Occidental Petroleum Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 15, 2017

2.5

Landman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

3 panel interview, HR interview, Went through resume, why I wanted to work at OXY, why should they pick me, what was I most proud of at previous job, what was a failure at previous job

Reservoir Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I had a brief screening phone call and then was called for an in-person interview with the Team Lead, the Division Lead and HR manager. I first met with the Team Lead and Department Head for about 45 minutes where they asked a lot of standard questions with some questions to describe my technical skills in details. The interview with the HR manager was mostly discussion of the benefits and compensation range.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about an accomplishment that you are proud of.   Answer Question

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (College Station, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was not technical at all. We basically just went over my interview and I was asked questions about experience, and classes, etc. It wasn't hard, and was very enjoyable.

Accountant Interview

Interview

I submitted my application and had a phone interview within a day or two. They called me back to set up an interview for the next week. They seemed very eager to fill the position. I met with 3 accounting managers and a director. Then my interview ended with meeting with HR who kind of gives you a personality quiz. I was there for about 3 hours in total. The managers discussed the position and what it entailed and asked general questions about my skills. As I finished up with the director he told me that I had everything they were looking for. However they continued to still interview for a few weeks and got a system generated email saying the position had been filled. It was a bit frustrating because from everyone's comments I really thought I had the job. Also it was difficult trying to get a response from anyone about how the process was going. It also seems that despite what your told or the urgency that they took their time filling the position.

Maintenance Superintendent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Porte, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (La Porte, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online, got a call to do a phone screen with HR person, conducted phone screen, got invitation to do phone interview with hiring manager, conducted phone interview. Got invitation to do an onsite interview, conducted interview with 4 panels of 3 people and the hiring manager. Everything seemed to go smooth, got a call a week later with the hiring manager saying he was making a verbal offer and he was preparing a written offer and he would be back to me in a week per Oxy's policy. After 3 weeks of waiting on Oxy's HR and Hiring Manager and them ignoring my communications and phone calls, got a phone call from hiring manager saying position went to an internal hire and he was "sorry" and he "fumbled" but asked me if I wanted to reinterview for a lesser position.

I have never been treated so poorly by a company as a potential employer, makes you wonder how ethical is this company. I will never consider Oxy for another position.

Interview Questions

• Just asked standard STAR and some basic technical questions, no gotcha questions   Answer Question

Senior Mobile Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

My first interview was a phone interview with the hiring manager, and the a few members of the team. He was very friendly and asked general experience questions based on my resume. He also gave me good insight into the company and expectations of the position. One particular thing he made a point of mentioning a few times is that this position is not a 'head down and code' position, which I will get to later. The rest of the phone interview was with members of the team. They asked about my experience and the usual stuff. It all went very well.

I was selected to come in for a face-to-face interview and meet the team after a week or two. I flew down and met the HR rep for the team for 30 mins. She was very kind and gave me a lot of good information about the benefits, etc. It was a very productive discussion. Then I met the hiring manager in person for 30 mins. It, again, was a very good discussion and very productive. I felt I was a direct fit for the job. He again mentioned that it was a position that was not a 'head down and code' job. So I made sure to mention, and even emphasize, my skill set beyond just coding. My current position and the position at Oxy require a lot of same skills. Organization, communication with non-technical departments, architecting, etc. The last 30 minutes were with two team members. There was a lot of discussion about my current role and skill set. Again I mentioned a bit of my non-development work as well just because this seemed to be an important facet of the role. I left very excited and looking forward to hearing back.

Well, the hiring contact told me everything was great and went very well and I should hear something soon. After a week passed, I contacted him again and he said they were just having trouble sitting down for a meeting to discuss the interview. Then another week, and another, until it had been two months since the interview with no feedback. I was told everything was great and they really liked me. Then, finally, I called one last time and was told that they had offered and hired someone else that day. They said the team had the impression I was some sort of manager and not a hands-on developer. They had been worried about for two months but never thought to ask me, or have another interview for clarity, or anything. It was extremely disappointing as the signals I got from the hiring manager was that this was a job that required more than just development, so I made sure to emphasize I can do the soft side as well, yet I was not offered because I emphasized it enough that it made them wonder. Very strange. My resume is full of current development experience. And none of these concerns were communicated to me during the process. Just a very odd and disappointing process for a position I felt was a great fit for everyone.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone and they all seemed like very good people, but there seemed to be some obvious communication issues.

Interview Questions

• Do you develop with Xamarin Forms?   1 Answer

Chemical Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum in July 2015.

Interview

I applied on-line; received an e-mail to take an in-person pre-employment test. The test consisted of 3 parts: reading comprehension, math, & an about you section. The test was timed, but there was each section is very doable in the allotted time. A couple weeks later I was notified that I received a qualifying score on the test, but did not get invited for a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions

• What percent of total production for the week was accomplished on Thursday? Given a table with production amounts for each day & department.   Answer Question

Risk Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Not convinced that the company is serious about hiring. Several qualified cohorts all interviewed for this role. We shared experiences - all too similar But we were all able to place with other Fortune 100s.

Reporting Mgr seems to not have found the right candidate with the perfect dumb-downed experience or the goal is to just exploit resumes.

Our conclusion...company is not serious.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum.

Interview

I applied through a recruiting event. The only negative thing was that they told me to expect a call, but they never got back to me. I would have appreciated it if they told me I didn't get the internship so I could make other plans.

Interview Questions

• They really just asked about my resume and experience. Nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

On-campus interview only. Had a panel of three people asking me questions for a period of about an hour. I thought that I had done fairly well; unfortunately, I was not given an offer.