Office Depot Assistant Merchant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.5

2 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Assistant Merchant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Office Depot (Boca Raton, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

Lengthy. You have to meet with at least 6 people, any of whom you will not have contact with in the job you're applying for. Takes forever for HR to get back to you.

Interview Questions

• Reviewed resume and asked standard questions about each position: what was your greatest accomplishment? Why did you leave? What did you innovate or better?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Office Depot

Assistant Merchant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview

To start: I was career switcher and didn't have any Merchandising experience when pursuing an Assistant Merchant job, but I did have 10 years of management and director level experience in operations. That was very hard to overcome since I was viewed as "over qualified". I was prescreened by HR, which consisted of a 15 minute conversation covering high level qualifying questions for the position and pay. I was then scheduled for a day of interviews with 8 hiring Directors. Each interviewed was a two person panel that lasted about 45 minutes. The interview style varied but the core questions were the same from all. I didn't receive an offer. The feedback I received from a few interviewers: internal candidates offered more relevant experience; not having retail experience put me at a disadvantage; my level of experience over qualified me.

The result: I got a 9th interview a few weeks later and received an offer. That interview stemmed from recommendations given by a few of the hiring Directors.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a litany of "how would you handle" questions. These questions covered many critical problems Merchants face. Inventory issues, retail space problems, product issues, uncompetitive pricing, loss of marketing space...etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered more than I asked. My offer was based on my career experience.