Occidental Petroleum Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 15, 2017

2.6

Landman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

3 panel interview, HR interview, Went through resume, why I wanted to work at OXY, why should they pick me, what was I most proud of at previous job, what was a failure at previous job

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum.

Interview

Oxy was present in our career fair. They were hiring students for internships and full time opportunities in Houston in the corporate headquarters and Midland, a field office.There were 2 people in the interview.

Reservoir Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I had a brief screening phone call and then was called for an in-person interview with the Team Lead, the Division Lead and HR manager. I first met with the Team Lead and Department Head for about 45 minutes where they asked a lot of standard questions with some questions to describe my technical skills in details. The interview with the HR manager was mostly discussion of the benefits and compensation range.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about an accomplishment that you are proud of.   Answer Question

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (College Station, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview was not technical at all. We basically just went over my interview and I was asked questions about experience, and classes, etc. It wasn't hard, and was very enjoyable.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

I talked with them at my university career fair and applied through my university website as well as their company website. We talked about my resume for majority of the interview and they were only able to ask two behavioral questions at the end because we were running out of time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you went above and beyond to accomplish a task.   Answer Question
    • What is a mistake you have made and how did you learn from it?   Answer Question

Geology Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

First brief interview at career expo. Follow up phone interview. I would say the interview was majority behavioral questions, and then discussion about both my own resume and the two interviewers. Was generally a positive interview experience, learned a great deal about both interviewers' history and they were very informational.

Senior Engineering Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX).

Interview

Got a call from someone who had met me in a project review panel and wanted to discuss opportunities with me. Process was informal until it got into HR hands (i.e. I was recommended for hire). Then HR followed a very thorough background check, needs assessment and salary negotiation. I.e. HR tries to negotiate the best dal for OXY, where as the recommender for hire can provide the ultimate thumbs up thumbs down on any deal.

Accountant Interview

Interview

I submitted my application and had a phone interview within a day or two. They called me back to set up an interview for the next week. They seemed very eager to fill the position. I met with 3 accounting managers and a director. Then my interview ended with meeting with HR who kind of gives you a personality quiz. I was there for about 3 hours in total. The managers discussed the position and what it entailed and asked general questions about my skills. As I finished up with the director he told me that I had everything they were looking for. However they continued to still interview for a few weeks and got a system generated email saying the position had been filled. It was a bit frustrating because from everyone's comments I really thought I had the job. Also it was difficult trying to get a response from anyone about how the process was going. It also seems that despite what your told or the urgency that they took their time filling the position.

IT Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX).

Interview

Interviews consisted of 3 levels, First was with HR rep - this part was not the smoothest of the three interviews, greeted with a smile that immediately turned to a frown for no reason, this seemed odd but in hind site should have been an indicator. The next interview was with the hiring manager. He is now gone and was one of the best managers I ever worked for. There are not many left like him. The next interview was with functional team members. This went well.

Interview Questions

• Previous Salary, knowledge related questions, things have changed allot since my interview 10 years ago. Cultural fit seems to carry more weight these days.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Be sure you get it in writing.

Maintenance Superintendent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Porte, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (La Porte, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online, got a call to do a phone screen with HR person, conducted phone screen, got invitation to do phone interview with hiring manager, conducted phone interview. Got invitation to do an onsite interview, conducted interview with 4 panels of 3 people and the hiring manager. Everything seemed to go smooth, got a call a week later with the hiring manager saying he was making a verbal offer and he was preparing a written offer and he would be back to me in a week per Oxy's policy. After 3 weeks of waiting on Oxy's HR and Hiring Manager and them ignoring my communications and phone calls, got a phone call from hiring manager saying position went to an internal hire and he was "sorry" and he "fumbled" but asked me if I wanted to reinterview for a lesser position.

I have never been treated so poorly by a company as a potential employer, makes you wonder how ethical is this company. I will never consider Oxy for another position.

Interview Questions

• Just asked standard STAR and some basic technical questions, no gotcha questions   Answer Question