Occidental Petroleum College-hire Geologist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 9, 2017

2.6

92 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Geology Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum.

Interview

Originally had screen interview at hiring expo, then received a phone interview with two senior geophysicists. First covered my background and resume / technical experience, then answered several behavioral questions, then asked a few questions of interviewer. Overall was a pleasant, informative experience. Was told I would hear in a certain time frame, and heard within that exact amount of time.

Interview Questions

• Please describe a time you failed, and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Occidental Petroleum

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum.

Interview

I spoke to Oxy recruiters at a career fair and applied online through my university career website and Oxy's website. Contacted me through email for an interview at my university. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and was a straight forward behavioral interview, nothing caught me off guard.

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (College Station, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview was done at my university campus. Really pleasant interview and easy going interviewer. First he described the role of interns at OXY then he began to ask me a little about myself. Then at the end he asked me a few behavioral questions. Waiting to hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest achievement?   1 Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Had an on-campus interview before I was invited to interview on-site. I was not sure that I was going to get an interview since at career fair the recruiter took my resume and only talked to me for 5 minutes before knowing he was done talking. The on-campus interview was regular behavioral questions and I found out I was invited for on-site the following week. During the on-site interview you are given an overview of the site, the chance to talk to a current process engineer, and a tour of the site you are interviewing at. The interview itself was a panel interview, where you go over your resume before they ask specific questions of projects you have done. They look at how you prioritize your work and how you challenge obstacles. Be able to talk very specific about your experiences (ex. what step took the longest? how did you prioritize your planning on this project?).

Data Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Austin, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

Extremely personable interviewer who gave me some great advice, but who also let me know that they simply will not hire people with a GPA below 3.0. I understand the policy and we continued talking for a time anyways but it irked me that the interviewer seemed to like me so much and then abruptly had to let me down despite openly disagreeing with that policy because of people like me (GPA just below 3.0 but otherwise great candidate). Isn't there a reason companies hire recruiters? To make hiring decisions that go beyond numeric filters perhaps? Anyways, that kind of irked me (and it seemed to irk the recruiter!). I hope that OXY reconsiders that policy.

To anyone in my position: You are more than a number. Eventually, you will find a company that values you as a whole person and treats you like so.

Interview Questions

• Simple enough stuff, describing past work experience and how it has changed you. Also some straightforward questions about coursework. Had to cut it short but it seemed mostly behavioral.   1 Answer

Chemical Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pedricktown, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Pedricktown, NJ) in April 2017.

Interview

you must take a written test first (not rocket science, then you may get called for an interview,
    I had one of their HR guys from Houston, Plant Manager, Lead operator and Operations manager at the interview. Seemed like square guys

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been asked to do something in a certain way, when you had a better way to do it
      What would you do if you had an issue with a co worker   1 Answer

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Dallas, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

First received an email from HR recruiter to schedule a phone screening, recruiter was with Oxy and job was at OxyChem. Next had phone interview with hiring manager and then flew to Dallas for an onsite interview. The onsite interview consisted of a panel, an accounting manager, and the hiring manager. I received an offer in May after interviewing in March. I was also told I'd be reimbursed for interview expenses I paid for, but I am still $50 out of my own money in July and have not received responses from the numerous people I have emailed. So beware if asked to take an uber/taxi that you might not ever get that money back.

Interview Questions

• Typical star method questions and asking about my experiences   Answer Question

Landman Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

3 panel interview, HR interview, Went through resume, why I wanted to work at OXY, why should they pick me, what was I most proud of at previous job, what was a failure at previous job

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

Mainly Behavioral questions. Also some questions in general about the Industry. I was asked about What will it mean for me to work here. Just dress nice and Look Sharp. Also most importantly Be yourself, they aren't looking for a perfectionist.

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum.

Interview

Oxy was present in our career fair. They were hiring students for internships and full time opportunities in Houston in the corporate headquarters and Midland, a field office.There were 2 people in the interview.