Office Depot Department Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Office Depot Department Manager Interview Questions

2.4

30 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview

Standard process no real curve balls. If you have been through even a couple of interviews then you will do just fine. I don't know what else to add. Good luck and take a deep breath.

Anonymous Employee in Montgomery, AL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Office Depot (Montgomery, AL) in June 2015.

Interview

You apply online to their website and then submit to a People Answers assessment. If selected you are generally called in for a first interview with the management team. Afterwards, if you pass that particular phase, you will be asked to return for a second interview and possibly a third with the store manager. Considering that the position is managerial in nature, often times a District Manager may also conduct and additional interview. Assuming that you pass those interviews, you will be given a background check and the offer will be contingent upon you passing the background check.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Coral Springs, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Office Depot (Coral Springs, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

This was pretty informal. Interviewed with Assistant manager and then with Manger. I had a resume with me and we covered the high points, I pointed out how my experience could help him. I got very positive feedback but ultimately couldn't agree on money.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Office Depot (Austin, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Initial interview with assistant store manager, final with store manager. You get asked basic customer service questions and how well you interact with customers. If you get the past the first interview, the rest is a piece of cake. Show up early and talk a lot about customer service and that you want a challenge.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Office Depot (Houston, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied on line. I took an online personallity test and simple math test. Within a week, a manager called me for an interview. I interview with 3 store managers. A background check was done. A urine test was submitted. After passing all tests. I was hired.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Attempted to negotiate salary but it was fixed.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Office Depot (Dallas, TX) in July 2013.

Interview

First fill out online application, then take the online assessment test. Two interview process, once with assistant manager, next with store manager. You may get interviewed for the store you applied for, or you may get interviewed for another store in the area, their choice. The entire process really depends on the manager you are dealing with. I actually interviewed with a few good managers in my process, they just kept moving me to different locations to get my position. The store I actually worked in, the store manager was not a good interviewer and didn't treat applicants well.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Office Depot in July 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter based on a resume I had posted with an on-line job board. We scheduled a time for a phone interview--the recruiter based in Chicago would call me at the appointed time. She was 15 minutes late, but the interview went well. She was very personable, and the questions were fairly standard behavioral questions--"Describe your most difficult sale", "Tell me about a time when you had a disappointed customer", "What did you enjoy most about your last job".

I asked some questions at the end, but it was left very positive. She said she was going to recommend me for an interview with the store manager. She said to be sure to complete the on-line application, and take the on-line assessment. If I do not hear anything within 2 days of completing that, to give her a call. She wanted to be sure I "did not fall through the cracks" because I was " a great candidate".

The on-line application took some time because there was not a job posting for the store for which I interviewed, and the system froze whenever I attempted to download my resume. I finally just copied and pasted it. I sent the recruiter an e-mail alerting her to the issues, and I also let her know that I had completed the assessment. The assessment is fairly standard, although some of the questions were a bit tricky--"I never lie", "I never think about not following the rules"--if you're really honest, you cannot say you Strongly Agree to those 2 (especially the first one). In any event it was all completed and I waited the two plus days--no word. I e-mailed the recruiter per her instructions--no word. I called the recruiter a couple of days later and left a voice message--no word. Obviously, I got the message and stopped following up.

I question the value of using 3rd party recruiters when they lie to candidates, and are too lazy to follow up as they promise. It certainly paints a poor picture for me of the quality of the employer--Office Depot in this instance--when they utilize such sloppy recruiters for such a key business function.

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview

Easy interview, just wear nice clothes and shave. As long as you pass the 110 question survey you will get the offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Office Depot.

Interview

Customer experience, retail experience, tech experience, decision quality

Interview Questions

• Situational awareness questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

na

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Office Depot (Atlanta, GA) in April 2013.

Interview

Store Manager, District Manager, Other Store Manager.
    Excessive due diligence for a 10 / hour job, bordering on ridiculous.
    The interviewers were polite and professional but failed to follow-up when the position was filled internally. Nobody likes to be left hanging.