Occidental Petroleum Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 30, 2017

2.5

41 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum.

Interview

I spoke to Oxy recruiters at a career fair and applied online through my university career website and Oxy's website. Contacted me through email for an interview at my university. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and was a straight forward behavioral interview, nothing caught me off guard.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (College Station, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview was done at my university campus. Really pleasant interview and easy going interviewer. First he described the role of interns at OXY then he began to ask me a little about myself. Then at the end he asked me a few behavioral questions. Waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest achievement?   1 Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Had an on-campus interview before I was invited to interview on-site. I was not sure that I was going to get an interview since at career fair the recruiter took my resume and only talked to me for 5 minutes before knowing he was done talking. The on-campus interview was regular behavioral questions and I found out I was invited for on-site the following week. During the on-site interview you are given an overview of the site, the chance to talk to a current process engineer, and a tour of the site you are interviewing at. The interview itself was a panel interview, where you go over your resume before they ask specific questions of projects you have done. They look at how you prioritize your work and how you challenge obstacles. Be able to talk very specific about your experiences (ex. what step took the longest? how did you prioritize your planning on this project?).

Data Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Austin, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Extremely personable interviewer who gave me some great advice, but who also let me know that they simply will not hire people with a GPA below 3.0. I understand the policy and we continued talking for a time anyways but it irked me that the interviewer seemed to like me so much and then abruptly had to let me down despite openly disagreeing with that policy because of people like me (GPA just below 3.0 but otherwise great candidate). Isn't there a reason companies hire recruiters? To make hiring decisions that go beyond numeric filters perhaps? Anyways, that kind of irked me (and it seemed to irk the recruiter!). I hope that OXY reconsiders that policy.

To anyone in my position: You are more than a number. Eventually, you will find a company that values you as a whole person and treats you like so.

Interview Questions

• Simple enough stuff, describing past work experience and how it has changed you. Also some straightforward questions about coursework. Had to cut it short but it seemed mostly behavioral.   1 Answer

Chemical Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pedricktown, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Pedricktown, NJ) in April 2017.

Interview

you must take a written test first (not rocket science, then you may get called for an interview,
    I had one of their HR guys from Houston, Plant Manager, Lead operator and Operations manager at the interview. Seemed like square guys

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been asked to do something in a certain way, when you had a better way to do it
      What would you do if you had an issue with a co worker   1 Answer

Landman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

3 panel interview, HR interview, Went through resume, why I wanted to work at OXY, why should they pick me, what was I most proud of at previous job, what was a failure at previous job

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Mainly Behavioral questions. Also some questions in general about the Industry. I was asked about What will it mean for me to work here. Just dress nice and Look Sharp. Also most importantly Be yourself, they aren't looking for a perfectionist.

Reservoir Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I had a brief screening phone call and then was called for an in-person interview with the Team Lead, the Division Lead and HR manager. I first met with the Team Lead and Department Head for about 45 minutes where they asked a lot of standard questions with some questions to describe my technical skills in details. The interview with the HR manager was mostly discussion of the benefits and compensation range.

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (College Station, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was not technical at all. We basically just went over my interview and I was asked questions about experience, and classes, etc. It wasn't hard, and was very enjoyable.

Accountant Interview

Interview

I submitted my application and had a phone interview within a day or two. They called me back to set up an interview for the next week. They seemed very eager to fill the position. I met with 3 accounting managers and a director. Then my interview ended with meeting with HR who kind of gives you a personality quiz. I was there for about 3 hours in total. The managers discussed the position and what it entailed and asked general questions about my skills. As I finished up with the director he told me that I had everything they were looking for. However they continued to still interview for a few weeks and got a system generated email saying the position had been filled. It was a bit frustrating because from everyone's comments I really thought I had the job. Also it was difficult trying to get a response from anyone about how the process was going. It also seems that despite what your told or the urgency that they took their time filling the position.