Oaktree Capital Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Oaktree Capital Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2017

3.4

Interview

In-person interview at Oaktree headquarters downtown; met with three members of the team and the hiring manager. Very professional atmosphere, likable people, seems like an awesome place to work. I had consecutive 30-min interviews with an Associate, a Sr. Associate, and a VP. Follow-up chat with the HR person. There seemed to be a good mix of personality types, but each of the interviewers was easy to get along with.

Interview Questions

• Nothing particularly difficult or unexpected. It was more of a "fit" interview as the position was entry-level.   Answer Question

Alumni Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital in April 2009.

Interview

Through a colleague was ref. to the Pepperdine Univ.. The meeting with the hiring manager was done over lunch. The meeting lasted 1 1/2. The meeting was very productive -- I liked the hiring manager and I really liked the program he devised .

Marketing Operation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

I was given a test, then I was interviewed by my direct boss, then her boss, then one of my coworker, then the recruiter to wrap up. Just general behavior questions. Go to the company's website to read about its history. Do some exel study on youtube before the test. I was even late for the interview but i did great on the excel test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Done by agent.

Was Unsure Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital in October 2009.

Interview

The interview process was long and they seemed a bit unsure for what role they wanted to hire me for. I must have gone through 10-12 people. It was surprising also since the position that I was applying for stated a certain title, while when I started interviewing it was another. The people were bright there, but I thought for a non-executive (non-officer) position the process was a bit long.

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital in January 2008.

Interview

The interview was held with a panel of people. Basic questions were asked, such as tell me about yourself, strengths and weaknesses. The interviewers were interested in hearing my real work experiences and how I related examples to the questions that were asked of me. All interviewers were very professional and polite. It was an overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Ask for more vacation time than the standard two weeks. I've heard that others have been able to negotiate an additional week.

An Human Resources Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

I heard about this position through an agency's website. First I had a phone interview with them. During the interview, the agency recruiter asked me the year I graduated from college. As we all know, this is a (age) discriminatory question. By the way, my resume indicated that I had 10 years experience at the same company. As an experienced HR professional, I asked him the relevancy of this question to the job I applied for. He said his client (Oaktree Capital) wants to know. I politely declined to answer. The agency recruiter said Oaktree gives bonuses. I asked him how the bonus structure was, he said no structure, they just give $10K. ? After the phone interview, he sent me an e-mail and asked what my GPA was. I still don't understand the relationship between my GPA and the Recruiter position I applied for.

Few days later, on Wednesday, I had a phone interview with their VP of HR at Oaktree. It took 1.5 hours which I didn't mind but I wish all the questions she had asked were related to my skills rather than my previous company's information. She asked me who reports to whom; she asked confidential information such as the turnover % of my previous company; she asked each HR person's responsibility at my previous job. One point she even criticized of my previous HR Director reporting to the Managing Director of the Business Unit, instead of reporting to a Regional HR or VP of HR. The other thing bothered me was that even though she was at a VP level and English was her first language (unlike me), she was not very articulate. Her sentences were incomplete. She sounded like she was not prepared for the interview.

Few days after the phone interview with Oaktree, the agency recruiter called me and said the client decided not to pursue my application because I do not possess financial recruitment experience. Well, they knew that at the beginning, my resume indicated it...

Overall, it was a very unusual and interesting experience for me. I am glad they did not pursue my application. One more time, I felt that I am a better Recruiter than many people out there.

Interview Questions

• Asking the year I graduated from college and my average GPA despite of my 10 years of solid experience.   Answer Question

PAR Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

I started by submitting a resume online, then they got back to me within a few days to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty typical - they asked about my resume and experience, and what I wanted to do. Soon after, they contacted me again for an in-person interview.

At the in-person interview, I spoke with a few people that I would have been working with. It was very laid back and casual, nothing intense, and everyone seemed nice.

They called back saying they "moved forward with another candidate" (typical corporate language), but that they had another Analyst position for a different team that they thought I'd be a better fit for. So, another interview was scheduled, and it was much like the first - met with a few people I'd be working with, and everyone seemed nice. For the record, both of these first in-person interviews were about 2 hours, talking to 4 people for 30 minutes each.

Got called back for a final interview, this time scheduled for about 3 hours with 6 different people. A few of these people were in completely different departments and had nothing to do with the job I was interviewing for (and they even admitted this with a bit of confusion). Also, at one point, I was waiting for about 30 minutes between interviewers - it seemed someone forgot I was there. I was surprised, because up to this point, Oaktree had been pretty organized and focused, but this final interview seemed very fragmented and lazy.

When I finally spoke to the hiring manager at the end of the process (who I had already spoken to in the first interview), he gave me a verbal offer - it seemed abrupt, yet appropriate, given the urgency of the role that was needed. I left the final interview with a smile, and thought my job hunt was over.

But I was wrong - even though I received a verbal offer, Oaktree went silent for 2 weeks, then finally called me and told me they "moved forward with another candidate." More corporate speak, but this time with 10x the disappointment. Why would you verbally offer someone a job, then not follow through?

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Interview process was simple. One phone interview with HR, one phone interview with department Managing Director and then a full day of in person interviews with various people in the department.

Interview Questions

• No particuarlly difficult questions. The standard "name a weakness you have" is always tricky.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital.

Interview

applied through an employee referral. They contacted me after a couple of days to schedule a telephone interview, interviewer was very friendly and asked a mix of fit and technical questions. They contacted me after about 2 weeks and informed that I didn't get the job mainly due to lack of experience.

Interview Questions

• What happens to the financial statements if 10mn of depreciation is not included   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Oaktree Capital (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

The process to arrive at an interview took about four weeks in total. The interview was extremely well-organized and happened over several rounds in one day. Each round was conducted by one to two employees of varying levels of seniority. The format gave me the impression that an offer would be contingent upon a unanimous "yes", or popular vote at the very least. This made it very nerve racking. The questions were characteristic of a typical interview, but there was a direct and somewhat sterile quality that lacked warmth. I noticed that it never felt like a natural conversation. It was a Q&A session from beginning to end. Everyone was polite and seemed very nice, although I did not notice the would-be report-to smile even once. There were a few instances where I was nervous and caught myself giving vague, people-pleaser answers. I was definitely most comfortable while interviewing with the more junior members who were newer to the company. They seemed to have a more genuine interest in me. I can usually get a read on people and their reactions quite well, but I left feeling like I was in the gray. I do consider this a positive experience because I took away a valuable lesson: it's better to take a risk in being yourself than to play it safe by mirroring a perceived standard.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company?   1 Answer