invest in, 1 describing a dept at the firm. They gave me supporting materials to use, but it was very bizarre - I wasn't sure if they were testing my writing, my knowledge of the firm, or both. The next week I got a call from the same HR specialist saying that they weren't selecting me bc of my lack of investment firm experience, and bc they didn't think I would catch on quick enough. I don't know why they would say this - they didn't ask me any questions really about what I knew of investment management except in the case study, so perhaps I bombed that (I don't think I did). Or perhaps I was never seriously being considered bc I didn't have the necessary experience, and this was all a favor to my friend. If so, there was no need to waste my whole day for that! Overall a bizarre experience that cast the company in a bad light in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• The case study, in which I had 90 minutes to write 2 essays describing 2 different aspects of the firm using provided materials.   Answer Question

Vice President Client Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

I had multiple rounds of interviews over the phone and one in-person interview day. The interview day was with four interviewers and a 1 hour case study. Lunch and a laptop was provided for the case study.

Interview Questions

• Case study of operational issue   1 Answer

PAR Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

I started by submitting a resume online, then they got back to me within a few days to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty typical - they asked about my resume and experience, and what I wanted to do. Soon after, they contacted me again for an in-person interview.

At the in-person interview, I spoke with a few people that I would have been working with. It was very laid back and casual, nothing intense, and everyone seemed nice.

They called back saying they "moved forward with another candidate" (typical corporate language), but that they had another Analyst position for a different team that they thought I'd be a better fit for. So, another interview was scheduled, and it was much like the first - met with a few people I'd be working with, and everyone seemed nice. For the record, both of these first in-person interviews were about 2 hours, talking to 4 people for 30 minutes each.

Got called back for a final interview, this time scheduled for about 3 hours with 6 different people. A few of these people were in completely different departments and had nothing to do with the job I was interviewing for (and they even admitted this with a bit of confusion). Also, at one point, I was waiting for about 30 minutes between interviewers - it seemed someone forgot I was there. I was surprised, because up to this point, Oaktree had been pretty organized and focused, but this final interview seemed very fragmented and lazy.

When I finally spoke to the hiring manager at the end of the process (who I had already spoken to in the first interview), he gave me a verbal offer - it seemed abrupt, yet appropriate, given the urgency of the role that was needed. I left the final interview with a smile, and thought my job hunt was over.

But I was wrong - even though I received a verbal offer, Oaktree went silent for 2 weeks, then finally called me and told me they "moved forward with another candidate." More corporate speak, but this time with 10x the disappointment. Why would you verbally offer someone a job, then not follow through?

An Human Resources Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

I heard about this position through an agency's website. First I had a phone interview with them. During the interview, the agency recruiter asked me the year I graduated from college. As we all know, this is a (age) discriminatory question. By the way, my resume indicated that I had 10 years experience at the same company. As an experienced HR professional, I asked him the relevancy of this question to the job I applied for. He said his client (Oaktree Capital) wants to know. I politely declined to answer. The agency recruiter said Oaktree gives bonuses. I asked him how the bonus structure was, he said no structure, they just give $10K. ? After the phone interview, he sent me an e-mail and asked what my GPA was. I still don't understand the relationship between my GPA and the Recruiter position I applied for.

Few days later, on Wednesday, I had a phone interview with their VP of HR at Oaktree. It took 1.5 hours which I didn't mind but I wish all the questions she had asked were related to my skills rather than my previous company's information. She asked me who reports to whom; she asked confidential information such as the turnover % of my previous company; she asked each HR person's responsibility at my previous job. One point she even criticized of my previous HR Director reporting to the Managing Director of the Business Unit, instead of reporting to a Regional HR or VP of HR. The other thing bothered me was that even though she was at a VP level and English was her first language (unlike me), she was not very articulate. Her sentences were incomplete. She sounded like she was not prepared for the interview.

Few days after the phone interview with Oaktree, the agency recruiter called me and said the client decided not to pursue my application because I do not possess financial recruitment experience. Well, they knew that at the beginning, my resume indicated it...

Overall, it was a very unusual and interesting experience for me. I am glad they did not pursue my application. One more time, I felt that I am a better Recruiter than many people out there.

Interview Questions

• Asking the year I graduated from college and my average GPA despite of my 10 years of solid experience.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

I was offered a phone interview through a recruiter, which went well. I think my experience suited the role I was interviewing for. I went in for 1.5 days total, which consisted of speaking to about 10 different people, about 60% of the interviews were conducted over video conference, which was new to me. They fed me lunch both days and at the end, had me complete a case study, which analyzed an investment team's decision making process and use of a proprietary tool as well as a brief call to ask questions to a client services representative and describe the client service process.

Interview Questions

• All standard questions, nothing terribly complicated. Most questions related to my background or how I handle situations.   Answer Question