Occidental Petroleum Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 15, 2017

2.6

IT Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX).

Interview

Interviews consisted of 3 levels, First was with HR rep - this part was not the smoothest of the three interviews, greeted with a smile that immediately turned to a frown for no reason, this seemed odd but in hind site should have been an indicator. The next interview was with the hiring manager. He is now gone and was one of the best managers I ever worked for. There are not many left like him. The next interview was with functional team members. This went well.

Interview Questions

• Previous Salary, knowledge related questions, things have changed allot since my interview 10 years ago. Cultural fit seems to carry more weight these days.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Be sure you get it in writing.

Maintenance Superintendent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Porte, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (La Porte, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online, got a call to do a phone screen with HR person, conducted phone screen, got invitation to do phone interview with hiring manager, conducted phone interview. Got invitation to do an onsite interview, conducted interview with 4 panels of 3 people and the hiring manager. Everything seemed to go smooth, got a call a week later with the hiring manager saying he was making a verbal offer and he was preparing a written offer and he would be back to me in a week per Oxy's policy. After 3 weeks of waiting on Oxy's HR and Hiring Manager and them ignoring my communications and phone calls, got a phone call from hiring manager saying position went to an internal hire and he was "sorry" and he "fumbled" but asked me if I wanted to reinterview for a lesser position.

I have never been treated so poorly by a company as a potential employer, makes you wonder how ethical is this company. I will never consider Oxy for another position.

Interview Questions

• Just asked standard STAR and some basic technical questions, no gotcha questions   Answer Question

Senior Mobile Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

My first interview was a phone interview with the hiring manager, and the a few members of the team. He was very friendly and asked general experience questions based on my resume. He also gave me good insight into the company and expectations of the position. One particular thing he made a point of mentioning a few times is that this position is not a 'head down and code' position, which I will get to later. The rest of the phone interview was with members of the team. They asked about my experience and the usual stuff. It all went very well.

I was selected to come in for a face-to-face interview and meet the team after a week or two. I flew down and met the HR rep for the team for 30 mins. She was very kind and gave me a lot of good information about the benefits, etc. It was a very productive discussion. Then I met the hiring manager in person for 30 mins. It, again, was a very good discussion and very productive. I felt I was a direct fit for the job. He again mentioned that it was a position that was not a 'head down and code' job. So I made sure to mention, and even emphasize, my skill set beyond just coding. My current position and the position at Oxy require a lot of same skills. Organization, communication with non-technical departments, architecting, etc. The last 30 minutes were with two team members. There was a lot of discussion about my current role and skill set. Again I mentioned a bit of my non-development work as well just because this seemed to be an important facet of the role. I left very excited and looking forward to hearing back.

Well, the hiring contact told me everything was great and went very well and I should hear something soon. After a week passed, I contacted him again and he said they were just having trouble sitting down for a meeting to discuss the interview. Then another week, and another, until it had been two months since the interview with no feedback. I was told everything was great and they really liked me. Then, finally, I called one last time and was told that they had offered and hired someone else that day. They said the team had the impression I was some sort of manager and not a hands-on developer. They had been worried about for two months but never thought to ask me, or have another interview for clarity, or anything. It was extremely disappointing as the signals I got from the hiring manager was that this was a job that required more than just development, so I made sure to emphasize I can do the soft side as well, yet I was not offered because I emphasized it enough that it made them wonder. Very strange. My resume is full of current development experience. And none of these concerns were communicated to me during the process. Just a very odd and disappointing process for a position I felt was a great fit for everyone.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone and they all seemed like very good people, but there seemed to be some obvious communication issues.

Interview Questions

• Do you develop with Xamarin Forms?   1 Answer

Field Drilling Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum in September 2015.

Interview

I went through on campus recruiting and secured an interview going through my schools online application process. After applying and waiting a few days I was contacted via email for an interview. I was able to accept my offer online.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you tried at something and did not succeed   Answer Question

Chemical Operator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum in July 2015.

Interview

I applied on-line; received an e-mail to take an in-person pre-employment test. The test consisted of 3 parts: reading comprehension, math, & an about you section. The test was timed, but there was each section is very doable in the allotted time. A couple weeks later I was notified that I received a qualifying score on the test, but did not get invited for a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions

• What percent of total production for the week was accomplished on Thursday? Given a table with production amounts for each day & department.   Answer Question

Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, HR sent Analytical and Excel assessment after 1 week. Both are pretty easy. For Excel test, you can go to YouTube, there is a tutorial video called ProveIt Excel assessment test. About 1 week later, HR called and asked few questions like what do you do, why you want to leave, salary,, benefit etc. Then HR set up an interview with engineering team in another 1 week. I had 2 interview in 1 day because they having 2 engineering team working on same project, both are looking for 2 Eng Tech candidates, it was a panel interview where there were 2 Eng Tech, 3 Eng, 2 Eng lead, and 1 IT. Total 8 divided into 2 group

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. What do you do on your daily basis? What software/program are you using? How do you maintain/manage database? what projects are you working on? Why are you leaving? Why do you want to work here? What are the most challenging thing have you experienced at your previous employer? The rest, they asked base on your resume   Answer Question

Summer Engineering Interview

Interview

I had an interview on a Thursday afternoon with two young engineers who were both very friendly and nice - they mostly asked behavioral interview questions. The interview took around 30 minutes, and by the end of it I knew it was going well because they started asking me more questions about transportation, et cetera.

Interview Questions

• They asked one surprisingly technical question (what's a technical problem you've faced and how did you handle it) which took me by surprise because I was a freshman in college.   Answer Question

Risk Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Houston, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Not convinced that the company is serious about hiring. Several qualified cohorts all interviewed for this role. We shared experiences - all too similar But we were all able to place with other Fortune 100s.

Reporting Mgr seems to not have found the right candidate with the perfect dumb-downed experience or the goal is to just exploit resumes.

Our conclusion...company is not serious.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum (Bakersfield, CA).

Interview

This process wasn't too bad. Can't remember the exact order but all pretty straight forward. Put in application, received a phone call from HR regarding my application and to setup an interview. Went through the interview, had a background check and drug test done. Received a phone call the next day letting me know I was hired (that was fast, I'm assuming they really needed someone.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were simple for any computer technician to answer if you've been in the industry. There really wasn't a hard or difficult set of questions if you've been through any interview. Most were technical questions, but the others centered around VIP and customer needs.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate based on my previous salary and work experience. Don't push too hard, be reasonable and it will benefit you.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Occidental Petroleum.

Interview

I applied through a recruiting event. The only negative thing was that they told me to expect a call, but they never got back to me. I would have appreciated it if they told me I didn't get the internship so I could make other plans.

Interview Questions

• They really just asked about my resume and experience. Nothing difficult.   Answer Question