Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt (Alexandria, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process consisted of this: a telephone call, whereby you are told that you have all the qualities that they are seeking for the position. You then receive a confirmation e-mail containing a number of disclosure forms which you are asked to sign. When you arrive on the premises, in which the HR coordinator arrives 15 minutes late, you are quickly whisked away to a small testing center where a computerized test is administered.

Interview Questions

• There are no questions. You are administered a computerized test with softball questions relating to the use of Microsoft office software. No inquiries concerning any of the legal software that they may or may not be using, no STAR questions here.   Answer Question

Patent Prosecution Legal Assistant Interview

Application

Interview

I do NOT have the kindest of words to say with regards to the hiring process at Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt, L.L.P..

I hope that the H.R. department at this multi-national Intellectual Property can take my reviews and comments as constructive feedback on how to further improve their serious lack of competency and professionalism.

I had an interview with the recruiter for 9:00 AM. There was a lack of energy and enthusiasm at the Office; not the gregarious type nor the altruistic type that I find would be sufficient to work in H.R.

First thing, without a "Hello, how are you?" with a summary of the itinerary for the day, I am ushered into a tiny room with one computer and a few sheets of paper. I'm told, prior to any introduction or basic cordiality usually offered at any other typical job interview, I am told to take a computer test (no explanation of what kind of tests will be administered that day) and to fill a few sheets of Q&A. Unbeknownst me, these tests and Q&A will take almost 1.5 hours to complete, especially if one is a considerate applicant and answer the questions wholeheartedly, with details and clarity. Many of the questionnaires on paper, I feel, should have been administered in a conversation and not on paper; that to me, was the first sign of unprofessionalism and point-blank laziness on the H.R. departments position. After the three-dozen questionnaries asking basic interview questions about experience, skills, weaknesses, strengths, goals, etc., you move on to the testS on the computer, yet again, no disclosure of specifically what types of test will be administered just the basic and mere fact that there are more tests. The tests on the computer are as follow: 1) matching, 2) spelling, 3) grammar, 4) word per minute speed test, and 5) a basic MS Word functionality test.

At this point, once I finished the extensive hand-written and computer tests, it is already passed noon. So in total, three hours from the start and we have yet to begin the actual INTERVIEW where you meet representatives of the H.R. department and the direct supervisor, whom you'll be working intimately with. After I finished the examinations, I am told that, in fact, the recruiter had made a minor error (which was not so minor) and had forgotten to give me another paper test. I'm quickly ushered back into the interview room to finish the remaining paper work while the H.R. representative goes off and disappears. At this point, we were quickly hitting the 4 hour mark (1/2 a days work for a regular full-time employee, like myself, entertaining the idea of a different company and who is employed by an international law firm with a fully competent H.R. staff that are both ambitious and altruistic to current and future employees). After I completed the last and final paper work, basic questions about I.P. laws and patent prosecutorial procedures, I'm once asked to walk back to the main lobby and wait for the H.R. representative to come out, at her own convenience. She lackluster back to the lobby and we proceeded to begin the formal interview process; nothing challenging or no behavioral interview questions. Basic questions about personality style, reasons you applied, and questions you may have. There seems to be a simple and clear lack of enthusiasm and interest on the part of the interviewers; not really interested in being there and nonchalantly entering the formal interview process.

I'll be honest, I almost walked out at the 4.5 hour mark, when I had already dedicated over half a working day to a lackluster, unprofessional, incredulous, and incompetent interview process. Applicants, if the hiring process is terrible, please be wary of what that H.R. process will look like once you are actually employed. An H.R. department is crucial to the well-being of an employee, a lackluster and non-altruistic group of H.R. individuals create for a terrible work environment with no transparency and care for employees, their pay and their benefits (and/or concerns/complaints).

At the 4.5 hour mark of being there, I was visibly uncomfortable and astonish at the lack of professionalism with the individuals administering the interviews. No wonder they have a high turn over rate at their company. Also, learning and talking about the job, there seems to be a big disconnect with the assistants and a knowledge of the OVERALL process with patent prosecution. It appears to be a big function, behind the scene type, of assistants dedicated to one area of patent prosecution which I find to lack basic applicable skills.

Unknown Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt in February 2014.

Interview

Interview appeared to go well but was too general. It was a get to know you type of interview that did not involve any heavy questions on the background.

Summer Associate (Patent Law) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I interviewed at Oblon, McClelland, Maier & Neustadt (Alexandria, VA) in October 2010.

Interview

There were two rounds of interviews, each with about 5 partners and associates. A couple of the interviewers quizzed me on my scientific field (organic chemistry), so you may want to brush up on your technical field, especially if you haven't worked as a patent examiner. It wasn't so much difficult as it was long.

Interview Questions

• The organic chemistry pop quiz was *somewhat* unexpected, but wasn't completely out of left field, and I didn't find it too difficult. The question that gave me the most trouble was whether I could survive in the "shark tank" (handle dealing with other attorneys on a daily basis). Perhaps I got this question because I'm a little soft-spoken and shy.   Answer Question