Office of Management and Budget Interview Questions | Glassdoor

4.7

Interviews for Top Jobs at Office of Management and Budget

Program Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Office of Management and Budget (Washington, DC).

Interview

I declined to go to second interview--accepted another job. But interviewers wanted to know how my former experienced would fit at OMB. 3 interviewers-all women, white. I noticed that this place is NOT MULTICULTURALAT ALL! EXTREMELY low proportion of Blacks & Hispanics,high majority white women and men--odd considering this office should be a leader in representing the cultural diversity of U.S. agencies.

Interview Questions

• What is the number one issue I think is the problem within a certain topic area that I applied for?   Answer Question

Analyst GS-15 Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Office of Management and Budget in April 2016.

Interview

Very poor logistical set up. Passed off at least three times to a new contact. The method of the interview discussed beforehand was not the one followed. Staff conducted the interviews like it was a big hassle to their daily assignments. Three 30 minutes sessions with groups of 2-3 staff.

Interview Questions

• what work experience demonstrates you have experience as a consumer of regulation and a producer of regulation?   Answer Question

Not a politically correct or diverse background of employees.

The office was in shambles between moves to a better location...

The employees seemed to be in covert competition to impress each other.

An imbalanced work environment.

Intern Interview

Interview

Applied through a school avenue, and had a quick response within the end of the business day. The interview was conducted over the phone, as I was out of town, and it was relatively straightforward - mostly about interest, availability, and the like. They offered me the position on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to answer questions that show your direct interest (the blog, for instance).   Answer Question

Program Examiner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Office of Management and Budget (Washington, DC) in November 2011.

Interview

I was phoned and asked to come in for an interview later that same week. It was difficult to fit it in, given such short notice, but I managed to make it work since I was a local candidate.

I waited in the lobby for 15 minutes. Everyone who walked through the door said, "good morning!"

"What a great start," I thought to myself.

I was interviewed by a panel of three people, one branch chief and two program examiners. The branch chief was much too serious for my taste. He acted like he was screening people to be Navy SEALs. Before introducing himself or welcoming me, he started off by saying, "This place is sink or swim! Sink or swim! Do you think you can handle that kind of pressure!?" I told them I was very buoyant....which produced not one hint of a smile.

Uh oh.

In the beginning of the interview, during the introductions, I asked some additional questions about the background of the panel, so I could better understand how I would fit into the team. I was told that I would be permitted to ask questions at the end of the interview, and my time had not come yet.

I would give a detailed account of a project I completed at work, only for them to follow up with, "Can't you give us an answer that's more substantive?"

They're sharp people. Really smart; The rumors about OMB attracting the brightest people in gov't might just be true. I was especially impressed with the poise of the younger interviewers.

However...I would never work there. Ever. Does being intelligent and good at your job preclude being a warm and welcoming person? Was it all just a ruse to see how I'd react under pressure? Who knows, but I'm sure they miss out on a lot of great candidates with that ridiculous interviewing style. By some accounts, I'm an accomplished, hard-working, happy-go-lucky person. But that's clearly not the type of automaton they're seeking to fill their ranks.