Ocado Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ocado Interview Questions

Updated Feb 15, 2017

2.6

Graduate Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ocado.

Interview

A bit long-winded application with online application, covering letter, online tests, telephone interview and then invited to an assessment centre. Communication however is excellent, with one person keeping on track of everything and who you can contact with any questions.

CSTM Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Andover, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ocado (Andover, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied for the position advertised online, within 10 days I was contacted and completed a very easy telephone interview. With a face to face interview scheduled for the next day. After a successful face to face interview I was loaded onto a driving assessment the following week. The assessment was a simple drive with a few simple manoeuvres. After finishing this I was again contacted by telephone and offered the job starting 10 days later. Overall a very easy straight forward process. Very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• After delivering the shopping to the customers kitchen you notice a trail of red wine on the cream carpet, what do you do?   1 Answer
    • You arrive at a high rise block of flats and the lift is out of order, what do you do?   1 Answer
    • You are running late, what would you do?   1 Answer

CTSM Ocado Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dartford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ocado (Dartford, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Interview for a delivery driver role (Dartford). Applied for the role, and got a telephone interview the same day. I passed that, was then invited to the depot in Dartford for an interview with the manager.

The interview was very informal, one to one with the manager in a room who just asked questions off a laptop and then he typed down what my answers were. It lasted around 30 minutes.

I will stress they ask you about what you know about Ocado, please please please research before you go to the interview, have about 4 things on your head to say about the company.

You will know if you've passed the interview at the end as the manager will invite you to a driving assessment. I had my driving assessment today (On the Monday).

So I turned up to the depot dressed in comfortable attire that I could drive in. Waiting for around 20 minutes, then the "driving instructor" comes over, introduces themselves and takes you to a separate room.

The instructor then asks a few questions about your license (points etc) you are allowed 3 points. He then checks your license online and then if it's all ok you then get given a hi-viz and you walk to the van.

Once at the van your shown around the outside of the van, told all the width and height restrictions, your also shown the back inside of the van and are explained about the van.

The instructors are very helpful they tell you about how to control the rear over hang etc. Once your happy with everything your then asked to sit in the van.

Get yourself comfortable, you'll go out for roughly a 45 minute drive but are only assessed for the last 20 minutes, so he says...

Your taken for a normal drive, taken down some right roads to see how you navigate the van next to parked cars etc, your then asked to do some manuveres. I was asked to do a parallel park, righr reverse round the corner, bay parking and also took me down a culdesac and asked to get turn the van around and come back out the Same way.

The drive was very easy and relaxed the instructor gives you plenty of help and hints when you need to brush up whilst driving on your cleareance from the cars and speed etc.

After the instructor is happy your then asked to drive back to the depot (he gives you instructions and directions at all times) and then your told you'll find out within 10-15 days if your successful, although my instructor said I should find out within 1 or 2 days.

Please don't worry about the interview it's very informal, and the driving was very easy. I'm only young, never driven a van before only cars, as soon as you sit in you'll adapt straight away. The vans are so easy to manuvere and drive anyone could do it, please don't stress!!

Next step is all the paperwork, uniform, training and bank details etc.

Interview Questions

• You walked in to a customers house with shopping and the bag split spilling red wine over their carpet, what would you do?   1 Answer

Retail Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ocado (Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Online application, Online tests, Phone interview, Assessment Day
    Assessment Day - Ice breaker task - Group exercise was a puzzle, pre-prepared presentation on a new product idea, and individual competency based interview. Then a final interview in the afternoon if you are successful.

Interview Questions

• What do you think you can bring to the company?
      What department do you think you will be best suited to?
      What is your most valuable achievement?

Analytical questions: How money cucumbers a week are sold on average in the UK? How many golf balls on average are in the air at any one time?

Retail Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ocado (Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Online Application, Telephone Interview focused around competency questions and examples of times showing the four employee values, then invited to assessment centre at Hatfield head offices. Assessment centre consists of a group ice breaker, a presentation (pre-prepared), interview and group task. Half of candidates then sent home before a final few progress to final senior manager interview.

Interview Questions

• Given statistical data and asked to calculate items such as how many vans Ocado may have, to show logical thinking.

If you were working on a task for 6 weeks and on the day before the deadline your manger told you your work was incorrect, how would you respond?

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ocado in November 2016.

Interview

First there is an online test. If passed you are invited to a day at their centre in Hatfield. They will give you two tests at the beginning of the day, a logic and a programming test, both on paper. If you pass, they will take you to their warehouse and give you a tour. After that, you will give you two interviews, technical and behavioural. After a few days they phone you to tell you their decision.

CSTM Delivery Driver Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Ocado.

Interview

Asked general scenario based questions. How you have delivered good service. How you deal with difficult situations. Was told they are inflexible in specifying which days I could not work. They work on a 13 week rota which you have to commit to.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you have dealt with a pressurised situation.   1 Answer

Human Resources Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ocado (London, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Very unprofessional approach.

I was asked to travel to the London head office, despite the role being based in the North West, which cost over £125 for which the interviewers didn't even thank me for out of politeness.

I was told this would be reimbursed, but despite chasing this several times, it never materialised, which is very unfair.

Interview Questions

• The questions were for the HR Business Partner role, which is a more senior role and therefore the questions should have been different.

It was evident the interviewers weren't interested and they even made me walk around the internal site to find another building to the one I'd been sent to instead of coming to meet me at the reception as planned.

I would advise anyone against a three stage, two month recruitment process for a HR Advisor role and hope Ocado don't treat everyone in the same way as they did me.

Contact Centre Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Ocado (Hatfield, East of England, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied for the role on Ocado's website on Monday, was phoned an hour later for a brief telephone interview asking why I had applied and for some basic background information. I was then invited to a group interview for the next evening, along with around thirty other candidates. We were made to feel relaxed, and there was generally a casual atmosphere. We were introduced to each other by giving two facts about ourselves, one true, one false, and having to guess which was which.

We were then split into two groups for a written test and a group exercise. The written test was done on our own, and had two parts - proof reading two response e-mails for grammar and spelling errors, and writing our own response e-mail to a complaint. The group task was to decide, in a team, which limited items to take on a desert exhibition. The interviewers observed the teams and made notes.

The next day I was invited to a face-to-face interview for the following day. This involved meeting one of the interviewers again, and answering some pretty standard competency based questions while another individual took notes. The interview was quite relaxed, with a good mixture of serious questions and casual conversation. The only issue to look out for here was that they had to keep to a tight schedule, and time spent casually talking is time that could be spent giving answers. Be prepared to be concise.

I applied for the job on Monday, and was phoned with an offer on Friday. Hard to see how the process could have gone any smoother, i couldn't be happier with the outcome.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Andover, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ocado (Andover, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

First thing was an initial interview which was with the Senior Operations Manager and HR Director. This was quite a straight forward interview and was a two-way process. Their main aim was to establish whether you would be a good fit for the company's culture. There was little 'example based' interview questions.
    If successful, you attend an Assessment Day which consisted of Welcome brief, Overview Presentation, Numeracy / Verbal Reasoning, Site Tour, Group Ex and 2 Interviews. The interviews were with General Manager & HR Director and second interview was with Senior Operations Manager and a Operations Manager.
    These interview questions were slightly more difficult but what you expect for this level of role.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time where you have been in a pressured environment and what you did about it   Answer Question