Octopus Investments Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Octopus Investments Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2017

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Octopus Investments (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

The process was an informal telephone interview with an initial walk through of my experience.

However the role, I was scheduled to interview for was no longer available and the interviewer thought they were interviewing me for a different role. Which I was unaware of.

I found the interviewer open, honest and friendly and once we had cleared up the confusion we left it on good terms.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience   1 Answer

Asset Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Octopus Investments (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Three step process with hiring manager, HR, more top management and wider team. A total of ten people met during the interview process and a case study in a one to one format. Overall, the process was very confusing and I received contradictory messages between managers and HR. There was no flexibility in the interview dates which can be a problem as well.

Interview Questions

• How would your friends describe you? What are your motivations?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Octopus Investments (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Two parts; first part was with potential line manager and second was with HR Director.
    First part with my potential line manager went well, usual questions regarding career history, what I knew about the department/company and a more informal discussion on make-up of the industry and the ongoing challenges in the industry.

Second part with the HR Director was in my opinion terrible. She started off asking me "why are you looking to leave your current company?" From this point on I knew she hadn't looked at my cover letter/CV as she would've seen that I was being made redundant! (lol) ... She then went on to ask some weak competency questions that you would generally ask a 16-18 year old applying for a weekend job.

A couple weeks later I received a call apologising on the lengthy decision for a follow-up interview and was told that I would hear from them by end of the next week. The end of the next week came and I didn't hear anything. I followed up and received a bounce back email that the HR director had left. I then contacted another colleague in the HR department who said they will follow-up and get back to me by end of the week...4 months on I still haven't heard back.

Overall experience was a tale of two sides, my potential line manager came across very well and someone who I would've liked to work with to. The other side, similar to many of the reviews on here is that as Octopus like to band on with their "culture / ethos" they should look to appoint some HR people with these actual beliefs!

Interview Questions

Octopus Investments Response

May 18, 2017 – Octopus Team

We are very sorry to hear about your recent experience and are really disappointed to have let you down like this. Feedback is really important to us and we would love to get in touch with you to get... More

Portfolio Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Octopus Investments (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Interview process was quick and well organised. Six interviews over two separate days, ranging from HR to team heads. Culture is hugely important within this company, that was clear from the offset. Everyone was friendly and made me feel comfortable. There were plenty of difficult questions but I got the impression they are more concerned about how you deal with them or just you don't know. Was my most enjoyable interview process. Case study is mandatory but completely manageable, lots of competency questions to ensure culture fit. Most friendly and helpful HR contacts I have come across.

Interview Questions

• Culture is a huge factor here. Many personal questions.   1 Answer

Reconciliations Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Octopus Investments (London, England (UK)).

Interview

5 interviews in total. one with recruitment, one with a senior member of Organisation Development (HR), two with management in my team and one with the manager of the division. I thought the process was one that is needed to find the best candidates, the company stresses the importance of the right fit, both for the company and for the role. Thus, I think the 5 interviews were necessary, even though at the time I didn't really understand the need for that many. A large part of all the interviews is having a good connection with all of the interviewees, so if you're a fun loving, likeable person, then you're on the right track. That said, they want to hire the most intelligent people, so they are quite demanding in the people they hire. My process was relatively quick as I had two interviews back-to-back at the first stage, then 3 back-to-back at the second stage.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for octopus investments?   1 Answer

Finance Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Octopus Investments.

Interview

Interview lasted 25 minutes, hiring manager on holiday so was taken by another manager, at which point I was told the second part will take place with someone from HR, who was then unavailable. Had no feedback since, poor service all round.

Testing Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Octopus Investments (London, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview was in 3 stages:
    1. Face to face interview with my eventual line manager
    2. Face to face interviews with the heads of delivery and IT. There was also a Skype interview with the head of HR who was not in the office on that day.
    3. Face to face interview with the COO

Ops Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Octopus Investments.

Interview

Spoke with them some time ago. They took over four weeks to get back to me, so I chased them. Their response was very wide of the mark, saying I didn't have skills in the area I'd been in for 3 years. I went on to a 'Head of' role elsewhere.
    I found them very unimpressive. Combine that with the other reviews on here and I think I did well to avoid them.

Content Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Octopus Investments (London, England (UK)) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online and I received an invitation for an interview about one week later. They were very flexible in setting up the date and time but
    the interview was terrible and it was over in 15 minutes. The HR lady I met simply wasn't interested or didn't like me from the start. She was very abrupt and condescending.

Senior Management Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Octopus Investments (London, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

Four separate visits to 33 Holborn, first of which was meeting with the hiring Sales Director. Next was three 30 minute sessions one with HR, two other 1:1 - each of them seemed to centre around one of their key values, e.g. Customer, personality matters, better and better. Next session was over 2.5 hours, people management role play, business simulation, structured interview. Final meeting was with the CEO who meets every recruit at point of offer for his final 'rubber stamp'. I have been told of some candidates who had made it all the way through the process only to fall at final hurdle. CEO has a very clear philosophy - it is a private business, everyone represents him and the company and he wants to make a personal check that there will be a good fit. All done over three weeks. Whilst a long drawn out process, on a positive note, it gives you plenty of opportunity to check them out as well as them checking out you and by the time you've met up to 9 of the team, you get a good feel for the culture. For me, a very good experience. A little more protracted than it needs to be and I'm told by the recruitment agency that the hit rate is c 1in 50 get taken on - not surprising therefore that some people don't like the experience as they don't make it through.

Interview Questions

• What work achievement in the last 12 months are you most proud of and why?   Answer Question