Oaktree Capital Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Oaktree Capital Interview Questions

Updated Dec 22, 2017

3.5

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital.

Interview

In person, through recruiter. It was a pleasant process. Interviewers and questions were tough, but overall it was a positive experience. Be prepared to answer tough questions and be honest. Oaktree is a top firm and you should prepare well for the interview.

PARR Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital.

Interview

Phone interview and remote excel test. Then in person interview. For in person, met with several people, with 2 asking accounting questions. Both seemed arrogant and condescending, with the others very nice and pleasant

Analyst - Portfolio Analytics Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Interview consisted of an interview with HR, then an interview over the phone and two more in-person interviews. I only made it to the first in-person interview. A lot of personality fit questions but also math and bond questions. The interview ended with an excel test of v-lookup, SUMIF, print directions etc.

Interview Questions

• What is the payment on a bond if it is paid semi-annually and a 7% coupon?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

The process to arrive at an interview took about four weeks in total. The interview was extremely well-organized and happened over several rounds in one day. Each round was conducted by one to two employees of varying levels of seniority. The format gave me the impression that an offer would be contingent upon a unanimous "yes", or popular vote at the very least. This made it very nerve racking. The questions were characteristic of a typical interview, but there was a direct and somewhat sterile quality that lacked warmth. I noticed that it never felt like a natural conversation. It was a Q&A session from beginning to end. Everyone was polite and seemed very nice, although I did not notice the would-be report-to smile even once. There were a few instances where I was nervous and caught myself giving vague, people-pleaser answers. I was definitely most comfortable while interviewing with the more junior members who were newer to the company. They seemed to have a more genuine interest in me. I can usually get a read on people and their reactions quite well, but I left feeling like I was in the gray. I do consider this a positive experience because I took away a valuable lesson: it's better to take a risk in being yourself than to play it safe by mirroring a perceived standard.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company?   1 Answer

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Very thorough with multiple days and several people. Everyone was friendly and professional. The offices were well polished, lot's of glass, open door policy kind of vibe. Each day I went in, I would sit in an office - also glass - so you would see and people would see you as they walked by - and wait for interviewers to come and go. This puts you in the spotlight. Be sure to casually smile at each person as they go by. You never know one might be interviewing you next. The questions were standard issue. No big curveballs. Again, friendly dialogue. As you go up the chain, obviously more pointed about the who and what of your career. Company is keen on solving problems in innovative ways.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where a problem existed that required a novel approach, and how did you solve it.   Answer Question

Interview

In-person interview at Oaktree headquarters downtown; met with three members of the team and the hiring manager. Very professional atmosphere, likable people, seems like an awesome place to work. I had consecutive 30-min interviews with an Associate, a Sr. Associate, and a VP. Follow-up chat with the HR person. There seemed to be a good mix of personality types, but each of the interviewers was easy to get along with.

Interview Questions

• Nothing particularly difficult or unexpected. It was more of a "fit" interview as the position was entry-level.   Answer Question

Proposal Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital.

Interview

I learned about this job through a friend of mine. Got a phone interview which didn't go well - HR said "we need someone with finance experience," even though this is a marketing job, not finance. My contact complained and I got an in-person interview. It was all day - 9 am to 3 pm with no breaks - meeting with 8 people and taking 2 hours worth of "tests" - writing, analysis, etc. After all that, got a call from HR saying "we need someone with finance experience."

Interview Questions

• The 2 hours of tests, which one could truly only "ace" if they had already worked for Oaktree before.   Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Interview process was simple. One phone interview with HR, one phone interview with department Managing Director and then a full day of in person interviews with various people in the department.

Interview Questions

• No particuarlly difficult questions. The standard "name a weakness you have" is always tricky.   Answer Question

Proposal Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I heard of the open position through a friend who works there. I first had a phone interview with an HR specialist. The interview went fine - basically she went over my experience - and at the end said "Well just so you know you probably won't move on as they probably want someone with investment management experience." I thought this was odd bc my friend told me specifically that that was not a requirement, plus it was not a requirement in the job posting. And anyone could see from my res that I hadn't worked at a similar firm before. I got called in for interviews anyway - I think my friend pulled some strings. I was at the office from 9:30 am til 2:30 pm and met with 5 people. I also had to prepare a "case study," which apparently is common at Oaktree. This was a 90 minute "test" in which I had write 2 essays - 1 describing how analysts choose companies to invest in, 1 describing a dept at the firm. They gave me supporting materials to use, but it was very bizarre - I wasn't sure if they were testing my writing, my knowledge of the firm, or both. The next week I got a call from the same HR specialist saying that they weren't selecting me bc of my lack of investment firm experience, and bc they didn't think I would catch on quick enough. I don't know why they would say this - they didn't ask me any questions really about what I knew of investment management except in the case study, so perhaps I bombed that (I don't think I did). Or perhaps I was never seriously being considered bc I didn't have the necessary experience, and this was all a favor to my friend. If so, there was no need to waste my whole day for that! Overall a bizarre experience that cast the company in a bad light in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• The case study, in which I had 90 minutes to write 2 essays describing 2 different aspects of the firm using provided materials.   Answer Question

Vice President Client Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

I had multiple rounds of interviews over the phone and one in-person interview day. The interview day was with four interviewers and a 1 hour case study. Lunch and a laptop was provided for the case study.

Interview Questions

• Case study of operational issue   1 Answer